2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

There's some very nice pictures online of this A-39 range wreck, I will hunt them down later and post them in here ;)

I've plans to open up the engine deck and scratch some kind of machinery in there, and maybe take the side plates off too. Otherwise it's just a brick - about the same size too. I've noticed that large lumps of range wrecks are apt to disappear, presumably into the yards of midnight scrap merchants, so the fact that I didn't fit the top run of the tracks can easily be explained away. No one will ever know how lazy I was.

Ooops!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I've plans to open up the engine deck and scratch some kind of machinery in there, and maybe take the side plates off too. Otherwise it's just a brick - about the same size too. I've noticed that large lumps of range wrecks are apt to disappear, presumably into the yards of midnight scrap merchants, so the fact that I didn't fit the top run of the tracks can easily be explained away. No one will ever know how lazy I was.

Yep, with a rusty wreck of any sort, all manner of things can be easily explained away, freedom to do whatever you want :D

AVvXsEhYMcQL5rxuwJe9tN8s40kkifKUnxWJad95

AVvXsEh4MB1-zLtIXiALjvtCN0miTgFAriJ71iqP

;)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Yep, with a rusty wreck of any sort, all manner of things can be easily explained away, freedom to do whatever you want :D

AVvXsEhYMcQL5rxuwJe9tN8s40kkifKUnxWJad95

AVvXsEh4MB1-zLtIXiALjvtCN0miTgFAriJ71iqP

;)

That's brilliant thanks. I hadn't seen the colour pictures before. Look at the size of that shackle! The tank weighs 70 tons but that shackle I think could lift a cruiser - ship, not tank!

And the top run of the tracks are missing!

• Like 1

If anyone has done this sort of thing before please post a photo or two as encouragement. Here's a couple of mine, a Lightning from a scrappies on the A1 in Lincolnshire (realism, from photos) and a frightened dying robot from the end of the universe (idealism, from imagination).

y4m3OkqzwVup6JzhlhYDip-KoZT8AMTVqZrGpugA

y4mGQoaxec-5o5LYs6USBHiq2-dFvW98sZsIuNru

y4mc5rk-8vtxAvMNRylZ3-D9ZjQXc97hLLd6NgVE

This was my version...

y4mJ9CdifXg5YncEQWh5m4adSL2lmmC1uF9kWzfH

...of this.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I remember the Lightning next to the A1 just south of the Newark A46 junction.  Over the years I watched it deteriorate, it was a 92 Sqn F2A, now long gone.

There was quite a conversation about it when I put it up as an RFI. (Search on ‘Prometheus’ to track it down). It’s probably best not to go over it all again here. 

Can I interest you in a relic build of some kind, Bob? They are great fun. 

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Can I interest you in a relic build of some kind, Bob? They are great fun. 

I think you certainly could, Bertie.  I have a few things that I could join a GB with, A War Hammer crashed spacecraft, an old steam train or a tank come to mind. :hmmm:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The tank weighs 70 tons but that shackle I think could lift a cruiser - ship, not tank!

I think it's fair to say that they over engineered certain aspects of this beast of a Tank/Bridge Destroyer, and @APA did a very good build log of one of these a while back ;)

And, who can resist a rusty wreck Scammell Pioneer!! I've got one of these in the stash (Thunder Models) so if the time scale of the group build is fairly long, I would probably have a go at one of these, they are very cool as barn find rusty wrecks :D

AVvXsEhYEemwiyJe_YJNBjl7iWkwF-cMq9mVaEmO

;)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Sorry chaps, I have so much on at the moment with little time for modelling,

fingers crossed that everything settles down soon :huh:

I hope you find a bit of peaceful modelling time soon. 

