12 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Nice pictures thanks. I’m intrigued by the idea of a pond in a wreck. Oooo! How about a pool in a wrecked boat. World turned upside down kind of thing?

Now that’s an idea and a half!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Please help yourself to the idea if you want it. 🙂

I do want it but I have something so solidly pegged in my mind for this gb that I’m really looking forwards to it.

• Like 3

On 14/07/2022 at 09:54, Bertie McBoatface said:

I had an interesting conversation with @tiking overnight. He's posted a brilliant scrapyard diorama which I'll take the liberty of linking below as it's in the diorama section and might be missed by many of us.

So, scenting a potential Entropist, I sent him a link to this thread as an invitation. I wasn't particularly clear with the old words and he queried whether he would be able to submit 'Scrap Metal' next year. I explained that I was thinking of him doing something similar at the time but then it dawned on me that we don't have a 25% rule. We don't even have a 100% rule. We've always said it's fine to take a completed model and turn it into an entropised one BUT WHAT IT IT'S ALREADY AN ENTROPY CANDIDATE?

Inclusivity is something this GB is celebrated for so let's welcome old end-of-life models and dioramas even if they are already built. We aren't competing for prizes are we so the more gallery entrants we can gather, the better. Those who don't have a real time WIP log can join the party just by joining in the conversations and giving us the benefit of their experience. 

They will be the Entropy Group Build Volunteer Reserve (EGBVR) (or The Eager Beavers? 😄)

Tiking intends to enter 'Scrap Metal' and do another one too so I'm adding his name to our list and welcoming him twice over.

I'll amend the opening proposal later today assuming that there isn't an uprising against the idea before then. What do you think, Entropists?

Are there any constitutional objections to the Eager Beavers, @Enzo Matrix

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Let's just re-inforce something here.  There are no hard and fast groupbuild rules.  The GB rules are whatever the GB hosts say they are! 

The only rule I would insist on is the one about no buying and selling in the GB forum.  Britmodeller already has a forum for this.

The 25% rule is generally accepted to prevent someone taking a masterpiece off the display shelf and putting it into the gallery.  However, you are proposing that someone take a finished model and entropise it.  Is that a word?  :shrug:  I think it is now.    Entropisage (my apologies, Dr Johnson.  I am anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation) of a completed model seems to me to me entirely in keeping with the spirit of this groupbuild.  However, it should be noted that simple weathering of the model so that it is still operational is not in the spirit.  If it is weathered to the extent that the local authorities are placing hazard tape around it...  then we need to see that!  :lol:

I would however recommend that completed entropy models are not eligible in the gallery.  We can set up an Inspiration Gallery for those models.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

would however recommend that completed entropy models are not eligible in the gallery.  We can set up an Inspiration Gallery for those models.

That’s just the job. Viewers of the old Entropic models would then be able to comment directly within that thread. That’s much simpler than my over-thought  plan.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 4:52 AM, Bertie McBoatface said:

That’s just the job. Viewers of the old Entropic models would then be able to comment directly within that thread. That’s much simpler than my over-thought  plan.   

I've updated the first post to reflect that.

We now have 41 Entropists signed up for this epic adventure!

• Like 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to The Entropy Group Build - Rusting, Rotting Wrecks and Relics - How Machines Die - Now We Are 41!

How about this one? It's from the French National Automobile Museum I went to while on holidays in the neighbourhood. 

20220727171715-b13f1fa6-me.jpg

• Like 3

Slightly off topic perhaps but a few weeks back I was being dragged going round my local Trago Mills with SWMBO and in the pet section they had some fish tanks with various "undersea features" ie rocks, seaweed etc. Nothing new about that of course, but these also had "wrecked planes" as well and actually did not look too bad! It must be 30 years since I stopped keeping tropical fish so I have not bothered looking at that sort of thing for a long time, but I see on Amazon that the range of "ruined buildings" fish tank ornaments that were around back then have now been expanded to include all sorts of "wrecks" - ships, planes and vehicles. Most are pretty crude but some are really quite detailed.  Of course I am not suggesting that anybody sticks their kits in a tank with live fish in - they are prone enough to all sorts of illnesses without adding the risk of some sort of toxicity from plastic/paint!

Another thought that comes to mind goes back to my first visit to the Tank Museum in around 1987. The first tank I saw as I pulled into the car park was a rusty old Matilda Mk I infantry tank which had been used on the ranges for live firing exercises and was full of shell holes. I do have a photo somewhere but can't find it, but it gives me an idea, so I may just enter something similar in this GB if it gets through the Bunfight.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Slightly off topic perhaps

No, I don't think so. Underwater wrecks are an interesting idea. Maybe under-resin would be more convenient though. 

