1 minute ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I asked my psychiatrist about the voices and he said they aren't significant and I shouldn't worry about them. But then the voices told me that I don't have a psychiatrist. 

Don't tell Bertie we were here.

• Haha 6

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again to Bertie for inviting me into the Bunfight.  Not all my selections went through but some so I cannot complain.  As for the entropy build I am going with a dilapadated F-14 Tomcat pending the scrap man's torch.

Question as I have not entered one of these before.  Do we have to wait till July to start and build it before the end of October or can we start anytime? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Michael 

5 hours ago, Tomcat101 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again to Bertie for inviting me into the Bunfight.  Not all my selections went through but some so I cannot complain.  As for the entropy build I am going with a dilapadated F-14 Tomcat pending the scrap man's torch.

Question as I have not entered one of these before.  Do we have to wait till July to start and build it before the end of October or can we start anytime? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Michael 

Hi Michael, it's a long wait indeed but yes, the idea is to start on July 1st, and then you have as long as the GB runs to finish your build (or not, there's no "must" here). Usually, the GB "opens" a week before the start date so you can post your build thread, but you'll have to sit on your hands until the GB actually starts. 

• Thanks 1

Now that we are definitely on for next summer, do any of us have the ability to make a banner which could be incorporated into member's signatures if they like that sort of thing? It should be small, or it just becomes a nuisance, and include the GB title and start date. Picking an image will be the hard part!

23 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

So I'm going to change my follow preferences on this thread and only check it weakly for a while. If there's anything you want to talk about that can't wait a week, send me a PM. 

See you next week then, 

Well that was a load of cobblers, wasn't it? I can no more resist coming here than an Austin Princess can resist rust!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Now that we are definitely on for next summer, do any of us have the ability to make a banner which could be incorporated into member's signatures if they like that sort of thing? It should be small, or it just becomes a nuisance, and include the GB title and start date. Picking an image will be the hard part!

I could make something fairly basic yes, nice rusty background image with Entropy - The Rusty Wrecks Group Build written in it, something like that maybe :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So this chat thread is 26 pages, like 10 times as long as some of the other contenders..... 

How come it was such a battle to get through?! Mathematics suggests that Entropy should have BREEZED it. Or maybe we all just like a good old chat..... 

Here, why don't we abandon the vote system and just flag through the proposals with the longest chat threads 🚩😋 Wouldn't even have to resort to a system of Proportional Representation.... 

I've spent some considerable time today visualising objects in varying stages of dilapidation and decay, and wondering if you can get decal sheets of graffiti paintwork (I think I've seen suchlike in model railway settings before) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

How come it was such a battle to get through?!

It's a Marmite idea. 

Some people are so enthusiastic that they are already planning,  experimenting with new techniques, learning how to use new materials. Some of us have already entropised a couple of kits, either as individual projects or for practice.

Judging from some of the refusals to my invitations, other people hate the idea. I fall into the first category, obviously, so I only understand liking the idea and it would be presumptuous of me to guess WHY some folks don't like it. 

I believe that the 50 of us that signed up were the 50 voters, more or less. We did have one or two voters who said they weren't interested in doing it but wanted to see it done (Thanks @TonyOD) and inevitably there will be a few of the entropists who didn't vote for some reason.

I think that I managed to find and sign up just about everybody with an interest. There are 26 pages of this thread because that interest is very passionate. It will have to be because, let's face it, this style of modeling is very difficult! To paraphrase President Kennedy, we choose to rust out our models not because it is easy but because it is hard.

There was a period of a few hours on the last day of the bun fight when we were in 12th place. We only scraped in at the last moment. It seems that we are only a few, a happy few, a band of mad beggars! 🤪

The important thing is that we did win a place. Let's keep this thread rolling by posting the results of our experiments, sharing those new techniques, reviewing those new products and so on.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tomcat101 said:

Ok thanks for the clarification.  July it is. :)

There's no problem with trying out your ideas on some old kits and posting the results in full in the standard Work in Progress area or as a summary right here in this thread. 

There must be a zillion and six ways to do our thing, still undiscovered. Find them, fellow Entropists and share your discoveries! 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

posting the results of our experiments, sharing those new techniques

I'm going to try rotting aluminium foil with hydrochloric acid, if that counts?  I know this works because I do it at work with the kids; the hard bit will be getting it to rot a bit and then stop!

