Merlin Spitfires - help with radio installation, please!

Tony Whittingham

Hello All Spitfire gurus,

I’m fitting out the radio bay on a large scale Spitfire, and cannot find much detail on the radio fit. I’m assuming a TR1134 with power unit, but I don’t know for sure what the mounting tray looks like. 
I’m also looking for details of the IFF installation. Anyone know where it is located in the Spitfire?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

TW

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The TR1134 replaced the earlier TR9D, but was retained for some time on UK-based aircraft with overseas ones retaining the TR9D.  You don't say which version of the Spitfire you are modelling.

Hello Graham,

I’m putting together a Spitfire Pr.IV, using the 1/24 Airfix Spitfire I/V as a base.

I have opened the radio hatch, so that the cameras can be seen, and also need details of the radio tray and sets, as my subject has the radio mast. Hope this helps.

TW

6 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I would expect a UK based PR Mk.IV to have the TR1134, but the Middle East ones to have the TR9D, based on tropicalised Spitfire Mk.Vs.

Have you looked in Spitfire The history?  (Not that I would guarantee it was in there.)

Hi Graham,

I have around a dozen and a half Spitfire references, including the one you recommended. Unfortunately none of them tell me the details of the radio installation clearly enough for me to be sure what’s going on.

I’m hoping someone has a copy of AP1565M that would clarify the details.

I’m especially interested in the ARI5000 IFF location and mount, and the power unit associated with the Radio.

TW

5 hours ago, dov said:

Look at my thread

British Radio Equipment WW2 here in the fofum.

You will find some of your request. 

All from Radi & Signsl Mzseum Henlow.

Happy modelling 

Thanks, dov! Got it!

TW