Thunderbird 2 1/350 Adventures in Plastic [Finished!]

Ravnos

Thanks for that. Pocket money wasn't a lot back then, maybe 6d a week (If I was good).

4/6 was Birthday money, and there were so many other things to buy!

Thinking about it though, we were probably up to Thunderbirds times, before I started modelling.

Even more choice by then!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Thanks for that. Pocket money wasn't a lot back then, maybe 6d a week (If I was good).

4/6 was Birthday money, and there were so many other things to buy!

Thinking about it though, we were probably up to Thunderbirds times, before I started modelling.

Even more choice by then!

Hi Pete,

I might actually have been up to 1/- a week by then as a teenager -still a lot of dosh! Better let Ravnos have his thread back I guess!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Better let Ravnos have his thread back I guess!

Hey don't let me stop you, these forums are one of the few places left in my life where the average conversation doesn't make me feel old 🤣

• Haha 6

Oh my, Page 2! sorry chaps, update incoming.

Took a break from the green for a little while and painted the legs and engine inserts with some metal color, dark aluminium and gold for the hydraulic legs.

q7vEFwvEdWLOelsdhhses7YpzP6O7j596qbZELqQ

a little weathering on the legs, trying to emulate a little hydraulic oil on the joints and dirt/rust on the feet, before and after below.

KpqIcsjw3u753LVaIiaJSfMnt4JgS-cD78VdMsp3

IbZe0r_zfylv667gy1ZoFmpLzsjGWCQilIkc6T2I

That's all the progress for now, swapped out the needle in my airbrush for a smaller one to get a bit more control for the shading when I get back to it. A little practice run on some cardboard to test the flow over the 0.2 needle.

r87cgsVtNiJoE-tcY_lj3QicuyBqegD-luAzVb4F

I'll not horrify you with a picture of the 0.5 needle that's been in the airbrush for the last 8 months 🤣its in desperate need of a good clean so that'll be happening at some point.

• Like 6

Round two shading, it still went on a little heavy but I managed to tone it down with another light coat of the green afterwards.

a6dFllgFpY8782mKJiDQedcmyCHiCW96nbf_pdLn

I6aQ0zVrdrVyWuCyEtBJrLItW7Fv0NXIvVQsBqSW

after the light green to bring the shading down a bit.

9tziHrZDzpk8BjwV3yxJSavbbf5Jf4EIDaHc3tZi

It really doesn't come across in the pictures but I'm pretty pleased with the end result, looks much better in person.

S85MfyxwwewNn5-sQOyxCYNfGiv5rl5eHM5wDekl

Side note..... Has anyone else had this problem with Vallejo bottles? I thought it was over zealous mixing but this one's not been anywhere near the battery drill and its still spontaneously split

teqMTwjhvkTQ9kJLPXNmVvAnvZ0GyLpDStZwH8dH

• Like 6

On 4/2/2022 at 8:37 AM, Mike N said:

I love that shading, it really adds interest to the overall green!

Mike

On 4/3/2022 at 10:54 PM, David Womby said:

I love the colour and shading.  Really looks the part.

David

Thanks Guys :)

Next bit was a tricky bit of masking, really wasn't sure if this would work.

9OOX4MoX_PadwH1-GDfVnVfk1YiQiXTHwHE6HfzZ

I wanted to use the same colour as the engine cowling's which meant rattle can accuracy.

9OFbNjXgkM0iNjUMPjfM0ahQQTtf5D6h5Jk_pvbt

oZQe1DR1Zsd94TgpZTKXYjmWYvMoC6beg2Qzdn7r

I gave it a couple of hours but pulled the masking off before it was totally cured to try and avoid it peeling, looks like I got away with it.

34VFYtDR-9HaykhdVaG96KdBU9GZhjXr10Eo-dZH

lQPu1Fjk4eEMW8xv6BAdK6D3cd0zzD98FqLXWASG

I'll touch up the edges once its totally dry and paint the intakes at the back. hopefully final detailing and a clear coat in the next update.

• Like 10

On 01/04/2022 at 23:59, Ravnos said:

Side note..... Has anyone else had this problem with Vallejo bottles? I thought it was over zealous mixing but this one's not been anywhere near the battery drill and its still spontaneously split

teqMTwjhvkTQ9kJLPXNmVvAnvZ0GyLpDStZwH8dH

As a matter of fact... 

20220406150344-b3e2a97a-me.jpg

Could have been caused by not wiping the tip well enough and having dried paint buildup... 

9 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

As a matter of fact... 

20220406150344-b3e2a97a-me.jpg

Could have been caused by not wiping the tip well enough and having dried paint buildup... 

Hmm, maybe, it seems to have happened spontaniously with a few of my bottles, I thought age may have something to do with it then the green one cracked in two places shortly after it arrived.

14 minutes ago, Ravnos said:

Hmm, maybe, it seems to have happened spontaniously with a few of my bottles, I thought age may have something to do with it then the green one cracked in two places shortly after it arrived.

