Colby Crane - Apollo Saturn V LUT

Greetings!

This is part of a much bigger 1/96 scale Apollo Saturn V and LUT project that is nearing completion after many months of work - more on this later.  The Colby Crane sits at the top of the LUT and represented one of the more challenging components of the overall build due to the complicated open girder construction.  Scratch built from various styrene, brass, and paper materials with various photographs and diagrams as reference guides.  The machinery housing is from the Edu-Craft Diversions paper kit.  The mast is hinged and can displayed up or down as desired.  Finished with a variety of paints and sealed with flat clear, weathering will be done along with the overall LUT once completed.  Many thanks for a having a look.  Questions and comments always welcome!

Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks everyone for having a look and commenting.  The LUT is moving forward and nearing completion!  Working now on the Saturn V so it can be mounted on the LUT for final detailing.  Next big challenge will be finding a place to display the completed build.

Bill

• Like 1

That's great work; I'm having waking nightmares thinking about how you aligned the truss-work, you've either got some fantastic jigs, nerves of ice, or both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mass said:

That's great work; I'm having waking nightmares thinking about how you aligned the truss-work, you've either got some fantastic jigs, nerves of ice, or both.

Many thanks!  I used carefully cut wood blocks to create an alignment jig for the basic structure.  This greatly helped to keep things lined up properly.

Bill

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

Great work indeed! Bravo.

Thank you Roberto!

On 3/21/2022 at 1:52 PM, Blue Monday said:

Your crane is a work of art.

BM.

Thank you!

On 3/24/2022 at 5:10 AM, Maginot said:

This is quite the project. Nice work so far.

Many thanks, the LUT project is moving forward and I hope to post some WIP images soon.