5 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The Works cheap acrylic paint's not bad for the money though. if you slap it on thik.

That was my thinking. For the algae thick and grainy would be good. I’m tempted to make up a mule of the Sherman glacial plate and try to replicate the effect.

Yes Poster paints are usually cheap and nasty, generally not good for modelling, but I have made some nice mud effects using them along with newspaper and water.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

The more I look at this the more I reckon that the algae could be done with tissue paper and glue and poster paint for the colour.

When I first started work on this years ago, my first idea was to use tissue paper soaked in PVA glue, and then brushed in a downwards motion (obv) with a fine suede brush, to give it the texture, but I wasn't confident to be honest, hence I stuck the model on my shelf of doom, and went back to scratchin stuff :D

Matt

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

When I first started work on this years ago, my first idea was to use tissue paper soaked in PVA glue, and then brushed in a downwards motion (obv) with a fine suede brush, to give it the texture, but I wasn't confident to be honest, hence I stuck the model on my shelf of doom, and went back to scratchin stuff :D

Matt

That's EXACTLY what I thought of.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2022 at 10:32, Bertie Psmith said:

That was the one that first caught my eye. Lime greens and oranges make such a change from fifty shades of olive drab.

People think that rust is boring, but it's far from boring, it has incredible texture, and a wide range of colour, including a huge amount of orange (as you say) and it's the orange contrasting with the deep black/browns that give it so much life, then you add in the bright greens of the seaweed/algae/slime and all hell breaks loose, plus of course whoever took that picture had perfect understanding of composition (if that's the right word) he got the angle and the framing of the picture just right, and that of course is all just my humble opinion ;)

Matt

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

People think that rust is boring, but it's far from boring, it has incredible texture, and a wide range of colour, including a huge amount of orange (as you say) and it's the orange contrasting with the deep black/browns that give it so much life, then you add in the bright greens of the seaweed/algae/slime and all hell breaks loose, plus of course whoever took that picture had perfect understanding of composition (if that's the right word) he got the angle and the framing of the picture just right, and that of course is all just my humble opinion ;)

Matt

That's why so many minipainters of the grimdark/blanchitsu tribes add a little verdigris to their rusty bits. It looks natural as there's often a bit of copper bleeding out of the inside of the machine, but the contrast is always wild between warm orange/browns and freezing electric green/blues. It makes your eyes vibrate! 

4-EB9-BAE4-C1-F9-43-B2-AFD0-39-D58-C75-DThis was what got me thinking the first place, the mud is dissolved newspaper mixed with poster paint and PVA, I’m wondering if a similar mix with tissue paper might give the texture of the algae, hmm worth a try, I reckon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Well, I found this in the stash, it hasn’t been started….

Could have some potential, abandoned. 

xoNciir.jpg

Why abandoned… Most Ma.K stuff is rusty anyways as its been in continuous use for long periods (decades) of time from what I understand. 

• Like 2

I've signed up for far too many 2023 GB's already.  If half of them get through then I'm still going to be under severe pressure to enter a build in each.  I have to move house, too, which will put additional pressures on time, resources etc.  With that in mind the only sensible option is to ask to be added to the list.!

Goodness knows what I'll build, although I immediately thought of one of those Bf109s that crashed into the sea off Norway and were recovered a few years back, or one of the Fw190s that turned up in the forest in Russia in the late 1990's.  Or the Goodwin Sands Dornier, or the Maid of Harlech, or....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I've signed up for far too many 2023 GB's already.  If half of them get through then I'm still going to be under severe pressure to enter a build in each.  I have to move house, too, which will put additional pressures on time, resources etc.  With that in mind the only sensible option is to ask to be added to the list.!

Goodness knows what I'll build, although I immediately thought of one of those Bf109s that crashed into the sea off Norway and were recovered a few years back, or one of the Fw190s that turned up in the forest in Russia in the late 1990's.  Or the Goodwin Sands Dornier, or the Maid of Harlech, or....

I could only laugh at that first paragraph once 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Why abandoned… Most Ma.K stuff is rusty anyways as its been in continuous use for long periods (decades) of time from what I understand. 

Well, abandoned is more the point of the GB than just rusty. My car has a few (many) rusty bits but it isn't a rusty wreck and a relic yet. I could say the same for myself!

Rusty and still in use is just weathering, when you think about it. We are going further, much, much farther than that! (You say further and I say farther, you say eggplant and I say aubergine, lets call the whole thing awwwwff! 🎼)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

This is a super idea, my first thought was for a shipwreck but @Corsairfoxfouruncle's AMARG photo gave me some inspiration.

Please put me on the list, it's a long way off enough to think of something!

You're logged, old chum. "Captain's log, final entry.." That suits either a ship or a sci-fi subject, me heartie!

That takes us up to nineteen, one more volunteer and we will have scored!

(This is just like bingo, which is something I usually avoid because I can't take the excitement.)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

You're logged, old chum. "Captain's log, final entry.." That suits either a ship or a sci-fi subject, me heartie!

This just gave me an idea. Get a star destroyer kit, chop some holes in the hull and give it a rudimentary interior in areas. Give it some corrosion and lay it in the ship breakers yard seen in “The Bad Batch” or on a sand dune on Jakku where Rey was. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This just gave me an idea. Get a star destroyer kit, chop some holes in the hull and give it a rudimentary interior in areas. Give it some corrosion and lay it in the ship breakers yard seen in “The Bad Batch” or on a sand dune on Jakku where Rey was. 

