Spitfire PR.X conversion for Eduard kit

FloydWerner

Does anyone make this 1/48th conversion set?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I've always wanted to build the captured one but can't ever seem to find the lower cowling and the rest of the parts.  Has anyone done it in CAD?

2 hours ago, FloydWerner said:

Does anyone make this 1/48th conversion set?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I've always wanted to build the captured one but can't ever seem to find the lower cowling and the rest of the parts.  Has anyone done it in CAD?

the captured one is a PR.XI [11] not a PR.X [10], the PR.X was a rare version, basically a pressurised fighter fuselage with a PR wing. IIRC they made 16. 

Discussion on how to make a PR XI turns up on here fairly regularly. 

eg 

I linked a load of colour pics as well

The problem about using an Eduard kit as a base kit is the fine rivet detail, in that you will have to do remove all the armament bays in the wing, some other changes, add camera ports and the PR windscreen, plus the deeper cowl. 

Maybe not too bad, as the kits is covered in holes, and Spitfire wings were very smooth, flush riveted,  the leading 'D' edges were thicker gauge metal, (one definite glitch in the Eduard Merlin 60 kits)  and the rivets were filled and sanded, and are pretty much invisible 1/1,   the rear of the wing the flush rivets show a slight skin dishing. 

Maybe the 'easiest' option is to add a Merlin 60 cowl and prop, plus deeper chin,  and Merlin  radiators to an Airfix  PR XIX, you would also need to cut back the fin, and adjust the insides for pressurisation details, but that is the only dedicated PR kit, so the rest is done. 

Quickboots did some parts for the Hasegawa kit, 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48146?result-token=1jA7D

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48192?result-token=1jA7D

You probably want a Mk.VIII kit, as this has the retractable tailwheel most PR .XI's had. 

HTH

I think the PR.X had the cabin pressurisation intake on the starboard side of the  fuselage below the exhaust manifold and thicker canopy hood runners for the Lobelle canopy but otherwise was pretty much identical to the PR.XI with very similar performance. As Troy mentioned only 16 were built and used by 541 and 542 squadrons for high altitude reconnaissance from May 1944.*

Regards

Colin.

* 'The Spitfire Story' by Alfred Price.

Like Troy says I wonder if manufacturers kept a way from a conversion set for the Eduard kit because of the rivet issue. I would take a couple anyway if they did a set, it's just a shame that Eduard teased us with saying they might do a Mk.XI one day when they released the Mk.IX but of course that never happened. I'm still hoping they will do a PR.IV as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

I think the PR.X had the cabin pressurisation intake on the starboard side of the  fuselage below the exhaust manifold and thicker canopy hood runners for the Lobelle canopy but otherwise was pretty much identical to the PR.XI with very similar performance. As Troy mentioned only 16 were built and used by 541 and 542 squadrons for high altitude reconnaissance from May 1944.*

Regards

Colin.

* 'The Spitfire Story' by Alfred Price.

It also had a whip aerial instead of the post type of the Xl

Hi Floyd,

My own effort for a PR XI was to use the Airfix PR XIX kit for the basis of a conversion.  This gives you all the needed PR stuff right off.  I cut the nose off the Airfix kit and added a Merlin nose from an Aeroclub Mk XVI.  The deep Mk XIX radiators were replaced with more shallow units.  Take note that the Airfix clear parts and indeed, vacform replacements, are a tad off being correct, let alone measuring the same.  It's now some of my best work.  Need more?  Shoot me a note at jckikerATcarolinDOTrrDOT com for more intel.

Cheers, Jim

BR48028 F.24 camera Barracuda

Mentioned above (Hannants links)

QB48146 PR.XI Camera blisters Quickboost

QB48192 PR.XI Cowling Quickboost

The lower cowling is supposedly for the Hasegawa kit, but should work.

• Thanks 1

I’ve sourced an Eduard HF VIII and the two Quickboost items.  I may need to find a PR canopy but I think Falcon did a set.  I also got the book on the PR variants.  I may be good to go once I find the Falcon canopy 

Floyd

12 hours ago, Jim Kiker said:

Hi Floyd,

My own effort for a PR XI was to use the Airfix PR XIX kit for the basis of a conversion.  This gives you all the needed PR stuff right off.  I cut the nose off the Airfix kit and added a Merlin nose from an Aeroclub Mk XVI.  The deep Mk XIX radiators were replaced with more shallow units.  Take note that the Airfix clear parts and indeed, vacform replacements, are a tad off being correct, let alone measuring the same.  It's now some of my best work.  Need more?  Shoot me a note at jckikerATcarolinDOTrrDOT com for more intel.

Cheers, Jim

Email sent.  Thanks

Floyd

• 2 weeks later...