Hobby Boss 1/35 Jackal 1 (Actually a 2)

Hi, everyone, now Tim has forced me to confront my slight phobia of desert vehicles (see my Warrior build), caused in not a small part my serving in Afghanistan, I've taken the plunge and  got the Hobby Boss Jackal 1 as a birthday present to myself. I actually have driven one of these for a cabby around the back of the airfield in Bastion.

They say it is a 1 but is is actually 2 - to confuse matters even more they have released a Jackal 2 which is actually a 1!

y4mZAVvb6ykc5NYeLMez-FgEaVYDveN8aHDngue2

Now, I'm starting this WIP on day two.  I hadn't intended to do a WIP but Tim is missing his daily fix of britmodeller so I said I'll start one.

On first look the moulding is crisp with little flash.  It comes with six PE frets, clear parts and vinyl tyres.  The tyres are OKish.  No real detail and not a great fit.  I did look for the DEF sagged resin wheels but they are like rocking horse poo and the one place I could find them wanted £20, which is a bit rich for me.  Some things a wrong however.  They have the front winch but haven't even moulded a cable for it and the spare tyre doesn't have a cover, which it does on the actual vehicle.  I'll probably find more as I go along and scratch my way around them.

I must admit I'm not enjoying the build.   It's nicely details but every part with a hole needs drilling out as the holes taper through the part so the pin that is meant to go through them doesn't fit.  This was an utter pain doing the suspension as I didn't realise until the first parts were glued in.  My only other Hobby Boss build was their Boxer and I don't remember it being this much of a pain, and I was expecting better as this is a new tool.

Note the parts 10 

y4mLdQdLgUfVqhZaxWPOQEBC7psR4bdfztcM2LZq

y4mf9qLe0Q5tgXohN3nBi6qvGs0d2Mco6Ng0fXKY

The suspension was designed by a sadist.  It was one of those build where you actually need about five pairs of hands but I managed it in the end.  Once I enlarged the holes!

End of day 2

y4mOr1QRecTcgexELQ5MldhD1nCfJcKWa2cnKwHD

y4mFH5KbeS9giDsT5tu2ASqo7r9KA8ZIuuVP6KCJ

y4m8XAyKQlmOk3LSMEUbmsJ3D0-TAtAlbAFfWonG

y4mUJR-1fZvUPoJkwdYcWAO6Zj5CkqhBfbmWIztY

None of the interior nor the front is glued in so I can remove to paint, but plenty of detail although our old nemesis visible pin marks has raised it's head again. 

That's it for today.

Bill

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

They say it is a 1 but is is actually 2 - to confuse matters even more they have released a Jackal 2 which is actually a 1!

Made me chuckle so much, they almost got it right then... :rofl:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Made me chuckle so much, they almost got it right then... :rofl:

I know - completely barking. Maybe one day they'll quietly swop them to even more confusion. 

Edited by Big_Bad_Bill
  • Haha 1

Are the seats glued in yet? If not, may I suggest replacing those moulded in seatbelts with something, anything a bit more three dimensional.

What are they like to drive? I'd personally love one for driving around town, though I suspect not so much fun on the motorway. 😄

12 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Are the seats glued in yet? If not, may I suggest replacing those moulded in seatbelts with something, anything a bit more three dimensional.

What are they like to drive? I'd personally love one for driving around town, though I suspect not so much fun on the motorway. 😄

No, not.glued in yet. Good suggestion, I'll have a ponder.

Incredible fun to drive. Admittedly we weren't fully loaded with arms and ammo as we were on a benign area (or was at the time). So much power and will go anywhere. I thought a Landrover Defender was good cross country but this left it in the shade   To prove its ability we approached a 70% ish bank and just climbed it from a standing start. Autocar did a review which I'm using for reference photos: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/supacat-hmt400-jackal-driven

• Like 1

This kit is a slog.  Every step just seems to awkward and takes three times longer than it should.

y4muXluvnZ5kKw5knA6Cr_rpND7IHRxpH-L9fePF

Front bottom done.  I've still to turn the indicators orange and maskol the lights ready for spraying.  I had to use thread for the winch rope and make a hook from plastic card.

