The tale of two Empires. 1/72 Short S.23 and S.21

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Finger trouble by me - this can be ignored/deleted but see next post.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

If by G class you mean the Short Shetland the Yes. A 1/144 scale resin kit by S & M models. I have one in the stash 😊

Actually I did mean the G Class - the Shetland was a later product designed from scratch as a military plane whilst the Sunderland was essentially a militarised version of the C class, although several C class boats were  also taken into service. In the Flying Boats volume of his " War Planes" series of books, Green says that the  Short S.26 aka G Class was an enlarged C Class intended non-stop mail services across the Atlantic but with potential military use in mind as well - 3 were built for Imperial Airways/BOAC in around 1939/40 named Golden Hind, Golden Fleece and Golden Horn, and all were taken into military service and fitted with 3 four gun B-P turrets, one at the tail and 2 on top of the fuselage. They could also carry up to 2000lb (other sources say 4000lb) of bombs. Whilst the civil  Short S23 aka C class was powered by 4 x Pegasus Xc radials of 920HP, the G had 4 x Hercules IV of 1380HP and had a span of 134ft  4in and a length of 103ft 2in compared with 114ft and 88ft respectively in the C.  Green says that prior to being militarised  the C had an empty weight of 24820 lb, rising to a normal loaded weight of 40,500 lb and a normal range of 810 miles, the equivalent figures for the G being 37700 lb, 74500 lb and 3200 miles. Golden Fleece was lost off Finisterre in August 1941 when two engines failed simultaneously and the other two were refurbished and returned to civilian use, Golden Horn being lost due to an engine fire in January 1943. In terms of size the G falls between the smaller Emily and the larger Wiking., and for some strange reason I have always fancied building one. Unfortunately, like my other flying boat models I would be hard pressed to find any where to store it though - they are currently on the floor in the attic which is a recipe for them getting accidentally walked on.

Just found this-

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205127083

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2