Yeah, strange.... The yellow I have is still almost full, I haven't had it for long. Must be inferior plastic on the caps then.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a bit more done over the last couple of weeks, nearing the finish line now.

A little hand painted detailing, trying not to go overboard with this.

36kJVobKQRJnkdlwr1Iwn9MANjIQrJsYGW4scfYj

Sprayed on a coat of Valejo gloss, this went on really nice but properly clogged my airbrush so the next evening was spent stripping and cleaning that 🤦‍♂️

uJ8RV2lHIU8NK34rgpbwo8DyFdJ0DQMzm4f5Apw_

It really is amazing how much difference adding decals to something makes, even something super simple like this.

11o2LukB5iJwiGNOBGczYIqVSyqa8f8C-iK9RpkT

The decals with the kit are really thick, which makes applying them a bit less fiddly but a little harder to get them to sit down in the details, the engines in particular are still a bit wrinkly but I've been putting a coat of microsol on them every time I go past and they are improving.... I may yet take them off and paint it instead but haven't decided yet.

dAM04N8TPwi9aAzq1tusIYeaQyyoedCKHGX0kxU2

Xq4UcEaTeLH8nfPMy1AhcOyzaemkWiURGDE_upX-

Despite the thick decals I still managed to tear one of them, there's two breaks in the yellow stripe, I'll let you be the judge of whether I got away with lining it up again.

uRGdx2zMWP9rjVFG5gL1zO8vkB5Ah2Y-I6eRZsfg

Looking at these close up I'm going to have to try and do something about dust settling in the paint for the next model, that and the dog's moulting at the moment so where ever he goes is tornado of fur.

That's it for now, after a little more time for the microsol to do its work I'm going to hit it with a matt clear coat then it'll be on the home stretch with some weathering.

g4spVAKf4QiBKlpd6tvNYlnArle80FPpJzmkkqiB

• Like 6

Looks to me like you got away with the decal. I have a big plastic box with a lid under my spray booth, I put stuff in there right after spraying it. Works fine, keeps (most of) the dust off.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Looks to me like you got away with the decal. I have a big plastic box with a lid under my spray booth, I put stuff in there right after spraying it. Works fine, keeps (most of) the dust off.

Thanks, and yeh I'm definately going to need to get something similar before the next paint job.

• Like 1

Final update time!

First up, engine installation.

EVDs_ClezVuf2v-E3F1vLrLn-0mGwABrI6R0Mlib

lstdpLPV1RJaVl13fam5T7kaowIqHqLHIYN2jo0r

Looking at those pictures now makes me realise I forgot to hit the engine section in the tail with a wash but its too late now 🤪 its much less obvious in person so I think I can live with it.

After that I sprayed the whole lot with a matt clear, unfortunately I managed to break the nozzle for my 0.5 needle in the process..... maybe its a good excuse to buy a better airbrush, (this is still a cheapo amazon special)

KVN6QSjtbpiQzG4TX2F7FJQx2CHm_R27fJ9YAqi1

Masking pulled off the windows, unfortunately I've ended up with a touch of frosting on the clear bit,I thought I'd get away with a spot of CA when I was installing it, serves me right for being impatient.

KAqVhVhTl_QLvn20AwTHL6EUrqOv23DkNgqRs02h

I couldn't get the camera to focus close enough to show you but you can actually see some of the detail in the cockpit which is nice.

Aaaaand, I'm calling that done, legs on and everything in its place, I had originally intended to do some more weathering at this stage however in the past ive found it really difficult to sell weathering at small scales like this and I'm happy with how it looks so I'm going to leave it alone.

QQSNGpzY20E5BmabiNBnpu3Snut_Pkr2y2pCs7KQ

I took it outside in the nice weather and played around with the good camera, I'll post all the pictures in the gallery but here's a taster.

nkwB7DbkGskga4jsIpNDpyjNYVai4rByMN7KEedf

Thanks for reading, and thank you for all the nice comments along the way, it was a really fun kit to build and I'd highly recommend it to anyone, it would be really good for new/younger modellers as well as it would still look pretty good unpainted.

• Like 11

• Ravnos changed the title to Thunderbird 2 1/350 Adventures in Plastic [Finished!]
4 hours ago, CliffB said:

It looks FAB :thumbsup:

(and I've just worked out that there isn't a massive crack in the first photo - phew!)

🤣 I had a minor heart attack as well, didnt see the shadow until I got the pictures on the computer.

• Like 1

What an excellent build of a fun and unique subject.

I sometimes think we get too serious on here but this really brings back the fun of our youth.

I really enjoyed following this build and love the finished model.

6 minutes ago, Colin W said:

What an excellent build of a fun and unique subject.

I sometimes think we get too serious on here but this really brings back the fun of our youth.

I really enjoyed following this build and love the finished model.

Thanks Colin, you're too kind :)

I'd like to think I never take myself too seriously but I know what you mean, it is nice to do something like this now and then, and the kit its self was really nice to build, so I would absolutely be up for doing more of the range at some point.

• Like 1