1/35th Australian M3 Lee

God dammit these builds seem to creep up on you far faster than you expect and it’s not even a quarter of the way through the year and build #3 (or #4 if I ever manage to get the MiG started). :frantic:

Well time something a bit different for me….a Tank   :D  … hopefully my success rate with finishing them will improve!! :think:

This is a by pure chance GB, as I just happened to see this model and couldn’t resist, MiniArt’s M3 Lee.

IMG_6506-L.jpg

This model comes with a complete interior and probably more sprues than I have ever seen in a box… I lost count after 40 odd!

IMG_6507-L.jpg

IMG_6508-L.jpg

Now you’d think you would need any AM extras with this model…….. but you are wrong, there’s always room for AM extras!

In this case a nice Master metal barrel replacement set, though I still may swap it back to a short barrel version.

IMG_6675-L.jpg

It wasn’t until after I bought this model that I discovered there was an Australian version as well, though the store didn’t have it at the time….bugga! :doh:

So could I build one from this model?

Well, it turns out I can pretty much do it without any real effort. This model has all the extra sprue/parts required to build an Aussie one (plus most of the others in the Lee series as well) but for one part, the turret hatch. The Aussie versions did away with the third turret and just replaced it with a hatch cover, so will have to scratch build that bit, that shouldn’t be hard.

Plus if I want to fit the side skirts that were on some of these, Eduard do a nice replacement set if I decide to fit them.

Schemes are pretty basic, interestingly these AVF’s were only used in training, they never operated outside of Australia. Their deficiencies were well know and they were replaced by M4’s and Matilda’s.

scheme%201-M.jpg

scheme%202-M.jpg

This should be a nice simple straightforward build, so no Friul Model tracks, even though they are lovely and do look fantastic! I really have a low completion rate with AFV’s, hopefully this will be different this time!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

they never operated outside of Australia

The Lees didn't but there were three M3A5 Grants deployed to Balikpapan and one of them made a combat patrol on 19 July 1945, but it never fired a shot. So theoretically you could do an Aussie action scene, kinda. With a bit of aftermarket, if you like that sort of thing...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, diases said:

Can you get 1/35 scale Kangaroo's🧐

Paul

7 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

I dont think the bipedal type are available in 1/35 but we might see its armored brethren in the GB 😛 

1029693-13385-45-pristine.jpg

Just saw one of these last week on a shelf, it came very close to coming home and replacing my scratch-built one. 

• Like 2

If your after some good references on line there's plenty of photos at the AWM web site and this site towards the bottom has Aussie M3 references 

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m3grant/m3grant.html

David Doyles M3 book is full of great detail photos and technical information on the Lee and Grant including their development history and use. Pricey but a great reference>

https://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/m3-lee-grant-david-doyle/p/9780993564680?gclid=Cj0KCQiAybaRBhDtARIsAIEG3kmfbCu8IWwmAOgjachCoQMKAkuCUhUyQmJl7DAV8KI4cuwI2bLeP_8aAvwAEALw_wcB

Bob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoppy said:

David Doyles M3 book is full of great detail photos and technical information on the Lee and Grant including their development history and use. Pricey but a great reference>

I second that. It's 470 large pages of information, with hundreds of photos, including a lot of interior ones taken during manufacture in the US. I read it from cover to cover last year. It's well written and easy to digest. Unfortunately, it's over £40 in UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M3-Lee-Grant-production-foundation/dp/0993564682

Hi Rich. Welcome to the GB. Great to have you here with what looks to be a really impressive kit!! Looks like it will keep you very busy!! I'm looking forward to following your progress. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1