Canopy seals

Stressy

Since I mask almost all canopies manually, I usually prepare two masks for each of these sealed windows - standard one (fitting the window frames without seal), and one of same shape, but slightly smaller.

I first use the smaller one, spray yellow color, then use larger to mask to the frame (so I can cover the yellow and further use cammo colors). 

These seals were usually done by hand, so You can also free-hand the yellow lines with a brush, then use just the standard mask for each window (it will also cover the yellow).

Regards,

Aleksandar

1 minute ago, warhawk said:

These seals were usually done by hand, so You can also free-hand the yellow lines with a brush, then use just the standard mask for each window (it will also cover the yellow).

That is a brilliant idea. I've used the double masking technique that you describe, but painting the seals in when you only have to be accurate on one side of the line, should be much easier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

but painting the seals in when you only have to be accurate on one side of the line, should be much easier.

And it will also show on the inside canopy. Perfectly adequate for most 72nd and 48th scale closed canopies.

1 hour ago, Stressy said:

How do people replicate the presence of the (typically) yellow gasket material that is used between canopy transparencies and frame on many aircraft? 

I mask it

1 hour ago, warhawk said:

Since I mask almost all canopies manually, I usually prepare two masks for each of these sealed windows - standard one (fitting the window frames without seal), and one of same shape, but slightly smaller.

I first use the smaller one, spray yellow color, then use larger to mask to the frame (so I can cover the yellow and further use cammo colors). 

Regards,

Aleksandar

exactly my process :)

I've always used decals - stripes of the correct width and colour. I've not had any problems with the carrier film showing on the clear portions of the canopy, and I use the setting solutions just like I would for any decal. This seems a pretty easy way to do it, which is good for me because I'm pretty lazy.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

When I built my F 89 I did roughly the same as Warhawk.

230c27332e3a7045e5d8a0997691792a.jpg

The sealant colour was painted on the inside first then overcoated with the framing colour.  

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace Village Photos URL.
  • Like 1

If it's the messy pink stuff you see on Soviet/Russian aircraft, I mixed up a colour and hand painted it on my Mig-31 a few years back:

mig-31bm-10.jpg

mig-31bm-11.jpg

Holy crap! :shocked: That was 2016...

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 11:28 PM, Stressy said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure I can cut decal film narrow enough for 1/72 so I'll give the scratch and paint a go.

Check your references because the putty can be different colours - white, tan/stone, yellow(?), etc 

• Like 1