A tiny proportion of the machines that we model end up preserved in museums but the vast majority end their days in scrapyards or abandoned and decaying in some forgotten location. We have all seen models of 'planes, tanks, ships rotting away in these circumstances. They get presented in the RFI forums from time to time and every time it happens, the level of interest is very high indeed. 

Would this be a good theme for a group build? Here's some reasons to consider.

It's completely inclusive. Civilian cars go rusty in scrapyards. Trains rot away in sidings. Knights in armour become archaeological digs? The worlds of Science Fiction are packed with abandoned spaceships and Mad Max scrapyard recycled vehicles. Even Real Space vehicles get abandoned when the batteries give up, though their decay may take millions of years. Have I missed a genre? Everything passes away eventually. The universe tends towards entropy, disorder and chaos.

It's equally attractive to the dedicated 'realists' who might want to replicate exactly a photograph of a particular machine, and the 'idealists' who might prefer to work from imagination. Either approach can be relatively simple or give great scope for whatever particular skills you choose to exercise.

It's great for dioramas, vignettes, bases but also for stand alone subjects.

It can be fiendishly complicated or relatively simple. You could spend a fortune on a tank interior kit for example and then 'build it' in a dismantled condition OR you could repurpose that ancient dweller on your shelf of doom and make a virtue out of necessity. The 25% rule is not applicable to this GB so feel free to get a second helping of fun from your old builds, broken builds or half finished stuff.

The logical conclusion of the dropping of the 25% rule is that you can show us your Entropy type models and dioramas that you 100% finished last week or even years ago. You can post the usual five photos in a special ‘Inspirations’ gallery as an Entropy Group Build Volunteer Reservist (EGBVR) or Eager Beaver. (You won't have a work in progress thread of course.) Everyone is welcome here with anything that fits the spirit of the GB. (This paragraph added 17/07/2022)

The Entropy theme is well supported by images on the internet. Research is easy. I've done a quick search and posted a few examples for inspiration.

It's as much of a challenge as you want it to be. The chaos of decay is much more difficult to do than the organised regularity of a new machine and it can also be little more difficult than extreme weathering.

y4mCK1dxekU6PIILRtO0LfyOMQU7EF9fQxNqq9YP

That's my kind of sandcastle, and incidentally the inspiration for this whole thing.

y4mKNzULIevvX0Gq1Sir8bHvvGL8UKPAFYbN9jTF

Not the usual airliner model.

y4mId7YmvUiux9as7I5hUlSTtkGlfO3ijjTdOKjt

Real space.

y4mNuW1gxt8oUEely1cEiuVEzxb7IVM-Bjv_Cjfk

Large scale boats. Look at those colours!

y4mJYDM4orFeHEfHyoYfv26wFzdiYEF4khm7lhz_

Armour. Yes, armour plate does rust.

y4my1L_oeob2MYE0gYHwlyryqiy7hFkURG2x4E_N

Cruise ship.

y4m318WWpvbOFipCFSevQ9Ooh_eeWqudfwgJFD5t

Trucks.

y4mUnGksRS0vLv6Of-vg6lhgL8-PbFqPBVvU4woV

Aw!

y4m5zjyAx-rdfMWkS-E1UP2D9_nv5cEMZyZhNenw

Sci fi.

y4m0CIrcYaTcrMI146wiW_AeaBFnndfGtMRBI4A4

Military ship on the way to the breakers.

y4mBN7XoH1yB-F15Nnl_sre8zIBytBj1K80TCPXy

I'm stretching it a bit but this is almost applicable to figure modelling, maybe?

y4mVz38852rtq8-3FaJJQCq2P_dQAJbSaGfRmapA

Mostly aluminium but there's still some rust!

y4mjkWcxdq2172n5zcREX-EF0nBOoTA-kPm77JYl

Classic cars.

This proposal arose from @Cerberus's most excellent build of an abandoned Sherman tank on a beach in Costa Rica

where it's already created interest in the minds of @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Longbow and me. 

Would anyone else like to support the idea? Check your stocks of orange paint and put your name down today!

The Entropists Assemble!

~~~~

1. @Bertie Psmith(Host)
  2. @Longbow
  3. @Bonhoff
  4. @Cerberus
  5. @desert falcon
  6. @Moggy
  7. @Stef N.
  8. @Jasper dog
  9. @Corsairfoxfouruncle
  10. @Retired Bob
  11. @APA
  12. @ColonelKrypton
  13. @Marklo
  14. @JeroenS(Co-host)
  15. @Adam Poultney
  16. @Bobby No Mac
  17. @Robert Stuart
  18. @jackroadkill
  19. @Alan P
  20. @Andy Dyck
  21. @PlaStix
  22. @Paul J
  23. @IanC
  24. @Muchmirth
  25. @arfa1983
  26. @rob Lyttle
  27. @Max Headroom
  28. @Caerbannog
  29. @Mig Eater
  30. @Geo1966
  31. @Kelscale
  32. @THEscaleSHOW
  33. @psdavidson
  34. @Back in the Saddle
  35. @Thom216
  36. @NAVY870
  37. @ErikT
  38. @Mjwomack
  39. @tiking
  40. @Dermo245
  41. @Colin W
  42. @PeterB
  43. @Mark Cassidy
  44. @Bill1974
  45. @AdrianMF
  46. @MARADER
  47. @Matt P
  48. @Tomcat101
  49. @Trevor L
  50. @Big Scuffer Al
  51. Your name here?

