You can count me in with this one.  I've had a hankering to model an old tank (WW2 or cold war) that's been left out on the Anti-armour range, full of holes.  Something like this, but with even more damage:

r5hYOfO.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ErikT said:

You can count me in with this one.  I've had a hankering to model an old tank (WW2 or cold war) that's been left out on the Anti-armour range, full of holes.  Something like this, but with even more damage:

r5hYOfO.jpg

You are very welcome Erik. I'll add your name directly.

What do you think hit the Sherman? It looks like a single burst of fire or shower of submunitions perhaps?

Looks like it's just been sitting on the range for years being used as a target.  Probably been hit by .50 cal repeatedly, or even larger munitions like a 25 mm.  I wish I had photos of the old Centurion tank hulk I shot with an M72 rocket back in 1997.  That beast had a lot of holes from the Carl Gustav 84 mm.  The M72 barely made a dent.

• Like 1

The itch that won't go away!

I've fund a cluster of abandoned railway bridges that lend themselves to this. And a rotting hulk of a boat, the one next to it is called Phenix so I think that name will be transferred.

go on, I'm in (way over my head already)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

The itch that won't go away!

I've fund a cluster of abandoned railway bridges that lend themselves to this. And a rotting hulk of a boat, the one next to it is called Phenix so I think that name will be transferred.

go on, I'm in (way over my head already)

You are booked in, Sir, and welcome. Remember, you can check out any time you like ... but you can never leave. 😱

A rotting boat called Phoenix, under a rusty bridge? What a vision that would be!

• Haha 1

This would be my ultimate, or should that be nadir?

PXL-20220602-103717120-MP.jpg 

Yes that is a bush growing in this little weekend restoration project! no idea how I'd go about doing this. Probably start sourcing an engine and take it from there. I'd start off with an old bridge first (to cut my teeth on)

Edited by Mjwomack
Typo
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:46 AM, Mjwomack said:

Yes that is a bush growing in this little weekend restoration project! no idea how I'd go about doing this. Probably start sourcing an engine and take it from there. I'd start off with an old bridge first (to cut my teeth on)

It's almost growing back into the ground. What a brilliant idea for an entropical build!

• Like 1

You don't have to walk far to find inspiration for this GB. I found these two while I walked the dog yesterday.

y4m8g0T-UXiE8_fL1iBmC7Ayy2oja4tBwq8gSgc_

You needn't spend much money either. A car modeller could do this with a handful of parts from their spares box and some cardboard. And a tarp, of course.

y4mMjJUSL7wahT-CD5c3EHgfAQWd_BYrcsBKRgQk

How about a boat washed up on the rocks? Well, washed up on the rockery in this example from a garden hard by a lake.

• Like 2

I've started looking at the local disused railway bridges. Think I'd go with a composite but noticed one of them has an abandoned car in the field next to it- what could be finer? Well maybe an old railway wagon van body used as a livestock shelter before being completely forgotten

Admittedly wandering around the fields is slower than browsing the t'internet but I've been topping up my vitamin D so I don't decay too quickly myself

• Like 4

On 6/18/2022 at 4:41 PM, Mjwomack said:

I've started looking at the local disused railway bridges.

I've been caught staring at a decaying farm building which seems on the point of total collapse. I may even have been talking to the dog. "Look at those colours and textures, Tess. Beautiful!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Since I started this madness I've been overtaken by another mania. I'm now building wooden boats instead of plastic and that's got me thinking about building 'models of decay' from materials which are themselves prone to decay, like wood, obviously or... cake? There must be something else that could be used to make a living, or rather a dying diorama.

• Haha 1

On 10/05/2022 at 23:01, Marklo said:

I’m now downloading an NCC 1701D(?) blueprint and wondering how to model the trees :) 

Model railway z scale trees?

There är etched trees and people in 1/243; 1/350; 1/400 scales

Cheers, Moggy

On 6/3/2022 at 9:46 AM, Mjwomack said:

I bet the missing port side and bow sections went up in a Viking funeral, otherwise known as a beach barbeque.

• Haha 2

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to The Entropy Group Build - Rusting, Rotting Wrecks and Relics - How Machines Die

I had an interesting conversation with @tiking overnight. He's posted a brilliant scrapyard diorama which I'll take the liberty of linking below as it's in the diorama section and might be missed by many of us.

So, scenting a potential Entropist, I sent him a link to this thread as an invitation. I wasn't particularly clear with the old words and he queried whether he would be able to submit 'Scrap Metal' next year. I explained that I was thinking of him doing something similar at the time but then it dawned on me that we don't have a 25% rule. We don't even have a 100% rule. We've always said it's fine to take a completed model and turn it into an entropised one BUT WHAT IT IT'S ALREADY AN ENTROPY CANDIDATE?

Inclusivity is something this GB is celebrated for so let's welcome old end-of-life models and dioramas even if they are already built. We aren't competing for prizes are we so the more gallery entrants we can gather, the better. Those who don't have a real time WIP log can join the party just by joining in the conversations and giving us the benefit of their experience. 

They will be the Entropy Group Build Volunteer Reserve (EGBVR) (or The Eager Beavers? 😄)

Tiking intends to enter 'Scrap Metal' and do another one too so I'm adding his name to our list and welcoming him twice over.

I'll amend the opening proposal later today assuming that there isn't an uprising against the idea before then. What do you think, Entropists?

Are there any constitutional objections to the Eager Beavers, @Enzo Matrix

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermo245 said:

Count me in please - have a couple of ideas at hand!

Cheers,

Dermot

Excellent - two new members in a single day! You are very welcome Dermot.

I take it you are keeping your cards close to your chest for the moment but I'm dying to know what you have in mind.

52 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Excellent - two new members in a single day! You are very welcome Dermot.

I take it you are keeping your cards close to your chest for the moment but I'm dying to know what you have in mind.

Thanks!
Will either be HMS Monmouth or an F-4 Phantom in the dump.

Good evening Bertie.. I was working near our old dumper today and I thought it may be of interest to add to your thread. (Plenty of rust and rot and it even has its own pool.)😀

p?i=bc128a594b2ac0327922f89834f0fe41

p?i=2a9dbf91108468dd5994d6434a979f25

p?i=bdcb6a776bdfec359ad797f950ad3d21

p?i=0ad0007e6d79ed5dc34ad5ece3c7a22e

p?i=39ef0049107cb1752a15c482aaf65a23

p?i=2b75e37d51b35690900a68440bdaebae

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1