Generic wooden deck

I know I have yet to finish my PUMA build but I'm starting to think ahead to the next one and given that twe're about to commemorate Falklands 40, I thought I might see what I could do with the 3D printer to come up with a 1/350 HMS HECLA which was my steamer for the campaign.

One of the key features of the H Class Survey ships was their wooden decks and so I'd like to have a go at using generic wood overlay.  I can find 2 products - the Artwox and Mk1 Design.  Does anyone have any experience of either?  I know a lot of maritime modellers use the pre-cut wooden deck kits to great effect but I wasn't able to find any reports of anyone using the generic material.

I was also wondering how thick it is.  The Mk 1 design material is advertised as 1 mm; I presume that means the width of the scribed planks not the thickness.  Can anyone advise on the thickness so that I can allow for that in the CAD?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, Chewbacca said:

I know I have yet to finish my PUMA build but I'm starting to think ahead to the next one and given that twe're about to commemorate Falklands 40, I thought I might see what I could do with the 3D printer to come up with a 1/350 HMS HECLA which was my steamer for the campaign.

One of the key features of the H Class Survey ships was their wooden decks and so I'd like to have a go at using generic wood overlay.  I can find 2 products - the Artwox and Mk1 Design.  Does anyone have any experience of either?  I know a lot of maritime modellers use the pre-cut wooden deck kits to great effect but I wasn't able to find any reports of anyone using the generic material.

I was also wondering how thick it is.  The Mk 1 design material is advertised as 1 mm; I presume that means the width of the scribed planks not the thickness.  Can anyone advise on the thickness so that I can allow for that in the CAD?

Thanks

Hello,

I have used the generic wood deck (my first use ever of a wood deck) from Artwox which went on pretty well. But you should make sure that the deck is glued on without tension to avoid bulges and bubbles later.

You can take a look at my recent post "work in progress".

I would suggest printing the superstructures only 5mm flat to use them as a template to cut out the  wood deck.

Regards

Andreas

spacer.png    spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Or maybe I won't.  Hadn't spotted that all of the suppliers I had looked at for the Artwox deck were in China and quoting delivery times measured in months not weeks.  I can get the Mk1 from Hannants but they seem expensive..  I may have to go down that route though.

The deck is very thin and therefore a little transparent. It is therefore necessary to paint a white surface gray or brown. Superstructures should at least not be glued 100% to the deck.

Regards

Andreas

As far as I can judge from the photos it is a relatively small model, Send me the measurements for the deck. I'll see if I have enough left - and might post it

22 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Generic deck.

I guess that it is supplied as  rectangular or square sheet that needs to be cut to shape?

Is it obtainable in the UK.?

All generic decks are in rectangular shape and need to be cut. I recommend leaving a few mm so that you can sand them down exactly on the edge.