Takom 1/144, MD-160 Lun-class Ekranoplan, The love child of Dumbo and Flipper!

Not sure if I should class this as a plane or a boat, however built for a current GB (Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack) which runs till May if anyone wants to join in, highly recommended btw.

Great kit from Takom, goes together really quickly without any fuss and surprisingly large. (The real thing is about the same length as a 747). Plenty of scope if anyone wants to add extra detail but this is OOB.

Painted with Mig ammo, acrylics, gloss coat Halfords rattle can, final matt coat AK 3rd gen, weathering with abteilung oils.

(Full build details in the GB or feel free to ask ;))

Apologies for the photos,  it's way to big for me to photograph in my usual fashion.

So essentially we have a subject with an identity crisis built by an armour modeller enjoying the diversification! :winkgrin:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, particularly if you've made the effort to get through to the end!

Darryl 

• Like 43

Fantastic build and paint skills there. It looks great. 

50 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Not sure if I should class this as a plane or a boat

I would class it as "only a mother could love". IIRC it is technically a flying boat/sea plane. 

• Thanks 1

• Jasper dog changed the title to Takom 1/144, MD-160 Lun-class Ekranoplan, The love child of Dumbo and Flipper!
1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The way you've painted it, the ekranoplan looks like some weird half machine half creature of the deep. It's absolutely brilliant. (as I may have said elsewhere.)

You're far to generous, however I'm more than happy to appreciate your kind sentiment once more! 

(Started looking for 1/144 scale LNER decals...:winkgrin:)

Cheers

37 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Fantastic build and paint skills there. It looks great. 

I would class it as "only a mother could love". IIRC it is technically a flying boat/sea plane. 

Thanks and you arn't wrong with that suggestion,  however do remember Ekranoplans have feelings too!

(You have reminded me of an earlier comment in the GB that's prompted the modification to the title too! :like:)

Cheers 

13 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful MD-160 Lun!

I do not know how it is called in english but in german it is a Bodeneffekt Fahrzeug which means ground effect vehicle.

Saluti

Giampiero

Thank you Giampiero, I believe you are quite correct it "flys" on a cushion of air approximately 20ft above the surface. Must have been quite the ride, 380tons, at 340mph 20ft above the waves!

Cheers 

Thanks again chaps

Darryl 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maginot said:

Nicely done. What a strange and wondrous machine. Not one for a fuel crisis, you'd think?

IIRC, one of the sales points of the Ekranoplan was that it uses far less fuel (due to cruising near the surface) than an aircraft of the same size.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 21:52, Abandoned Project said:

Well I love your Ekranoplan and I'm loving the title change. :elephant:

Thanks AP, really appreciated!

On 11/03/2022 at 22:20, chrisbob12 said:

Awesome! Love it.

Very kind, interesting diversion from the norm!

On 11/03/2022 at 22:48, Electric Indigo said:

That is one impressive display piece! Great job on the weathering.

Thanks, it is a fair size, I suspect it's going to sit around gathering dust unfortunately until I can find a new cabinet. It needed something to break up the monotony of pale grey.

On 12/03/2022 at 00:01, Maginot said:

Nicely done. What a strange and wondrous machine. Not one for a fuel crisis, you'd think?

Cheers, strange is definitely a term that's been used to describe it!

I somehow doubt fuel economy would have been at the top of the list of priorities, from an engineering perspective though it's quite impressive,  imo at least!

19 hours ago, Jeddahbill said:

Very well done and superb finish!

Bill

Thanks Bill, glad you like it, appreciated. 

14 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Outstanding Daryl.  Excellent attention to detail :like:

Mike

Cheers, very kind of you!

Thanks fellas, really appreciate all your comments and likes.

Darryl 

• Like 1

On 13/03/2022 at 18:38, Billy400 said:

Looks awesome. I have an Anigrand 1/144 Lun to build in the future. Looking forward to that.

On 14/03/2022 at 17:42, exdraken said:

Great result!

What an unconventional design..... wow!

On 14/03/2022 at 17:47, VolkerR. said:

Awesome. I love it.

On 15/03/2022 at 06:43, Hewy said:

Yes very nice , that has turned out really well , great job on the painting darryl

On 14/03/2022 at 16:32, Mikey-1980 said:

An absolute outstanding build of one of the most unusal aircraft ever designed.

Very well done and didnt know a kit of the Ekranoplan existed?

Thanks fellas, always appreciated.

It's a really nice kit, can't comment on its accuracy but it goes together quickly and easily and looks the part. 

Good luck @Billy400 with the Anigrand kit, I presume that's a limited run kit?

I had been tempted with the Revell kit (or zvezda rebox) of its smaller sibling but I think my venture into ground effect vehicles is done for now.

(Don't know if anyone does the really big one, nicknamed The Caspian Sea Monster, but that would be huge).

Thanks again.

Darryl 

one of the sales points of the Ekranoplan was that it uses far less fuel (due to cruising near the surface) than an aircraft of the same size.

Blimey! Sounds like a sales pitch to me. Hardly any hovercraft services remain (is Southsea to Ryde the last scheduled service in the world?) mainly due to the high cost of running these craft. I suspect that Ekranoplan would be little more efficient.

Yes, a Caspian Sea Monster model would be something special.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 8:49 PM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful MD-160 Lun!

I do not know how it is called in english but in german it is a Bodeneffekt Fahrzeug which means ground effect vehicle.

WIGE in English---Wing In Ground Effect.

I love a WIGE, and that's a lovely WIGE!

• Thanks 1