Retractable landing gear on Doyusha 1/100 kits

gigi

I have been looking online for some info about these kits (I have a couple on the way) and wanted to know if it is at all possible to build them with retractable landing gear. Couldn't find anything but expect someone must have tried. Anyone with some insight here?

5 hours ago, gigi said:

I have been looking online for some info about these kits (I have a couple on the way) and wanted to know if it is at all possible to build them with retractable landing gear. Couldn't find anything but expect someone must have tried. Anyone with some insight here?

Oh these Doyusha/Otaki/Nitto/Entex are an absolute pleasure !

Their landing gear design is actually quite accurate in the sense that the pivoting trunnion is present in every case and if glued in place, it just looks right (while other brands/scales will just ask you to glue a landing gear strut into a hole which is fine when it comes to rigidity but not very accurate).

On these 1/100 kits, if you omit to glue the drag brace, which is unfortunately moulded in 1 part, the landing gear could swivel a bit but you would be limited by the fact that it is moulded in the compressed state and would not stow properly in the landing gear bay.

I tried on the 747-100 kit, with its beautifully detailed and prototypically accurate landing gear and swiveling bogie. It will not stow, unless you modify the shock absorber and make it spring loaded or simply extend it.

Edited by Silver Seraph