Matchbox Porsche 935 Martini

This is an extended set of photos from the Matchbox 50th anniversary group build.  I'd have preferred one of the other car subjects, but it was one of the last car kits that no-one had picked and I wanted to help fill out the range of kits built.  The kit I had came from eBay and the multi-part body was partially assembled (wonky but I managed to mostly correct it).  The decal sheet was absent but I bought a decal sheet from Indycals in the USA, these weren't an exact match for the originals as I think they were scaled down from decals to fit a kit of a slightly different 935.  You can (or, at least, I can) spot where some splicing was required and places where the decal didn't quite want to go where I wanted it.

The kit itself is very nicely moulded with no flash and what seems like a good level of detail.  Fit was quite good although some holes needed opening up and the mating surfaces for parts could be very small.  Probably the worst part to build was the front suspension, which is very fine and very fiddly.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

y4mJKJMiS6oxhgxcdEXXUTd8-3VmMviHEDueBWcD

Tyre lettering was picked out first in white paint, then with matt yellow.

y4m0lf8fNefOrCFiCgf5SxkpZCIkfn2l6RwnYhTs

The side stripes are made of three separate pieces, this side was the second one I did and turned out slightly better as a result.

y4mY4jiAZ-840ODo2bOiqon9EYYMl7zVKP_RlJUl

I found some Humbrol number 15 Midnight Blue as a good match for the Martini dark blue.  This was used on the wheels, headlamp surrounds, wing end plates (the original kit decals included the background, but the replacements do not) and even touched up a few gaps in the decals.

y4mQGKGHJGOm0CYQslnN5sKmkI11_mLBi-QutK3M

The multi-part body caused some problems with bits breaking off, you can see one of the cracks here.

y4mzhnRGqnOktkOaSSu7Xew6kU1iBXfuv9QkM6-A

This is probably the best view of the modification made to the stripes to fit the NACA ducts.

y4ma9VU0iezUdjHV6IjIfHPJYU7be4xXUxPufg-g

The engine looks a little crude here but could probably be detailed up.

y4meETLZPANqPLIFr6QTL58YJVNhx-wW83DtmxRK

The engine looks a bit better from underneath, I added the ribbing to the transaxle as I didn't like the look of the plain moulding.  I'm pleased that at least one of the exhaust pipes lines up, the other (wastgate?) pipe was a nightmare that only fitted where it touched a couple of other parts.  It would probably be better to cut out the tail pipes from the bumper and fit some tubes to the ends of the exhaust system.

y4mIMsYW7zuvKEcdRivANuOcf37r4obiq_Ptn7eq

You can't see much of the interior as it's mostly black, but I went for Tamiya NATO black for the seat to provide a little variety, a touch of light brown for the gear lever knob.  It looks like the clear coat reacted with the decals slightly but only at the top of the bonnet/boot lid.

Despite the issues, it has to be said that this built up into quite a satisfying little model.

• Like 20

Well done! Great model of a race car that had a long and successful career, not only with the factory but with many privateers.  BTW. it's very hard to tell where you spliced the decals.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

Wondered where you'd disappeared to. Good job with this, it doesn't look 1:32. And particularly well done for dealing so well with the 'wrong' size decals.

Slightly odd to think that this is the sort of car which was racing when I was born though 😬

• Thanks 1