Brewster F2A-2 Buffalo - US Navy trainer

Hello everyone

Here is the third of three Mark I Models 1:144 Buffalo kits I have completed this past weekend.
It represents White 24 (BuNo 1431), US Naval Air Training Command, US Navy, NAS Miami, Florida, USA, summer 1942.

0404-01.jpg

By mid-1942, most Brewster F2A Buffaloes in US service had been withdrawn from frontline units and were being used for training. Many had their gunsights upgraded and a gun camera added, mounted on a structure on the starboard side. This particular machine had the camera added but still had the telescopic gunsight.

0404-05.jpg

0404-04.jpg

As with the other two Buffaloes, additions made to the kit included: the roll bar in the cockpit plus belts on the seat, the missing exhaust pipes, the wing pitot as well as the radio wires. This kit also had a life raft and headrest added in the cockpit plus the aforementioned gun camera and telescopic gunsight made from stretched sprue and scrap resin. I opened the leading edge gun holes. I also improved the hardly-noticeable cuffs of the propeller blades by adding a layer of Kristal Klear on them. The kit was fully painted and varnished by brush. A photo of this machine shows it was very weathered which wouldn't be surprising since I imagine these aircraft would be hard worked to train all the new fighter pilot recruits. Therefore, I went further weathering this one.

0404-08.jpg

0404-10.jpg

0404-13.jpg

0404-15.jpg

0404-16.jpg

0404-18.jpg

0404-19.jpg

0404-20.jpg

Although I am very pleased with all three kits, this one has become my favourite.

Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.
Miguel

• Like 16

On 12/03/2022 at 15:15, Roberto said:

Tiny and lovely, bravo.

On 12/03/2022 at 15:45, Andy Young said:

Nice build and some effective additions too. Checking against your Euro coin, I think I'm viewing this at about 4 x normal size on my screen - Buffaloes aren't very big!!

Great job!

Cheers, Andy

Andy, Indeed and I've just started something smaller than a Buffalo: a Heinkel He 176!!

On 12/03/2022 at 15:59, binbrook87 said:

Very nice indeed Miguel! I think this one is my favourite of the ones you've done so far...but they're all really nice 👍 So small.......🤓🤓

On 12/03/2022 at 19:49, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Miguel, this looks great, cracking work on this tiny model.

Chris

23 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

There's a herd of these things around right now. This is one of the best though. Such fine work on that camera in 1/144. Well done.

17 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Miguel,

That’s an excellent pairing with your previous Buffalo .  :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you very much everyone for your kind words and praise.

Miguel

• Like 2