Hey! I got pointed in the direction of this GB by a friend on the site.  I hadn’t even seen it till this morning as I don’t usually hang around on the group builds. I have read through most of the thirty posts and the love for this GB grew and grew. It’s sad that Bertie had to bow out but I totally understand the situation. Kudos to @JeroenS for taking the helm. 🙌

I’ll stop blabbering and get to the point. Are you still taking on folk for this decaying behemoth of a summer challenge?   
I love this stuff!

52755061655_d3bf1063b0_n.jpg

Johnny. 🖤.  

ps. You have me thinking already. Feeding my hen this morning. (Non more chaotic than a hen) I spied a shelter I made from an old Tr-2 front end. 🧡

52755069660_c79d3cf25c_b.jpg

*best Tim the enchanter voice! “Lookay the booorrrnnnsss”  😆

• Like 6

Sorry for the flurry of excitement but I figured I’d pick through the stash and see what could be beaten to death that isn’t usually. I’m going to limit myself to what I have and not buy anything new.

I was gifted this kit and I have no real urge to build it but now!!! Now!!!! It’s turned into a bit of an obsession….. 

52755101820_7aaaab3f21_b.jpg

it’s got a flight deck and everything.

She has been sitting on EBay for two weeks. I have just removed her. 🥳

please let me in. Pretty pleeeease. 🥹

🤣Johnny rotten.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry for the flurry of excitement but I figured I’d pick through the stash and see what could be beaten to death that isn’t usually. I’m going to limit myself to what I have and not buy anything new.

I was gifted this kit and I have no real urge to build it but now!!! Now!!!! It’s turned into a bit of an obsession….. 

🤣Johnny rotten.

Hi Johnny, of course you're in! This GB of rot and decay is the most inclusive GB there is! Looking forward to your efforts 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Hi Johnny, of course you're in! This GB of rot and decay is the most inclusive GB there is! Looking forward to your efforts 🙂

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it.
I'm about to rot and grot and I think I like it!!!   Whoa, yeah!
I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
And I know, I know, I know, I know, I know I want grot I want rot!

Thankyou kind sir. Brain worm firmly fitted. Just gotta figure out if I can 3D print chains. 🤔

Johnny R

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok so I have a query. I might be really late or really early. I have two builds planned. One is a straight up build from start to finish which sits nicely within the usual parameters. The other is a little different and I just want to clear it with you first @JeroenS. I got a box of what was described as 'junk' by my brother in law. Inside the box was what I call gold. It was an assortment of models, part made, none of which I would have picked up myself. One of which is this wrecked tamiya gepard from around the mid 90's.

52755058701_5dc598946d_b.jpg

As you can see its in great shape, with zero glue marks!! I wanted to add some scratch bits to this to make it a bit mad max etc. Side shields, barbwire, spikes, dozer shield, mental camo scheme, etc. Plus I'm gonna cut it in half, put it into a dio and add a couple figs. 

As I didn't build this and this is clearly over any sort of 25% rule is it ok?

I honestly do not mind if this is out of the question as I also have the other build lined up as well anyway, just wanted to see if ok as would be adding stuff and changing it dramatically. 

Thanks

All the best for now,

Paul.

• Like 2

Hi @Muchmirth, the 25% rule does not apply to this GB so you're free to take your nicest completed model and make a project of it, as long as the end result is rot, decay, abandonment and all other conditions you can think of except "in use". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Ok so I have a query. I might be really late or really early. I have two builds planned. One is a straight up build from start to finish which sits nicely within the usual parameters. The other is a little different and I just want to clear it with you first @JeroenS. I got a box of what was described as 'junk' by my brother in law. Inside the box was what I call gold. It was an assortment of models, part made, none of which I would have picked up myself. One of which is this wrecked tamiya gepard from around the mid 90's.

52755058701_5dc598946d_b.jpg

As you can see its in great shape, with zero glue marks!! I wanted to add some scratch bits to this to make it a bit mad max etc. Side shields, barbwire, spikes, dozer shield, mental camo scheme, etc. Plus I'm gonna cut it in half, put it into a dio and add a couple figs. 