42 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I'm going to try rotting aluminium foil with hydrochloric acid, if that counts?  I know this works because I do it at work with the kids; the hard bit will be getting it to rot a bit and then stop!

You can also get interesting effects by burning aluminium foil. It's thin enough that a candle flame will melt it. Then use the melted and wrinkles edges to plate the edges of a hole in an airframe or whatever...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

You can also get interesting effects by burning aluminium foil. It's thin enough that a candle flame will melt it. Then use the melted and wrinkles edges to plate the edges of a hole in an airframe or whatever...

That is genius… Hoink! Did you see it that time… another idea well and truly nicked!

• Haha 1

I was looking through home made track blackening/track burnishing fluid options for metal tracks last night and seen some of the afv modellers and maritime modeller (all in USA and NZ)  use a mixture of bleach/white vinegar 50:50 ratio and was thinking of having a go a that to create some nice rust effects on metal?… either that or accidentally fumagate myself with homemade caustic fumes! Has anyone on here tried this method?

30 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

I was looking through home made track blackening/track burnishing fluid options for metal tracks last night and seen some of the afv modellers and maritime modeller (all in USA and NZ)  use a mixture of bleach/white vinegar 50:50 ratio and was thinking of having a go a that to create some nice rust effects on metal?… either that or accidentally fumagate myself with homemade caustic fumes! Has anyone on here tried this method?

CAUTION: 

Chemically speaking, bleach is a solution of sodium or calcium hypochlorite. When mixed with ANY acid, it releases highly toxic chlorine gas, one of the battlefield poison gasses of WWI.

During or immediately after exposure to dangerous concentrations of chlorine gas, the following signs and symptoms may develop:

Blurred vision

Burning pain, redness, and blisters on the skin

Burning sensation in the nose, throat, and eyes

Coughing

Chest tightness

Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Thesemay appear immediately if high concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled, or they may be delayed if low concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled.

Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) that may be delayed for a few hours

Nausea and vomiting

Watery eyes

Wheezing

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

CAUTION: 

Chemically speaking, bleach is a solution of sodium or calcium hypochlorite. When mixed with ANY acid, it releases highly toxic chlorine gas, one of the battlefield poison gasses of WWI.

It is very interesting! You can make a working model of the diorama "Attack on Ypres"😀
It will be interesting to demonstrate to neighbors in the house.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

than an Austin Princess can resist rust!

Everything made by British Leyland rusted from not only on the outside but from the inside out, I think they came with a pre-rusted option. :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

CAUTION: 

During or immediately after exposure to dangerous concentrations of chlorine gas, the following signs and symptoms may develop:

Blurred vision

Burning pain, redness, and blisters on the skin

Burning sensation in the nose, throat, and eyes

Coughing

Chest tightness

Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Thesemay appear immediately if high concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled, or they may be delayed if low concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled.

Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) that may be delayed for a few hours

Nausea and vomiting

Watery eyes

Wheezing

Yeah on the other hand probably give that a skip then…. Doesn’t sound like much of a laugh! 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MARADER said:

It is very interesting! You can make a working model of the diorama "Attack on Ypres"😀
It will be interesting to demonstrate to neighbors in the house.😂

actually this has potential! I could issue a gas mask before viewing the diorama? 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

weirdly enough in the same article someone suggested using mauritic acid which is a form of hypochloric acid!! Thinks I’d just get some burnishing fluid from ak or something! Although that comes with a load of health warning and safe use advice so must also have some pretty strong stuff in it too. 

4 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

weirdly enough in the same article someone suggested using mauritic acid which is a form of hypochloric acid!! Thinks I’d just get some burnishing fluid from ak or something! Although that comes with a load of health warning and safe use advice so must also have some pretty strong stuff in it too. 

I think that might be a better idea. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

Thinks I’d just get some burnishing fluid from ak or something! Although that comes with a load of health warning and safe use advice so must also have some pretty strong stuff in it too. 

Check what you are getting before you order it.  There are different burnishing fluids for tracks and for p/e, the stuff for p/e will not work on tracks, ask me how I know!  :doh:

• Thanks 1