Revell Shelby Mustang GT 350 H

Hi All

My wife bought me this 1:24 Mustang for Christmas:

DEBClQ4D_t.jpg

And I finally got to finishing it, well, mostly (still lacking a number plate).
The GT 350 H was created by Carrol Shelby and it was a bit of a beast.
It had a 4.7 litre v8 but, given the cart springs on the rear, it must have been a pig around corners.
Anyway, it always was one of my favourite muscle cars, so I decided to have a go.

First impressions of the kit were not great. The mouldings seemed lumpy and vague and the chrome parts looked oversized.
The glass had some scuff marks as well. All in all, not a good first impression.
Anyway, I dived in and got to building it.
My first decision was to not use the Hertz black and gold finish because it really didn't appeal.
Some googling found the same car in dark green which looked much nicer so I bought a spray can of Tamiya British Green which
is a pretty good match. I also decided to give my car nice ox-blood leather seats, something I've always fancied
ever since I saw them in a green Aston Martin. I like the way the colours go together.
The seats were painted in acrylics, a mixture of burnt sienna, red and yellow. I brushed some gloss varnish on top to create that leathery look.

The kit came with decals but I didn't use any of them as they seemed very flimsy. Some of them are, frankly, so tiny as to be pointless.
I can't believe that they'd stick for any length of time. In the end I hand painted everything.

The finished car is just 18cm long and to be honest I would say it's too small to really contain the detail it should have.
At best it is an overview of the car, not a replica. One of these days I'll look into getting a bigger kit and see if I can make something
a bit more ambitious.

Having said all of that, I had fun building it and while it's very rough around the edges, it does hopefully capture something of the appeal
of the real thing.

Hope you enjoy the pics and I'd love to know what you guys think!
cheers
Monty

9r5nUxMo_t.jpg
Gln7zLwB_t.jpg
NLWKGRfg_t.jpg
4EBSaBSI_t.jpg
AZpaITMs_t.jpg
69An3GjX_t.jpg
Gd7z0KGF_t.jpg
QbAjKQBI_t.jpg
Yx3yHzoP_t.jpg

• Like 18

Nice work on this one, the colour suits it very well too. And, most importantly for car builders, you have all four wheels on the ground :)

I don't know if you have Microset and Microsol, but if not they are definitely worth a look, particularly for those small decals and should help hold them in place for the future. Too late for the Microset on this build, but you could still add Microsol to the ones you're worried about which will help them settle and therefore hold a bit better.

Nice build, I've just dug out my part completed version of this kit, which I started in the Mustang group build last year, with a view to getting it finished.

Thanks guys

Hey @Spiny just saw your Mustang and it looks excellent, nice work there :)

@johnlambert good luck with your build. See how many times you drop the minute and very slippery wing mirror on the floor and then spend a while on hands and knees searching for it. I managed three...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Monty said:

Thanks guys

Hey @Spiny just saw your Mustang and it looks excellent, nice work there :)

@johnlambert good luck with your build. See how many times you drop the minute and very slippery wing mirror on the floor and then spend a while on hands and knees searching for it. I managed three...

Thanks for the warning, to be fair most kit have parts that would rather be on the floor than on the model (or make you think they've fallen to the floor when they actually fell on the workbench and are hiding behind something else).

13 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

See how many times you drop the minute and very slippery wing mirror on the floor and then spend a while on hands and knees searching for it. I managed three...

That's where setting the modelling table up in a room with a plain black carpet comes in handy. Even better though was a suggestion from @Fnick to use blu-tak on the end of a cocktail stick for holding small parts when attaching them.

• Like 2

That's where setting the modelling table up in a room with a plain black carpet comes in handy. Even better though was a suggestion from @Fnick to use blu-tak on the end of a cocktail stick for holding small parts when attaching them.

@Spiny - nice idea. I've used sticky tape before now. Ideally, all my modelling would take place in a sealed environment with no cats or humans allowed, but that's not going to happen :(

• 2 months later...

Nice build especially in the green. I just completed the same car but I finished mine in red with the gold stripes. They delivered 50 of the 1966 Shelby 350H in red. You are right about the kit. It needed quite a bit of reworking to make it fit properly but the decals were a nightmare. I ended up buying two kits in order to correct all the errors I made. The decals were very difficult to work with and had to mold themselves over various curves and valleys. The twin stripes on the hood had to be cut in seven pieces then fit together to make two stripes over the hood scoop... My advice is if you decide to do this one make sure you watch all the  builds on line and plan ahead. Still, it's an iconic car and worth building.

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1