Sounds like a great project for this GB :like:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Hi @Muchmirth, the 25% rule does not apply to this GB so you're free to take your nicest completed model and make a project of it, as long as the end result is rot, decay, abandonment and all other conditions you can think of except "in use". 

Thanks Jeroen. I kinda forgot that the 25% rule had been waved… and started to doubt it’s acceptance, so thought I’d best double check…. Only around three and a bit months now!! 
Paul

• Like 1

Some more inspiration, Soviet subjects just seem to lend themselves to this kind of work:

Interesting use of Microsol being used with the hairspray chipping technique, not seen that before.

• Like 6

On 18/03/2023 at 09:22, The Spadgent said:

🤣Johnny rotten.

Your project looks very intriguing, looking forwards to see what you do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:42 AM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Please don't answer my comments if you can avoid it. I'd feel obliged to reply and I really want to get away from here. Leave me alone and go and have fun guys!

Bertie. Please don't feel under any compunction to reply.

I have not been interested in "entropy", liking things shiny on the whole: a mark of age i believe. I hadn't seen these post therefore, before searching you out when I missed your presence elsewhere. I have been missing the gentle argie-bargie. I might add that you're the only person who reacts in any way if I make a gag!

I suppose I'm posting to say something between, "tell me about it," and "...there but for the grace of God..."

That is to say you are not alone in this. I should take some time out and then come back when you next have some modelling to share. Also I should try to fit what you want to make with the GBs. By way of example I have a lovely figure of a roman admiral in ~274 AD whom I'm hoping to do in the Sea Dog GB but only if the current thing is finished on time.

I would say don't just dissappear. That would be even more extreme than where you've been!

Be good be careful

Alan

Edited by Angus Tura
cant spell my own name...

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 22:01, The Spadgent said:

Thanks. You’re not the only one. I’m still trying to formulate it in my head. 🫣🤣

Welcome to the madhouse!

I'm planning a destroyed leopard a4 that I messed up and a destroyed t-72 Ukraine style!

I've been buying up paints and powders and reading lots of ‘how to’ pdfs.  I need to get round to testing melting some parts on very hot baking tray to achieve this kind of melting and deformation......

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yip yip!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bill1974 said:

I've been buying up paints and powders and reading lots of ‘how to’ pdfs.  I need to get round to testing melting some parts on very hot baking tray to achieve this kind of melting and deformation......

That's the spirit, Bill! You may need to employ a small torch to achieve that effect, sounds like fun 🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was thinking along those lines at one point. I though about strategic placement of match heads to get the burned effect ? Especially under the turret ring and hatches.  Do one or two at a time so as to maintain control of the burns/model. 

I've been on a bit of a spending spree getting ready with a few vallejo pigment sets for rust and corrosion / soot and ashes and a few other pigments like burnt sienna and pigment binder and the army painter dry brush set and crackle medium and ak pencil weathering set for rust and streaking effects and vallejo rust texture over the last 6-7 months getting ready.  It's been quiet a preparation period.

Watching videos of how to make penetrations into armour by tank shells and machine gun identations.

Excited to get started, it seems like forever since I signed up before the strange bunfight malarkey.

• Like 2

Another idea for some intrepid modeler would be the Yacht Celt. AKA, USS Sachem, USS Phenakite, Sightseer with NYC Circle Line and finally as Circle V, before being shipped 'round-a-bout' to inland Pennsylvania in the mid 80's where she now rest, rusting and being reclaimed by nature.

spacer.png

spacer.png

During her life, she was an elegant yacht, a coastal patrol boat in WWI, a yacht again, then a submarine hunter in WWII, then a fishing yacht and then finally a sightseeing ship. There have been a couple US Presidents on board, as well as Thomas Edison and it was in two movies and a Madonna video.

https://uss-sachem.org/

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Been waiting for this for what seems like forever, a head of steam has been prepared and the whoosh of steam with angry pistons and grinding metal, destruction and decay awaits.....

• Like 3