This GB might not happen for 18 months, maybe things will be calmer then. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I think you certainly could, Bertie.  I have a few things that I could join a GB with, A War Hammer crashed spacecraft, an old steam train or a tank come to mind. :hmmm:

You are on the list. That made ten of us in the first 24 hours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I think it's fair to say that they over engineered certain aspects of this beast of a Tank/Bridge Destroyer, and @APA did a very good build log of one of these a while back ;)

And, who can resist a rusty wreck Scammell Pioneer!! I've got one of these in the stash (Thunder Models) so if the time scale of the group build is fairly long, I would probably have a go at one of these, they are very cool as barn find rusty wrecks :D

AVvXsEhYEemwiyJe_YJNBjl7iWkwF-cMq9mVaEmO

;)

The tortoise is a great big canvas to play on indeed. 

Have to admit I do have a thunder models scammell in the stash and the intention is to do a rusty wreck. 

Oh go on then. Put me down @Bertie Psmith

Andrew 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, APA said:

The tortoise is a great big canvas to play on indeed. 

Have to admit I do have a thunder models scammell in the stash and the intention is to do a rusty wreck. 

Oh go on then. Put me down @Bertie Psmith

Andrew 

Hello Andrew, I thought you would find this one to your taste. Welcome!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

I'm not signing up for the GB (yet), but I saw this and thought it might be of interest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-60696767

Thanks Mr Davidson. That's yet another angle for exploration.

You said, "(yet)".   At this stage, a year and a half from kick off, folks are really only saying that the idea is a good one and worth a vote in November. There's no commitment yet to actually make something...

• Like 2

Bertie,

You seem to have struck a very note worthy chord with this idea for a group build.

Sign me up - I think it will be interesting to follow that path less trodden; nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

cheers, Graham aka ColonelKrypton

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Bertie,

You seem to have struck a very note worthy chord with this idea for a group build.

Sign me up - I think it will be interesting to follow that path less trodden; nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

cheers, Graham aka ColonelKrypton

Hi Graham, you are on the list, and that makes us 'The Rusty Dozen'.

• Haha 3

Ok count me in I’d love to try my hand at some extreme weathering.

033-BCB01-6607-4-E91-84-E9-A282-DA21-AF8

E4958715-99-CA-4-D3-E-98-D6-AD94-F5-F4-D

F3607-A75-E4-F4-4-AE4-B361-5314-F1-A7-B3

normally I’m much more restrained :) 

60663398-494-E-44-DD-805-F-62-E6-BB8920-I’d love to try something like this, of course it would have to be done as a diorama. I can smell the hairyspray already :) The patina on the T34 wouldn’t be a million miles away must need more rust and a lot more texture.

7-F73-C40-D-11-F3-4091-9-A34-77-BDBCC560This looks like it might also fit the bill. Over €100 ouch, I think I need to start saving now or perhaps settle for a more modest weathering set :) and spend the money on a few kits.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Marklo said:

7-F73-C40-D-11-F3-4091-9-A34-77-BDBCC560This looks like it might also fit the bill. Over €100 ouch, I think I need to start saving now or perhaps settle for a more modest weathering set :) and spend the money on a few kits.

I've added you to the list Marklo. Welcome to the scrapyard! 😄

I've seen that kind of 'real' rust stuff before. It's basically paint with iron filings in it and an oxidiser to develop the rust. I never used it though. I've seen the results and to my eye it appeared out of scale. It was real rust and not a scale model of rust. However, for the extreme cases of corrosion that we are talking about here, perhaps it would look good.

But a hundred euros! 😱 That's too steep for me. I have found all of the AK (or is it Ammo, or Abeiltung, or MiG?) products to be very expensive and not noticeably better than the other suppliers so I won't be investing in this set, despite its beautiful packaging and advertising. (Why do they trade under so many names?)

Edit: The link below leads to the old rust effect that I was talking about, though it's changed its name from 'Modelmates' since I last saw it. It's been around for decades and costs around a tenner in UK. Comes in different colours too. 

https://dirtydown.co.uk/product/water-soluble-paint-rust-25ml-pot/

• Like 3

@Marklo

I just googled 'rust effect' and was surprised to find that household paints are now available with the iron filings and oxidiser system. You can paint a whole room rusty for fifty quid!

It was a fruitful search though, with lots of leads to good ideas and YouTube tutorials.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1