Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 1/72 Special Hobby

Hello fellow modellers,

this is my attempt at the recent SH kit I commissioned for the upcoming reprint of Valiant Wings title.

Built mostly OOB, I added etched seat belts and brass barrels. Overall, I was quite happy with the kit although its somehow 'overengineered' nature did not promise an easy build - eventually, it was not the case and the kit went together fairly well.

She was mount of G.Schöpfel of JG26 who shot down a quartet of Hurricanes within couple of minutes over Canterbury in August 1940.

Cheers

Libor

51926859015_9bf02a4638_o.jpg

51926318508_6dc956cf64_o.jpg

51925253612_80d9e7aeb1_o.jpg

51926859660_b10c94806a_o.jpg

• Like 52

Wow, this has come out very well indeed.  I'm a big fan of this scheme and have built an Airfix 1/48 version, and the SH kit is in my stash awaiting some love.  If I can do as good a job on mine as you have on yours I'll be well happy.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GRK said:

Really nice, intrigued by the yellow pennant on the aerial-haven’t seen this before. Do you know what it was for?

I agree this turns out wonderful. Seems to be a top kit, built by a master modeler. The yellow triangle behind the mast was the leaders pennant, and I believe it was a metal part. So it was no stuff wich was flying in the wind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andy Dyck said:

The yellow triangle behind the mast was the leaders pennant, and I believe it was a metal part. So it was no stuff wich was flying in the wind. 

Thanks for pointing this out! The pennant decal bent a bit after its application, but I let it be in order not to destroy it. Anyway, a replacement from a thin plastic or paper would be easy. The period pictures confirm it was a firm material.

Cheers

Libor