PK-46 BAe Hawk 200 ---- Finished

This is one of 2 quick builds to help contribute to the GB completing as many Matchbox subjects as possible.

I'm between foreign trips so there will be no procrastinating, this will be done OOB as Matchbox and the gods intended. To be honest it is highly unlikely that I ever would have built this outside of a GB.

The kit itself is still typical Matchbox, 1987 tooling,  moulded in two greys, a random selection of deep panel lines, heavy plastic, two piece canopy. No cockpit tub or detail, not even a decal. A decent looking seat though.

Two paint options for airshow sales displays, one all black, the other two shades of grey. Undecided at the moment whether to go with these, depends on decal behavior. Have a what-if image in mind if the decals fail.

y4m2_UguXmUjgCx8B7R5cTRAAY7DXmzut8j3PB7M

y4mfjHVN7b7Wd5eXQ0MFvFpXD4w71OooiCt-gpMl

• Like 5

I got stuck into this pretty quickly, there are few parts so it wasn't an too much of an issue. Tail wings have to be angled downwards without any real guide, fittings for main wings to body is very tentative, Inlets connection to wings requires filling and sanding as do the wing joints and lower fuselage.

All done and an initial light primer thrown on to identify fill points followed by some sloppy thin black with a brush  to see if their fixed.

Expect to be done and dusted with this before the weekend is out.

y4mxr6tIISMjOcsX_ZZ7RodtbDDHZ1-BowacbyK3

• Like 9

• Derek D. changed the title to PK-46 BAe Hawk 200

Blimey, talk about quick! I've always like the single seater Hawk, shame it didn't really catch on as well as the two seater version. Another bold move by Matchbox to kit this thing so all the best getting this one done. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

again, not the weekend build I expected. A strange subject for Matchbox, especially in hindsight when you look at the lack of commercial success of the real thing.  It is a boring subject and the kit itself isn't much more exiting. Would never have built it outside the GB and don't even know why I bought it, probably a cheap pick up in the late 80s.

I would love to know who printed the Decals for Matchbox, out of 5 kits built for this GB, 3 behaved very well, 1 was OK and 1 failed. This despite being stored in my attic for at least 25 years, more likely closer to 30. Finished with a Satin Coat after Decals set.

Due to self imposed time pressure (travelling to other side of the world tomorrow, supervised antigen test permitting) I omitted the drop tanks.

y4mZDYeLmT_tOQcChV25dg3evQTxqFl-fwyCQb_y

y4mWtmj9INvjAIo582pLI1DyFKjbTdKR9xKpXHNe

y4mutj4Prj3_wmrt9PcO4jJ-h3K5SLZIKCz9u49j

y4mcDB8PiUlfB5RVFWaUnHjpW8arbxe3wUCoh5fB

y4mW-2z1FA85Exsd_OZvgK_aSHMjungrhulSMCFX

Undignified pose!!!

y4mE6HPk9P0bBZTjsaqUFf6A0zS66k2R_nY2EJ0-

• Like 9

• Derek D. changed the title to PK-46 BAe Hawk 200 ---- Finished

A real raraty Derek,not the prettiest of aircraft considering the beautiful twin seater original,superb job all the same!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Derek

Great to see this one finished and looking resplendent in "groovy grey" !

Safe journey on your travels.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Funnily enough, there is something about this pudgy nosed Hawk that I’m quite fond about, although have managed not to acquire one as yet for some strange reason. I am equally surprised about its lack of follow on sales so the real example was either too expensive or not quite up there with some other aircraft it was put up against. You’ve done a great job getting this one finished prior to your workbench absence and hopefully you can add those huge underwing tanks when you get the chance upon your return. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1