All of you out there that have not voted for the best group build idea better get your collective behinds into action and vote for the best group build idea - ENTROPY!!!

Never mind any democrates or republicans vote entropy!

Vote Vote Vote !

• Like 2

FWIW - I almost certainly won’t participate in this particular group-build, but nevertheless I’ve just thrown in a vote for it so I can sit on the sidelines and see what mayhem unfolds. 

Good luck Entropy fans!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 08/11/2022 at 09:37, Bertie McBoatface said:

It isn't over yet, there's still another week of polling, but I recommend having a back up plan.

spacer.png

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Woof woof woof!!!

Edited by Bill1974

2 minutes ago, Bill1974 said:

spacer.png

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Woof woof woof!!!

Even Oddball had a back up plan. "Drink wine, eat cheese, catch some sun..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Bill, you just elected yourself official cheerleader!

• Like 2

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to The Entropy Group Build - Scrapyard wrecks, abandoned machines, crashes and decay - ANY stash queen is suitable - the ALL-INCLUSIVE GB
4 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

And Bill, you just elected yourself official cheerleader!

The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!

Woof woof woof

Let's make this happen folks - keep voting and keep them tigers busy busy busy (or shoot paint up their a$€e’s.....)

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

FWIW - I almost certainly won’t participate in this particular group-build, but nevertheless I’ve just thrown in a vote for it so I can sit on the sidelines and see what mayhem unfolds. 

Good luck Entropy fans!

Your a true gent Steve! Thanks.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Good luck Entropy fans!

Yes, thanks very much Steve. (I note that you left a loophole there - 'almost'. See you on the build!)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Are there any that you are sweating about? 

Not at the moment, but I’m seriously considering floating what I think is a highly original idea for the 2023 bunfight. If that happens I will be sweating profusely and will greatly appreciate any support the folks here might provide.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Not at the moment, but I’m seriously considering floating what I think is a highly original idea for the 2023 bunfight. If that happens I will be sweating profusely and will greatly appreciate any support the folks here might provide.

Well that’s make me curious as hell? I know you prob don’t want to let the cat out the bag but would it involve any scratch building by chance? Because if it does then that’d be very cool!!

Edited by Muchmirth
Typo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Do tell!

• Like 1

Just now, Muchmirth said:

Well that’s make me curious as hell? I know you prob don’t want to let the cat out the bag but would it involve any scratch building by chance? Because if does then that’s be very cool!!

A scratch GB would be brilliant if we could make it fly.

• Like 1

No, not a scratchbuild GB. Much more inclusive than that. I’ve noticed that, generally speaking, broad and inclusive topics do well in the bunfight. The idea is a genuine theme but - just like ‘Entropy’ - it could include practically anyone or anything.

I’m not sure about two things:

1, How much work is involved in running one of these things?

2, Is it a good idea (or not) to float a new proposal during the bunfight?

Any thoughts welcome.

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

No, not a scratchbuild GB. Much more inclusive than that. I’ve noticed that, generally speaking, broad and inclusive topics do well in the bunfight. The idea is a genuine theme but - just like ‘Entropy’ - it could include practically anyone or anything.

I’m not sure about two things:

1, How much work is involved in running one of these things?

As much or as little as you like. I've enjoyed playing at 'presidential candidate' recruiting, hectoring, gathering support. I've kept Entropy near to the top of the various forum index pages continuously, and not by typing 'bump' either. lol. Does anyone NOT know about Entropy? But I see others float a good idea and then not even follow their own thread for six months. If the idea is good, perhaps it finds its own way by word of mouth. 

@Enzo the Magnificent is magnificent at showing you the way with the admin which is minor compared to say, building a shed.. 

If the Entropy GB runs, I intend to look at every build every day and make an encouraging comment. I'll chase those who have stopped building every few weeks to offer encouragement too. I've seen GB hosts do this and enjoyed receiving that level of attention. I may well not have time build my own model in the GB due to changing circumstances 😁 but that's not my priority. On the other hand, some GB hosts have an almost invisible style and no-one complains. So there's a lot of flexibility.

A last thought. Most ideas don't make it to the bunfight, never mind the calendar. Don't take it personally, it's like auditioning for a role at the Opera House. 

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

2, Is it a good idea (or not) to float a new proposal during the bunfight?

Any thoughts welcome.

No. 

There's a lot of footfall here at the moment but people are too distracted by the election, and planning their builds for next year. The GB area is not intuitive, the system is complicated and loads of people are unable to work out what's going on here, to judge by the folks who have asked me for help this year. People will think your idea is in this year's fight, next years calendar. (Help them with this by making your title really spell out that it's a proposal for 2024). 

Also, the longer it drags on, the more people will get bored with your idea. I'd say wait until spring or at least until after Christmas. 

This is my opinion, other opinions are available. Terms and conditions apply.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Excellent information and advice all taken on board. 👍

Here's a Precis of the GB system what I wrote. Please feel free to copy, edit and paste it onto your proposal for benefit of all.

Brand new member, @Bill1974 has bravely allowed me to talk him into joining the GB while having only a scant understanding of how the GB system runs. So for him and all of the others out there who aren't sure about this peculiar area of the forum, I'm going to try and summarise the process in as much as I understand it. Please feel free to correct my errors and omissions - undoubtedly, I don't fully understand the system either!

Gb's run in an annual cycle. The first thing is that someone has an idea for a GB. There are two types of GB. Sometimes the idea will be for a single type GB (STGB) where building a particular aircraft or tank type is the theme. I've never seen one for a car or ship or any other of the smaller genres but theoretically this could happen. STGBs are often inspired by an anniversary of the first use or a significant event like that. The other type is just called a Group Build (GB) and is based around a theme which has a wider application, such as the Entropy GB which allows ships, trains, figures, anything to be entered. 

