1/350 Royal Navy SSN and SSBN.

Hi all.

Carrying on from my Royal Navy theme in 2022 here's my take on the Silent Services two current boats, HMS Ambush is an Astute Class hunter killer submarine and HMS Victorious is a Vanguard class of bomber, the UK's current nuclear strike capability. Both kits are in 1/350 and in keeping with my current builds of the Type 23 and Type 45 surface ships.

Starting the the Astute class, this kit was a great little chunk of a kit, nothing fancy and everything available to enable realistic representation of the class of boat. the only thing that I was unsure of was the decals and the strength of the white markings, however when checked online these markings standout on the real thing, so that's good for me. Once competed the base was made from balsa base with a builders insulation core that the boat was sculpted into. when i was happy with that a plaster layer was added for the wave affect. when all that was dry acrylic painted were used for the sea colour. The waves were added with Delux materials waves and highlighted with white acrylic paint. all the was allowed to dry the coated with acrylic gloss varnish. I scoured the internet and eBay for an Ambush cap tally but had to settle for the Submarine Service and HMS Ambush crest badges.

Here she is in a heavy swell..

IMG_4186

IMG_4185

IMG_4184

IMG_4183

IMG_4187

Next comes the Bronco 1/350 Vanguard class of SSBN. This was a quick and easy build as well, having the extra bonus of being able to build it waterline. Again it went together as easy as pie and once sprayed in satin black, coated in sating varnish, the decals (what there is of them) were applied. A coat of Matt Tamiya varnish followed and was left to dry. Like the SSN, I added an Eduard White Ensign for effect and then moved to the base. This was achieved the same way as the HMS Ambush kit but a smoother sea state was replicated. All the same steps and materials were used as I'm more than happy with the way my sea scraping is working out.

Finally the model and base were PVA'ed to a Trumpeter display case base, I'm really seeing the benefit of keeping my flotilla on these, for storage and display. I was able to get a HMS Victorious cap tally and so it was duly mounted.

The shear size of the Vic was to be hold, she's some size when put up against my 1/350 HMS Invincible from Airfix.

IMG_4178

IMG_4180

IMG_4181

IMG_4179

IMG_4182

• Like 30

• 3 weeks later...

These are excellent, particulaly the bases!

I hate to tell you thought that the RN operates 3 classes of submarine currently, not 2 ;) . There are still 2 active Trafalgar class boats (HMS Talent and HMS Triumpth) they're being phased out on a 1 for 1 basis as the new Astutes complete. The last will be Agincourt in 2026, so you've still 1 more boat to build - the Airfix Trafalgar kit is quite nice though.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:36 PM, vSTAMPv said:

I hate to tell you thought that the RN operates 3 classes of submarine currently, not 2 ;) . There are still 2 active Trafalgar class boats (HMS Talent and HMS Triumpth) they're being phased out on a 1 for 1 basis as the new Astutes complete. The last will be Agincourt in 2026, so you've still 1 more boat to build - the Airfix Trafalgar kit is quite nice though.

Oh no, this means I’ll have to look at getting one of those over priced Airfix kits on evil bay😂😂😂

• Haha 1

On 27/03/2022 at 16:36, vSTAMPv said:

And I think by 2026, the first DREADNOUGHT should be in the water.

• Like 1