Chipmunk paint scheme question

bar side

Hi. Have a couple of questions about the paint & markings on the Airfix 1/48 Chippie.  I want a classic red & white one and the kit offers no. 28 (WB585) as painted in preservation.  I would like her as she was in the 80s (presuming she was still about then), if not late 70s)  I have never been one to blindly believe paint & decal instructions I had a google.  This is the Airfix scheme

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvr2M5PWSrtpez3xZH5_4

Then I found this.  Not the same unit but very similar scheme.  Slightly different anti glare panel and a number on the nose under the prop?

And this.  Black Ariel ahead of the tail and number further up the nose and an all red tail

35-5.jpg

And this.  Number further back and the ariel again.

Now I know nothing about the Chipmunk in service, so any help getting this nearer the original the better.  Annoyingly my usual go to of ABPic seems to have no earlier pics of WB585 before the preservation repaint.  I assume  she was on that squadron at some point but don’t know where to go to check

Edited by Julien
no copyright photos pls

Bar Side,

'WB585' as depicted in the Airfix kit is accurate to her appearance as a preserved aircraft, her civvy reg is G-AOSY. Unfortunately (according to Air-Britain RAF Aircraft WA100 to WZ999) she was sold from RAF service way back in 1956, long before the scheme she now wears came in to use. If you've got spare decals, you could do WG348 as the actual 28 of 2 FTS back in 1972, image here.

Bear in mind there were two iterations of the red/white/grey scheme used on the Chipmunk and that on 'WB585' is the first version of it, with WK590 in your selection of images showing the second version of it. Points to note include the differing split between the red and grey on the mainplanes and the all red finish of the tailplanes in the second version.

There are a lot of variations, mostly small details, across the different units that used the Chipmunk and where they placed codes, badges, names etc. The best advice I can give from my own trawls through Chipmunk images is pick one and get as many images of it as you can and study the bejezus out of it! Just when you think you've got all the details pinned down, you'll spot something else. Ask me how I know.....

Mark.

• Like 3

Cheers @Harry Lime that’s most useful.  I think I need to raid the decal stash & see if I can do a new code for an aircraft I can find photo references for.  As you say WG348 is a good candidate as the 28 will still work.  At least they didn’t have large underwing codes - or did they later?

7 hours ago, bar side said:

At least they didn’t have large underwing codes - or did they later?

All RAF Chipmunks had underwing serial numbers up until the mid to late 80's when they started to be dispensed with, along with a number of other RAF types. This was a gradual process, being done when an aircraft was due a repaint. Some Chipmunks retained underwing serials until the end so check your references if you find one you like.

Mark.

• Like 2

Thanks again @Harry Lime I was beginning to think so.  Airfix have only included one set of decals with under wing serials and she was the 1949 Farnborough display aircraft.  I think it’s going to be after market decals

• Like 1

bar side - don't fret, it seems surprisingly few people are aware of the two Chipmunk R/W/LAG schemes.

Here's what I wrote earlier about the Airfix kit choice:

Airfix have used a restored Chipmunk, G-AOSY, as both the boxtop art subject and one of the decal choices. No complaints here if you're modelling this particular aircraft (I've seen/touched/fondled this aircraft and it's simply stunning - indeed, if ever I was to have a Chipmunk restored in the UK then I'd be beating a path to Vintage Fabrics) but if you wish to model a 2 FTS aircraft in the 1971 to 1974 period in that gorgeous "Blue Chips" scheme then the presentation will have to be slightly different:

1). "28" with the "Blue Chips" was WG348 not WB585,

2) the black/white spinner/propeller depicted on the box top is chronologically impossible - 2 FTS disbanded in 1974 while that propeller scheme appeared in 1977,

3) all 2 FTS Chipmunks carried underwing serials

4) all 2 FTS Chipmunks carried the prominent two UHF antennae "blades" on the aft fuselage and lastly

5) some 2 FTS Chipmunks had their wing roundels positioned further aft so that they ended at the flap/wing line which then alters the relationship between the roundel and the Red/Grey division.

• Like 4

Thanks @Rod Blievers that’s a great summary.  The kit in preservation scheme is, I am sure, very nice.  But I wanted a 1980s red & white operational Chippie.  Not tied to the Blue Chips scheme, so it would be underwings serials, UHF antenna and black & white prop.  I guess aftermarket decals will be the answer

I have been having a look through the Xtradecal options for 1980s red & white Chipmunks, and WD310 seems a good option.  Still active in the 80s & turned up at Alconbury & Coltishall in photos.  Nice underwing serials & reference photos so I think that may settle it

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/abpic-media-eu-production/pictures/full_size_093/1139983-large.jpg

If you're a connoisseur of slightly non-standard colour schemes (like me), then the Chipmunks of EFTS and FSS are well worth a look.

As already mentioned, here's WD310/H at EFTS c1984. The aircraft wears the second R/W/LAG scheme but retains the red wingroot fairings from its earlier scheme. Note too the sloped rigid VHF antenna mounted on the tailcone.

51943062835_91bb70928d_c.jpg

WG478/J with FSS c1980. This one retains the original R/W/LAG scheme (despite it being 8 years since the second scheme was promulgated) and has the black/white striped spinner/propeller blades - a rare combination. I've yet to see a photo of this one sporting a badge.

51943053030_b49f9942a7_k.jpg

WP980/E with EFTS, possibly 1989. Similar markings to WD310.

51941453807_bb4e48191a_c.jpg

WP844/H of FSS, c1980. At first glance, a Chipmunk wearing the first scheme but closer examination reveals Red elevators (they should be grey in this scheme). A replacement item perhaps?

51942528223_0d19fa6bab_k.jpg

Edited by Rod Blievers

Not wishing to belabour the point (who, me?) here are some side-by-side comparisons of the two R/W/LAG schemes. While both aircraft are restorations, the markings and schemes are accurate - I have to say that as I was involved with both!

51944622979_1e1bda4899_h.jpgchippies by Rod Blievers, on Flickr

51943323447_7ed4e1519a_b.jpgIMG_1564 by Rod Blievers, on Flickr

51495530966_4b07feed73_b.jpgIMG_6471 by Rod Blievers, on Flickr

• Like 5