PK 403 Adrian's Heinkel 111 ## FINISHED ##

I was fiddling in the loft and found this in my stash. It surprises me as it wasn't on my inventory. As nobody has picked the Heinkel 111 up yet, I guess I better build it. I hope to get my Tiger Moth and Ju 188 done before the end of the month so I can then knock this one out. Now the question arises 'which aircraft to depict'? There weren't any decals in the box which is a shame as I was hoping to do the Romanian one. Has anyone got these decals?

IMG_6609[11879]

IMG_6608[11878]

It looks complete

IMG_6610[11880]

• Like 13

Hang about, this He111 hasn't been mentioned as yet so we now have all the Red Range aircraft finally nominated for! 

Well done Adrian, thanks for bringing this one to the table. We've got a Matchbox Spares thread up and running so put a post in that and hopefully someone will be able to source some Romanian decals for you. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! And with that coloured plastic you won't even have to paint it!*

Regards,

Jason

*To be honest, I miss Matchbox. I used to love buying and occasionally even building their kits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Troy Smith said:

I have a spare frog Bristol Blenheim sheet with Romanian decals,  4 large crosses are 16mm, 2 small at 11mm.  Better than the above.

Frog-Bristol-Blenheim-Mk1-Decals-from-ki

Internet image, not actual sheet.  I may even have another as I got a whole load of sheets if they are a useable size, as the numbers and fuselage stripes look to be OK . 

a search turns up this image as well

Heinkel-He-111H3-RRAF-5th-Bomber-Group-W

from https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/He-111/RRAF.html

note the very high contrast of the splinter pattern, this profile suggest that it's the 61/62/63 pre war colour, and the photo bear this out,  (though the scheme is brown/green grey,  not light brown, unless there was a specfic export scheme) 

Heinkel-He-111H3-RRAF-5th-Bomber-Group-W

which really would be eyecatching. I have no idea what colur the diagonal bars are, but a yellow digit on a yellow band makes no sense

The best Romanian decals in AM are/were the RB decals,   don't know they did a He-111

there is this Begemot sheet

s-l1600.jpg

HTH

• Like 1

The He.111H-2s (or perhaps H-3s?) sold to Romania were in the colours 61/62/63, although colour photos suggest more like 70/71/02, but the actual pattern had fewer segments than the standard prewar pattern seen on stepped-nose Heinkels.  It would be good to find a good view of this scheme in plan on the Heinkel, as suggested artworks differ considerably.  This scheme, although rare and not mentioned in textbooks, can be seen on photos of a Luftwaffe He.111P and appeared on other export aircraft such as Portuguese Ju.52.  Whether the 63 colour was greenish grey, yellowish grey or light grey seems to depend on the freshness of the paint, but it wasn't very greenish and bore a close resemblance to 02 (which was only an internal colour before the change in paint standards that came with the 70/71 scheme.

However the Matchbox kit is a later H-6 variant and these were delivered in the standard 70/71 to the wartime standard pattern, with even fewer segments (measured in changes of colour along the fuselage).  Converting the kit back will mean thinning the props and making a solid fairing for the nose of the gondola.  There are no side guns on the fuselage windows, and the exhausts are not the multiple stack kind.

12 hours ago, Learstang said:

Wow! And with that coloured plastic you won't even have to paint it!*

Regards,

Jason

*To be honest, I miss Matchbox. I used to love buying and occasionally even building their kits.

You never know, if I can’t get suitable decals I might nick some from another kit after painting it gloss black with red spinners 😉

Thank you for that information Graham 😊

• Like 1

Here's one I did earlier. A Casa 111 (?) with Merlin engines, done up as the Spanish Air Force target tug painted up as a WW II aircraft for the film "Battle of Britain". Will have a jolly good look at it tomorrow and see what I did with the Matchbox kit.

IMG_6637[11910]

• Like 8

Hmmm, I think I have found my muse. Rather than different decals I will have a go at changing the engines - obviously I have done this before. Am now on the look out for some nacelles with the squarish front edge and those engine faceplates. Shouldn't be too difficult. In my model club in Canada I was known as "Mr, it won't take five minutes"

I found this image from elsewhere on this website and have now ordered the book to get a better view of the picture

IMG_6732[11932]

• Like 6

The Heinz Nowarra book arrived today - UK postage cost more than the book ! From it I have learnt the Werk nummer is 2122 and registration is D-APZD - the codes will help brighten up the side of the fuselage. A good chap in my Hailsham club says he can provide me with some JU 88 engines which should look about right. This is going to be a 'quick and dirty' build with the emphasis on the engine conversion. Looks like there is a square intake underneath the engine nacelle and an enormous exhaust sticking out the side. I will represent these features but as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm not a rivet counter and prefer to knock something up and have a bit of fun 🙂

IMG_6755[11945]

• Like 7

Aah, the Daimler Benz 601U engine used for this aircraft was not a radial but in inline engine. Shows how much I know about German aircraft engines. It was just the faceplate cooling system that made it look like a radial!

• 2 weeks later...

Just put the fuselage together. Glad the surface is so primitive as makes it easier to putty and finish without losing detail - as there isn't any 🙂

IMG_6829[12035]

I have been obsessing about the engines as that is why I am making this. The Italeri Ju188 nacelles look about right, but a bit small and tapered unlike the image of the real aircraft. I have another friend in my other model club who will provide engines from the Airfix Ju88 which I believe are larger. My problem is that the nacelles for the Daimler Benz 601U engine looks a lot bigger than either, especially when offering them up to the wings and looking at them relative to the nose. This is primitive seat of the pants modelling but I think the proportions are really quite important. Below are the Italeri nacelles

IMG_6830[12034]

• Like 6

'Leg of toad, eye of newt' or something like that. It seems the right size of engine cowling can come from opened up Matchbox B17 engines. To fill the space I have cowling extensions from a pair of Matchbox Wellesley kits. The radiator fronts from my friend's Italeri Junkers 188. Squared off the ventral air intake with file and knife. I reckon these look about right. All I need is to fill the space to wings with a bit of Milliput - have done similar things before - please check out my 1/96 Avro Manchester build, or indeed my Merlin engined He/Casa 111

Having FUN

IMG_6843[12048]

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Haven’t forgotten about this. Have done a bit of work on engine nacelles. When I have something interesting to show will put it up. Deadline slipping for completing this by end of April! 😊

• 1 month later...

Refined the Milliput by engines and made a couple of ventral air intakes out of the ubiquitous Plasticard. They look a bit 'seperate', but 'Oh well'. I like RLM 78 over RLM 65 as it is lighter and I think looks better in this scale. Gunze paint

IMG_7449[12511]

RLM dark green tomorrow morning and maybe black green in evening

• Like 5