Once someone has the great idea, they start a thread in the Group Build Chat area and try to drum up some support for it. This can take months or days depending on many things. The rules of the particular GB are thrashed out communally at this point, though we discuss rules all the time! Once the ideas man can persuade thirty members to put their names down as supporters, the GB idea is transferred to the Bunfight Area. At this point the supporters are only coming out in favour of the idea and not committing to building, though most will already be planning their builds and some will be buying their kits! The person with the idea becomes the GB's host and commits to doing most of the admin and to encouraging people throughout the entire process. A good host makes a good GB. (This is my first attempt and I'm very keen to make a good show. Fortunately @JeroenS has volunteered to be my co-host and will pick up the ball whenever I drop it.)

In November we have the fun of the Bunfight itself. This is a month-long election where the entire Britmodeller membership is invited to vote for the GBs that they want to see running in the following year. People vote for a number of GBs and separately for a number of STGBs and the vote totals are immediately displayed. People are allowed to change their votes as often as they like so there's a lot of tactical voting. Clear non-runners are pulled out by their hosts and votes get transferred. The Entropy idea has been very popular, getting into the Bunfight in only ten days and we are very likely to get a place in next years calendar. Don't forget to vote though!

Yes, there's a calendar. There is only so much time in the year and we have to limit the numbers of GBs. Without this there would be many of them with insufficient numbers to run well. Imagine if everyone gave a new year's eve party - nobody would attend and all the parties would be pants. Better to have fewer events with lots of people involved in each one. Once the calendar is published, the winning GBs' threads are transferred again. This time to the Future GB area, and there we wait and chatter about our plans, recruiting more potential builders all the time.

@Enzo Matrix is the moderator in charge of GB administration and he sorts out the running order of the GBs for the year following the bunfight. He is a wise, kind and wonderful ruler who deserves the praises of all of us. (Hi Enzo!)

There are some GBs called Blitz builds which happen over three days of a bank holiday   They are automatically added to the calendar with no need for the voting process. Some commemorative GBs may also be included in the calendar without a vote such as this year's 'Falkland's Conflict' Anniversary. Durations, like everything else, are variable and negotiable with Enzo the Magnificent being the final arbiter, as is only fitting. (Hi Enzo!)

A week before the date for the GB rolls around, the thread is again transferred this time to Current GBs and that's when the builders start to create their own threads and the party really begins.

So, what is a Group Build?

It's totally on line, there's no meeting up unfortunately.

There may be a competitive element with a poll at the end to select a winner (Not in the Entropy GB - we are a co-operative enterprise.)

Entrants are expected to run a work-in-progress thread, usually starting with a description and photos of their kit in its box.  The more you post the more people will interact with you so it's best to keep your own thread updated as often as possible, and to jump in and comment on as many others as you can manage.

Usually there is a rule that  the kits cannot be more than 25% built at the beginning, sometimes this is changed to kits must be unstarted and sometimes it's waived entirely. The Entropy GB has waived the 25% rule so that people can trash their already completed kits, in an artistic and creative fashion of course. 

Everyone looks at everyone else's builds and comments encouragingly, makes helpful suggestions, makes friends, and banters in a kind kind of way throughout. Because the GB members are a much smaller set of people than the general Britmodeller membership, and because they are working together on the theme (or type) real friendships are formed. (For me that's the greatest benefit of GB participation.)

Themed GB's have a 4 month duration. Often this is too short for some people to finish their projects which is a pity but on the other hand some fast builders will complete multiple entries. I think that STGBs are usually 3 months long. Unfinished projects can be transferred to the regular work in progress (WIP) pages and completed there.

I can't think of anything else to say but I'm sure there is more. I'll hand over to the rest of the Entropists now for their additions and corrections.

Oh yes. THE AIM OF GROUP BUILDS IS TO ENJOY THEM!     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep! As far as I’m aware that pretty-well sums it up. I think I’ll be looking to post my idea in about four or five months. Keep your eyes peeled entropy folks and be ready to sign up with extreme enthusiasm!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Yep! As far as I’m aware that pretty-well sums it up. I think I’ll be looking to post my idea in about four or five months. Keep your eyes peeled entropy folks and be ready to sign up with extreme enthusiasm!

If you think we would like your idea why not take our nominal roll and copy us all in with @Bertie McBoatface type mentions so we get personal invitations. That might raise support immediately. Once you have a few names, momentum starts to develop.

• Like 2

I'm now cautiously optimistic that our boat will fly down the road as if on rails and launch figuratively into the landscape of the GB calendar for next year. 

And if you can come up with a more inclusive mixed metaphor than that, have at it!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm now cautiously optimistic that our boat will fly down the road as if on rails and launch figuratively into the landscape of the GB calendar for next year. 

And if you can come up with a more inclusive mixed metaphor than that, have at it!

I'm almost certain that I think we have a reasonable chance of perhaps making it through, providing the wind doesn't change and we don't walk under ladders.

Fingers crossed and touch wood.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Trevor L said:

I'm almost certain that I think we have a reasonable chance of perhaps making it through, providing the wind doesn't change and we don't walk under ladders.

Fingers crossed and touch wood.

On second thoughts, I now think perhaps there is a reasonable chance that we almost certainly won't make it through.

I think I'm possibly feeling indecisive this morning, but I just can't decide.

• Haha 2