MFH Porsche 917/20 Pink Pig 1/12 aka "Biting off more than I can chew?"

Hello everyone,

New to the site as a posting member... been building models for about the last 8 years... originally planes but moved on to cars... long story short, decided i'd stretch myself and bought the MFH Pink Pig.  Through Hiroboy.

Problem number 1, the front cowl arrived broken.  Replaced free of charge very quickly so that was great.  Brilliant customer service.

During lockdown the box remained untouched... i looked at it... it stared back... i looked at the instructions and hid in fear.

I've decided to give this a go knowing that it is going to be a real challenge.  

I'll start posting my first steps.

I've been looking for some build threads but haven't found much.  Has anyone on the forum built one?

Wish me luck?

• Like 9

Hello, welcome and good luck!  I have the 1/24 version, so will be interested in seeing how yours comes together.  I don't know of threads for this, but there are several interesting threads of highly detailed builds of various other race cars. You might need to do some searching - including many in 1/20 scale which might be generally helpful to review.

Looking forward to seeing your progress 

Cheers

Nick 

Welcome to the forums and good luck. Nice choice, just go for it! You'll find that members here are generally very helpful in case you run into trouble. Nothing wrong with a nice challenge 🙂 

Try treating it as separate projects. Engine, Gearbox, Chassis, Interior and then the body. You can display each build as you go along. Take your time, only do the next bit when you feel like it.

• Like 1

Great to have you here and of course we wish you luck with building this model. Take us with you on your journey and ask for help and advice where needed.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words of welcome.  'Slowly does it' on this build, I think, is great advice.

Here is a comparison photo so you can see the size of the thing... it is genuinely massively wide...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuYiXMkuTeqUgRIkzDDUVf7w2_O6

This is my first time trying to upload images...please let me know if you can see it... i can't

Edited by DoctorB
photo link not working
  • Like 1

If the Martini Porsche is by your hand as well I think you'll be just fine with the pink pig. I think some people might enjoy the Martini in RFI... 

• Like 2

Thanks Jeroen... the Martini 935 was my first 1/12 scale Tamiya... is it 'the done thing' to post past builds on RFI?  if so, i can pop a few on... variable quality as i started to get in to cars

• Like 1

Question for the forum... started with a basic clean-up of the body... wash with dishwashing detergent then old toothbrush/toothpaste... noticed a very distinct darkening to the resin near what i believe was one of the pour/injection points.  seems to repel water and feels same as the lighter parts.  assume it's not a 'red flag' for painting.

y4mp5oGklyXdbaEpde6SOj-oIgqxn6whQ1gQ-JpB

• Like 3

Today's step... checking the fit of the doors to the body... see photo... one of the doors somewhat fits, the other has a massive gap.  

y4mpqc89Ol6o1Ji2UDPkK2YXRy_5cQpwa-s1yxTd

y4mz2l_rBgSbDrlSeR4gW15DRR9gFGvyKxA7zCiJ

In the instructions, they do say that some parts might need straightening out... but the lower parts of the doors are quite thick.  I'm concerned that if i try to bend them by hand, i'll break them. or if i use a hammer, it'll irreparably deform them.

On the other hand, the only build thread that i've seen for a completed Pink Pig had the doors open... fit problem miraculously disappears.  But that's a bit of a cop-out.

Any past experience?  Ideally with the Pink Pig?

• Like 2

On 11/03/2022 at 22:06, DoctorB said:

Thanks Jeroen... the Martini 935 was my first 1/12 scale Tamiya... is it 'the done thing' to post past builds on RFI?  if so, i can pop a few on... variable quality as i started to get in to cars

Sure. I don't think new members post all of their past builds but a Martini Porsche... most definitely 🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Any past experience?  

Nope, not me! "Need straigthening out" is a bit of an understatement in this case it would seem. I agree with you that doors open is the easy way out, the lines are way nicer with doors closed. How tough is that metal?

Several metal parts in MFH kits get distorted, partly due to the way they are tightly packed in cling film for transport I suspect. However in all the MFH kits I have built I have had no problems straightening out distorted parts with gentle hand pressure. MFH use a very high quality metal and I have never had any breakages.

I have built the Gulf version of this car and my doors were as distorted as yours are but gentle persuasion eventually got them in to shape as you can see in the attached photos. I have never had an MFH kit where the parts do not fit accurately, it takes a lot of care, precision and forward planning but a superb result will eventually be achieved and you will be hooked on MFH. I always say MFH is my recreational drug of choice.

I hope this gives you some encouragement.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Thanks for the advice, Tankerman... I took the plunge this morning and started bending the left hand door by hand.  Initial results look like an improvement.  Stopping for the moment while I'm ahead and will tackle the final fit when I have the time and won't be rushed.

y4m7z6djf5QyD99t52fb4OhLo2kTI8FfjAYpa0nn

Paint has been the other piece of work this week... I had previously ordered the 991 RSR Pink Pig colour, so I ordered some 917/20 from Zero... remarkably different colours in the bottle (well shaken).  The 917/20 is very light.  Will do some test sprays on the proverbial plastic spoons.

y4mCKLiBJBDVVuQrnr-yEwZQDeGfNpDIzDKTf6ip

y4mF5Q07HtBYqFMUd0lHITbdh12gCM4p8ECZgLQw

• Like 3

The door looks much improved. The two colours are nothing like eachother. The one on the right looks a little heavy on the colour. Curious to see your tests. Maybe you could make a nice mix. 

Paints are different part numbers, ie, they’re supposed to be different. But I was surprised by the amount of difference and the fact that Porsche 917/20 colour is so light. Perhaps it will dry down darker. 

59 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Paints are different part numbers, ie, they’re supposed to be different. But I was surprised by the amount of difference and the fact that Porsche 917/20 colour is so light. Perhaps it will dry down darker. 

Ah, I misunderstood. 

Straightforward progress over the last few days... stripping back and painting the engine block and the cylinders.

Stripping back because I had used a 'value' primer (identity concealed to protect the innocent) which produced a weird surface effect which then caused problems with the paint.  I used Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and it seemed to do the job.

For the base coat, I used Tamiya grey primer.  Went down like a dream as always so this (Tamiya) will go back to being my standard.

Tamiya semi-gloss can for the engine block.  (This is just 1 coat so not complete yet.  The gearbox end also needs painting another colour over the black.)

Tamiya X10 +XF1 for the cylinders and ?cylinder head?  The white metal paints up very nicely, really bringing out the detail.  I've not painted right to the end of the cylinders as these plug into the block and won't be visible.

y4m1heF9rfnLYCta7vBdSeZw5M6ZlzjarIIXNgnI

• Like 4