~~~~

• Like 13

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Rusting, Rotting, Wrecks and Relics - The Entropy Group Build
29 minutes ago, Longbow said:

You were struggling to find figure references, for the GB ?

The Battle of Visby would suit your requirements :D

That's the very thing I was trying to remember! 

On the other hand, scrapyard workers are figures, aren't they?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to The Entropy Group Build - Rusting Wrecks and Relics
5 hours ago, Longbow said:

Please count me in, Mr. Smith !!

5 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Ditto!

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Count me in Bertie, I fancy a nice little barn find build :thumbsup:

1,2,3! Just like that, our waggon rolls!

• Haha 3

Just now, Moggy said:

I might - although I've never done a wreck. I keep my models in a "slightly used" subtle patina.

Cheers, Moggy

All the more reason to try something new with something cheap and cheerful, perhaps. All you need do is add 'Un-' in large letters to "subtle patina". 😀

Can I add your name to the list of supporters? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a very interesting idea Bertie, surely there would be many interesting subjects to follow in such a GB! 

Have some old model railway passenger wagons which are partially broken (roof, glass, etc.) in 1/87 H0 scale. For a while I’ve been thinking of doing some sort of a diorama with these being abandoned on a dead railway line. Not necessarily being parked there forever, just a couple of years, while waiting for the final journey to the scrap yard. Obviously being full of graffiti and sourronded by wild vegetation and some sort of an old building in the background no longer being used … 

Something in the line of this

BtoZye2.jpg

ktGiO7D.jpg

And 0f course this guy had better times too, he is parked not far from where we live 😪

whnT11X.jpg

Would something like that work for this GB you think? 

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Sounds like a very interesting idea Bertie, surely there would be many interesting subjects to follow in such a GB! 

whnT11X.jpg

Would something like that work for this GB you think? 

Cheers

Johnny b 

They would be absolutely wonderful Johnny. There's a sadness and a beauty in a machine's old age and these trains capture it perfectly.

Shall I add your name?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

All the more reason to try something new with something cheap and cheerful, perhaps. All you need do is add 'Un-' in large letters to "subtle patina". 😀

Can I add your name to the list of supporters? 

OK - I shall have to find an aircraft kit I'm not happy with 😜

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Oi Buggerlugs, are you suggesting I've entropyied or perhaps a relic of some description??:fight:

Go on then Bertie most of my builds look like that anyway!

Could even try something Sci-fi!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Count me in too Bertie. A lot of different techniques that I would like to try out and this would be the perfect way. 

Splendid! I'll add you to the list right away.

I've been looking at some techniques videos on YouTube today - there are many!

I have a side interest in fantasy figures and searched for 'Blanchitsu' and 'grimdark' which aren't exactly about rusting relics as we have discussed so far, but rather the rusting relic of a universe consumed by war. I'm aiming for inclusivity and that's another way in for figure painters.

y4mwsNKTS5qdASFF9bHnNiVLKMtaun8ydzKQhuRJ

Irrespective of context, the techniques used in that genre are easily transferable to scale models of all kinds.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Oi Buggerlugs, are you suggesting I've entropyied or perhaps a relic of some description??:fight:

Go on then Bertie most of my builds look like that anyway!

Could even try something Sci-fi!

I think that's what attracts me to this particular area; I have sympathetic feelings towards the old and decaying every time I look in a mirror.

I've added your name already and I'd personally love to see you do some some sci-fi. There was a crashed spaceship at Telford about ten years ago which was absolutely breathtaking. It had taken the breath of the pilot too, to judge by the broken faceplate. 

• Thanks 1

When this incredibly popular GB is running, I won't have the time for a lot of building of my own so I'll be reworking this monster of a tank.

y4mxmyjyn79op0Ak0xyQ5HlZl79hTxSWwGQdCd9L

It's an A-39 Tortoise and ended its days on a range in Scotland (I think) as a rather large target. For me it's just a huge canvas to play painter on.

And that reminds me, clearly The 25% rule is not applicable to the GB so feel free to get a second helping of fun from your old or half finished stuff. I'll add that to the first post in a mo.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's an A-39 Tortoise and ended its days on a range in Scotland (I think) as a rather large target.

There's some very nice pictures online of this A-39 range wreck, I will hunt them down later and post them in here ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1