May I add your name to the rollcall of the Entropists? At this stage you are just registering an interest as we are definitely in the bunfight already. That way, I'll send you a reminder to vote 'Entropy' when the time comes.

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

May I add your name to the rollcall of the Entropists? At this stage you are just registering an interest as we are definitely in the bunfight already. That way, I'll send you a reminder to vote 'Entropy' when the time comes.

Certainly!

Pete

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to The Entropy Group Build - Rusting, Rotting Wrecks and Relics - How Machines Die - Now We Are 42!

@ModelingEdmontonian, @PZRGREN and @helios16v

Hi guys, I noticed that you 'liked' the introductory post in this thread. I wonder if you would like me to add your names to the nominal roll of The Entropists (which will be the mailing list when we get to the bunfight, and with a bit of luck, the start of the GB some time next year)?

49 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

@ModelingEdmontonian, @PZRGREN and @helios16v

Hi guys, I noticed that you 'liked' the introductory post in this thread. I wonder if you would like me to add your names to the nominal roll of The Entropists (which will be the mailing list when we get to the bunfight, and with a bit of luck, the start of the GB some time next year)?

Don't think I have any ideas of what I might contribute, but I love the theme and can't wait to see what people accomplish! So supportive, but not looking to participate.

32 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Don't think I have any ideas of what I might contribute, but I love the theme and can't wait to see what people accomplish! So supportive, but not looking to participate.

Thanks, I'm sure it's going to be interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

There are always boneyard planes and abandoned wrecks ? 

https://pin.it/4ztugN5

https://pacificwrecks.com/provinces/japan/iwo_jima/1952/mustang.html

• Like 1

I have what I believe to be a great subject for this build; the only problems are a) how to display it, b) how to build it (as a good chunk of the kit would have to be thrown away and replaced with scratch-built parts using incredibly thin metal such as foil or lithoplate) and c) will my woeful skills bear up to the job?!

59 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I have what I believe to be a great subject for this build; the only problems are a) how to display it, b) how to build it (as a good chunk of the kit would have to be thrown away and replaced with scratch-built parts using incredibly thin metal such as foil or lithoplate) and c) will my woeful skills bear up to the job?!

No serious problems then. 😄

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I see that you are an aircraft buff. I did a battle damaged F-4 earlier in the year with a lot of thinning of skin and some foil use. Not quite enough for this GB but the idea was the same. There's a WIP if you are interested. (That link takes you to the heart of the matter).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

will my woeful skills bear up to the job?!

You are probably being overly self-critical.  But even if your project turns to worms, you will have improved your skills and hopefully had a bit of fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Interesting!!! Sounds curious can you spill the beans or would it spoil the surprise?  

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2022 at 23:25, Bertie McBoatface said:

No serious problems then. 😄

No, not at all!  I may take the fifth and do something far less ambitious, but at the moment the plan is (assuming that this GB gets through the Bunfight, which it surely will) to clear the decks of other projects during the given timeslot to allow time for experimentation and re-doing things.

15 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I see that you are an aircraft buff. I did a battle damaged F-4 earlier in the year with a lot of thinning of skin and some foil use. Not quite enough for this GB but the idea was the same. There's a WIP if you are interested. (That link takes you to the heart of the matter).

Thanks Bertie - I shall have a good long look at that thread and see if I'm thinking along the same lines as you took.

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

You are probably being overly self-critical.  But even if your project turns to worms, you will have improved your skills and hopefully had a bit of fun. 

Ha, if only!  The build I have in mind is way beyond anything I've attempted before, and really should be part of a diorama (but I've never tried one of those before, either, and it would all be a bit much, I think).  The kit will have to be built, painted, destroyed in very specific ways, new bits made and fitted and then the whole thing weathered in extremis before seventy-odd years' worth of seaweed, barnacles and associated corrosion added.  It might just be a great big Charlie Foxtrot, and I'll be pleased to managed anything better than that.

1 hour ago, Muchmirth said:

Interesting!!! Sounds curious can you spill the beans or would it spoil the surprise?  

I don't know - I don't want to be that guy who unnecessarily cloaks his project in a cloud of secrecy and paranoia, but I also don't want to be that guy who makes bold claims and then later has to row back on them when his ego proves to have written a(nother) cheque his body can't cash.

• Like 1