Is that The Mondrian?

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No the one I was thinking of was Bracca.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bracca

What the ping did you just send me into? I haven't even seen all of the movies and there's a whole other world of SW out there.

Whatever, your idea would be amazing given the size of those ships!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

What the ping did you just send me into? I haven't even seen all of the movies and there's a whole other world of SW out there.

Whatever, your idea would be amazing given the size of those ships!

My apologies if I spoiled anything. If you're not sure then stay away from Wookiepedia. Ive gotten trapped in there for hours following info from page to page. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

A tiny proportion of the machines that we model end up preserved in museums but the vast majority end their days in scrapyards or abandoned and decaying in some forgotten location. We have all seen models of 'planes, tanks, ships rotting away in these circumstances. They get presented in the RFI forums from time to time and every time it happens, the level of interest is very high indeed. 

Would this be a good theme for a group build? Here's some reasons to consider.

It's completely inclusive. Civilian cars go rusty in scrapyards. Trains rot away in sidings. Knights in armour become archaeological digs? Sci fi is packed with abandoned spaceships and Mad Max scrapyard recycled vehicles. Even Real Space vehicles get abandoned when the batteries give up, though their decay may take millions of years. Have I missed a genre? Everything passes away eventually. The universe tends towards entropy, disorder and chaos.

It's equally attractive to the dedicated 'realists' who might want to replicate exactly a photograph of a particular machine, and the 'idealists' who might prefer to work from imagination. Either approach can be relatively simple or give great scope for whatever particular skills you choose to exercise.

It's great for dioramas, vignettes, bases but also for stand alone subjects.

It can be fiendishly complicated or relatively simple. You could spend a fortune on a tank interior kit for example and then 'build it' in a dismantled condition OR you could repurpose that ancient dweller on your shelf of doom and make a virtue out of necessity. The 25% rule is not applicable to this GB so feel free to get a second helping of fun from your old builds, broken builds or half finished stuff.

It's well supported by images on the internet. Research is easy. I've done a quick search and posted a few examples for inspiration.

It's as much of a challenge as you want it to be. The chaos of decay is much more difficult to do than the organised regularity of a new machine but it can also be little more difficult than extreme weathering.

y4mKNzULIevvX0Gq1Sir8bHvvGL8UKPAFYbN9jTF

Not the usual airliner model.

y4mId7YmvUiux9as7I5hUlSTtkGlfO3ijjTdOKjt

Real space.

y4mNuW1gxt8oUEely1cEiuVEzxb7IVM-Bjv_Cjfk

Large scale boats. Look at those colours!

y4mJYDM4orFeHEfHyoYfv26wFzdiYEF4khm7lhz_

Armour. Yes, armour plate does rust.

y4my1L_oeob2MYE0gYHwlyryqiy7hFkURG2x4E_N

Cruise ship.

y4m318WWpvbOFipCFSevQ9Ooh_eeWqudfwgJFD5t

Trucks.

y4mUnGksRS0vLv6Of-vg6lhgL8-PbFqPBVvU4woV

Aw!

y4m5zjyAx-rdfMWkS-E1UP2D9_nv5cEMZyZhNenw

Sci fi.

y4m0CIrcYaTcrMI146wiW_AeaBFnndfGtMRBI4A4

Military ship on the way to the breakers.

y4mBN7XoH1yB-F15Nnl_sre8zIBytBj1K80TCPXy

I'm stretching it a bit but this is almost applicable to figure modelling, maybe?

y4mVz38852rtq8-3FaJJQCq2P_dQAJbSaGfRmapA

Mostly aluminium but there's still some rust!

y4mjkWcxdq2172n5zcREX-EF0nBOoTA-kPm77JYl

Classic cars.

This proposal arose from @Cerberus's most excellent build of an abandoned Sherman tank on a beach in Costa Rica

where it's already created interest in the minds of @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Longbow and me. 

Would anyone else like to support the idea? Check your stocks of orange paint and put your name down today!

~~~~

1. @Bertie Psmith
  2. @Longbow
  3. @Bonhoff
  4. @Cerberus
  5. @desert falcon
  6. @Moggy
  7. @Stef N.
  8. @Jasper dog
  9. @Corsairfoxfouruncle
  10. @Retired Bob
  11. @APA
  12. @ColonelKrypton
  13. @Marklo
  14. @JeroenS
  15. @Adam Poultney
  16. @Bobby No Mac
  17. @Robert Stuart
  18. @jackroadkill
  19. @Alan P
  20. @Andy Dyck

~~~~

3 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Welcome to the Entropy Group Build Andy. I am delighted to see you here. Your work is always astonishingly good and I look forward to seeing what you will create next year! 😀

I have added your name to the master list on the first post. That makes 20 of us (a 'score' in old English measurement). We only need another ten interested people for this proposal to be entered into the Bunfight, the election of next year's group builds by popular vote of all Britmodeller members who are interested in group builds. The Bunfight happens in the Autumn. 

I am telling you this because I have not seen you in a group build before. The system is quite complicated. It took me months to understand it. 🙃

• Thanks 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to The Entropy Group Build - Rusting Wrecks and Relics - We have scored! 20 Names already in less than a week!

Hi Bertie, Please add me to the list. I've only ever done small amounts of rusting metal effects, so this could be an interesting challenge. I'm always in awe of those modellers that seem to replicate decay so well. Possibly a great GB to learn some new weathering techniques.

Kind regards,

Stix