Brewster Buffalo, FAA 805 Sqn, Crete 1941 - AMT/Matchbox 1/72

I built this ancient little Buffalo as part of the Matchbox 50th Anniversary Groupbuild here. This is AMT’s 1979 re-release of Matchbox’s 1974 kit of a 1/72 Scale Brewster Buffalo. With careful work and a bit of added detail, this four-decade-plus-old model builds into a respectable little Buff.

51931106963_2b27abf96a_k.jpgIMG_5364 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

The Buffalo was the brainchild of the former luxury car and coach builder Brewster, and built in downtown Long Island, NY. Endeavoring to make the most streamlined fighter, it had as near-perfect a teardrop shape as then possible and was the first aircraft tested, at full-scale, in a wind tunnel.

Much maligned by postwar analysts, the early models of the Buffalo were actually quite a good fighter in the right environment. It wasn’t until the third iteration of the design, specified by the US Navy, did it’s poor reputation start. Loads of additional armor, equipment, redundancy and a poor engine spoiled the speed and good maneuverability of the formerly nimble aircraft. Export-model Buffaloes flown by the Finnish Air Force achieved a staggering kill ratio: on average they downed more than 40 Soviet planes to the loss of a single Buffalo.

This aircraft represents Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Serial AX814. Originally ordered by the Belgian Air Arm, she was taken over by the British and sent to 805 Squadron in Egypt in 1940. The Buffaloes were welcome as the early Fairy Fulmars they supplemented could be outrun by German Bombers.

AX814 was one of three Buffaloes sent to the Greek island of Crete to defend against the impending German invasion. Unfortunately, she never saw combat; while awaiting spare parts, she was strafed by the Luftwaffe and written off.

The model was improved with a scratch-built cockpit, several scratch-built details including a wired and plumbed engine and all the markings were put together from a plethora of leftovers from the spares bin.

51931354969_65d54bc4f0_k.jpgIMG_5368 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51931640705_bc694588df_k.jpgIMG_5366 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51931640565_9f013ada44_k.jpgIMG_5370 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

51931107223_85d796b1a8_k.jpgIMG_5365 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

• Like 11

A lovely little Buffalo, and thanks for the backstory! One tends to only remember the defence of Malaya and Singapore so it's nice to see the type's role in Crete represented. Crikey, the Fulmar must have been even slower than I thought for the Buffalo to represent a welcome improvement!

Thanks @Vulcanicity had I not just read about it while researching for this build I would nhave never thought the same about the Fulmar when compared to the Buffalo. The Buffalo was about 30km/h faster than the Fulmar and had a better rate of climb. The Fulmar was clearly a good plane in terms of utility and was adequate against early Italian aircraft in the Med, but when the Germans started showing up, there were problems. I read one report of Ju.88s simply “pulling away” from the Fulmars sent to intercept them.

20 hours ago, RainierHooker said:

this four-decade-plus-old model builds into a respectable little Buff.

Surely does looking at that, you've turned out a super example of this oldie, really made it into a goodie. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1