Ukrainian Su-24 digital camo - paint options

-Ian-

Hi all

For my next build which I'll hopefully start this weekend, I've decided on Trumpeter's 1/72 Fencer in the Ukrainian digital scheme.

I'm a recent convert to lacquers and have narrowed my paint choices down to Hataka orange line or MRP, both of whom produce colours specific to this scheme. Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these two is best in terms of accuracy, or is there a third option I hadn't considered?

From looking at @Lightningboy2000's very impressive Fencer build last year, I see Hataka's set doesn't include a convincing blue/grey tone, does anyone know if the MRP equivalent is better? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Ian- said:

Hi all

For my next build which I'll hopefully start this weekend, I've decided on Trumpeter's 1/72 Fencer in the Ukrainian digital scheme.

I'm a recent convert to lacquers and have narrowed my paint choices down to Hataka orange line or MRP, both of whom produce colours specific to this scheme. Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these two is best in terms of accuracy, or is there a third option I hadn't considered?

From looking at @Lightningboy2000's very impressive Fencer build last year, I see Hataka's set doesn't include a convincing blue/grey tone, does anyone know if the MRP equivalent is better? 

Hi Ian, thanks for the mention! 👍 I hope all goes well with your paint matching. I used the Hataka Red Line paints but before I used them proper on the model, I made up a swatch of all the paints from the box. I also took swatches of every other grey I had to hand. I don't currently have the FS numbers to hand which are on the Foxbot & Authentic decals instructions, but here's what I used. See if you can obtain matches equivalent to the following or use the Orange line equivalents.

Underside I used, Hataka A334 as stated on the box, but appears too dark in 1/72 so I did lighten it.

Nose & dielectric panels - Hataka A335 as per box

Upper light background grey was NOT Hataka AO48 - way too dark & brown in tint. I used Ammo Mig-226 (Very similar to Vallejo Model Color 70.905 FS35237) lightened with white.

The trouble I found was that most manufacturers seem to have their own equivalents of FS numbers & when you put them together they don't match, so best way is to do it by eye.

Next blue/grey was Vallejo 70.907.

Next was Hataka A249 from the box.

Last darkest colour was Hataka A030.

I do have some very good reference photos (found online - in good light) PM me for those. Basically I was going by the best close up photos I could find for the best matches.

Martin

25 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hi Ian, thanks for the mention! 👍 I hope all goes well with your paint matching. I used the Hataka Red Line paints but before I used them proper on the model, I made up a swatch of all the paints from the box. I also took swatches of every other grey I had to hand. I don't currently have the FS numbers to hand which are on the Foxbot & Authentic decals instructions, but here's what I used. See if you can obtain matches equivalent to the following or use the Orange line equivalents.

Underside I used, Hataka A334 as stated on the box, but appears too dark in 1/72 so I did lighten it.

Nose & dielectric panels - Hataka A335 as per box

Upper light background grey was NOT Hataka AO48 - way too dark & brown in tint. I used Ammo Mig-226 (Very similar to Vallejo Model Color 70.905 FS35237) lightened with white.

The trouble I found was that most manufacturers seem to have their own equivalents of FS numbers & when you put them together they don't match, so best way is to do it by eye.

Next blue/grey was Vallejo 70.907.

Next was Hataka A249 from the box.

Last darkest colour was Hataka A030.

I do have some very good reference photos (found online - in good light) PM me for those. Basically I was going by the best close up photos I could find for the best matches.

Martin

Thank Martin, PM on it's way.

I have the Mr Color equivalent of FS35237, I see what you mean, a lightened version of that could well work.