DHC-6 Twin Otter, 1/72, Revell

Lovely finished model. One thing you can say for the old Matchbox kits is that they usually got the outline and shapes right even if everything else was a bit on the simplified side.

I grew up with the Canadian military Twin Otters flying overhead and I got up close to them many times. Your model definitely captures the look and spirit of the aircraft.

Edited by upnorth
  • Thanks 1

Oh my, what a fabulous result from this kit - it is one of the best Twin Otter builds I have seen. Having built a few myself, I would love to get mine near this quality.

Cheers,

Ray

• Thanks 1

Outstanding work on that old kit and beautifully finished. I would be hard pressed to recognise it as the old Matchbox kit moulds.

I flew in a civilian one across half of Colombia, from Capurganá to Bogotá. It was rather noisy inside!

Miguel

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

Excellent Twin! Surely not an easy build (the windscreen position seems strange, maybe because of the camera distorsion??) but the finish is impeccable. Great! 

What do you think? The nose contour seems to be  a bit off to me, which affects how the windscreen looks?

Mike

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/939_DHC-6_Twin_Otter_Fuerza_Aerea_De_Chile_(7334710072).jpg

• Like 1

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your comments. It is really nice to read that some of you have experiences with the real subject. Unfortunatelly I had no opportunity to see real Twin Otter so far. 

Regarding colours - It is Tamiya acrylics mix of Yellow XF-3, X8 with a drop of red and hull red to get appropriate tint which is very simmilar to RAF yellow

Regarding the windshield - I don´t see any shape issue, but in fact, the windshield fitting was not ideal.

Edited by David Koktavý
text correction

On 12/03/2022 at 21:53, 72modeler said:

What do you think? The nose contour seems to be  a bit off to me, which affects how the windscreen looks?

Mike

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/939_DHC-6_Twin_Otter_Fuerza_Aerea_De_Chile_(7334710072).jpg

By looking to the photo at reference it seems to me that the size of the windscreen is a little bit too small (it should be large at the bottom) but this is the way the kit is or maybe a photographic effect. Absolutely no critics on the model made which is top of the range!

• Thanks 1

Really amazing job. I'm currently half way through this exact build and if I can get even a fraction of a way towards your result here I'll be a happy camper.

I particularly like the subtle weathering.. I was planning to do mine without but this has inspired me to give it a try.

10/10!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

By looking to the photo at reference it seems to me that the size of the windscreen is a little bit too small (it should be large at the bottom) but this is the way the kit is or maybe a photographic effect. Absolutely no critics on the model made which is top of the range!

Now I understand your point. As I noted, the fitting of the screen was not good. I used the filler and therefore had to a bit extend edges especially the lower one. Bellow some photos from the building proces (sorry for the quality as the provider propably resampled them)

spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Like 2