Pinging pin marks!

y4mb24KsW-LMoe2MjbRU2aQeChtcfEn8t4pxeOiT

Nothing is glued in yet, but on a trial fit of the rear doors they don't open fully like the real thing which can be locked open.

y4mSFAt6PUMdfPHXB-XpO9X-h5mR6pw0PRa60-j6

At least the rifle racks fit a rifle (left over from the Academy Warrior.  I'm trying to remember when the new front guard and ACOG came out and whether it is actually wrong to use this one.  They weren't standard issue back then and we received them for pre-deployment training and hand to hand back after deployment so I'm not sure when they started being issued.

y4mrV2ClhbDnKqRBS8De071vlqqYg1yom_FKs-KJ

I'm certain that on the one I drove the racks were the standard spring loaded ones mounted vertically as I remember thinking it was odd that the barrel stuck out over the top of the door.

I've not got around to grinding off and replacing the seatbelts yet

Edited by Big_Bad_Bill
  • Like 6

On 3/13/2022 at 5:46 PM, Big_Bad_Bill said:

At least the rifle racks fit a rifle (left over from the Academy Warrior.  I'm trying to remember when the new front guard and ACOG came out and whether it is actually wrong to use this one.  They weren't standard issue back then and we received them for pre-deployment training and hand to hand back after deployment so I'm not sure when they started being issued.

I'm certain that on the one I drove the racks were the standard spring loaded ones mounted vertically as I remember thinking it was odd that the barrel stuck out over the top of the door

Bill, quad rail handguards and/or acog's became TES fit 2005/6 depending on unit, Jackal 2 came into service around 2007

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Bill, quad rail handguards and/or acog's became TES fit 2005/6 depending on unit, Jackal 2 came into service around 2007

In 2008 I don’t recall the Jackal being in theatre until late into H8. We used the MV, the predecessor to the Jackal in 08, then in 10 had the Jackal 1 & 2. PF were the first to get hold of the Jackal in 08 if my mind serves me correctly, the 2 came along shortly after. I maybe wrong though 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Cheers Neil, somehow I knew you would know   spotter. 😉 Now I have to decide whether to leave them off or try and buy some with quad rails and ACOG.  I think I may just leave them off as they wouldn't be in the rack without the crew and I'm not attempting MTP on my first figures.

22 minutes ago, 45DegreesModelling said:

In 2008 I don’t recall the Jackal being in theatre until late into H8. We used the MV, the predecessor to the Jackal in 08, then in 10 had the Jackal 1 & 2. PF were the first to get hold of the Jackal in 08 if my mind serves me correctly, the 2 came along shortly after. I maybe wrong though 🤷‍♂️

Cheers.  Either way the green handguard and SUSAT wold be wrong.

I was out there early '11 (H13?) with 16X as the lead.

As it happens I found a happy snap of the one I had a cabby in.

y4m4L6HCXXZiEIfpZkbNQ3Oq8_EMnMyoDVMW8g4T

I'm not sure if the rest of them are still serving so thought best to obscure their faces.  Note the bright blue winch cable and bright yellow hook that Hobby Boss didn't notice.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

I'm not sure if the rest of them are still serving so thought best to obscure their faces.  Note the bright blue winch cable and bright yellow hook that Hobby Boss didn't notice.

Early issue MTP,  guaranteed to fade within 3 wash' es in KBR's nuclear temp washing machines.

H16 was early 12 so yours was more likely H14

• Thanks 1

Early issue MTP,  guaranteed to fade within 3 wash' es in KBR's nuclear temp washing machines.

H16 was early 12 so yours was more likely H14

Ta. You're not wrong. Put the CS95 MTP against PCS and it looks almost white.

• 3 months later...
On 14/03/2022 at 22:30, Big_Bad_Bill said:

Cheers.  Either way the green handguard and SUSAT wold be wrong.

I was out there early '11 (H13?) with 16X as the lead.

As it happens I found a happy snap of the one I had a cabby in.

Does anyone know what the curved bar is used for that rotates just behind drivers head to his right? It's not on the kit it's not on some real vehicles but is on the coyotes I'm building both kits just now the coyote is great but parts abitty more tight n meed trimmed to the jackel 2 as they called it jackel 1 kit lol the hub caps on the coyotes wheels aren't are good detail either very shallow compared to the jackel kit's 

On 13/03/2022 at 17:46, Big_Bad_Bill said:

This kit is a slog.  Every step just seems to awkward and takes three times longer than it should.

y4muXluvnZ5kKw5knA6Cr_rpND7IHRxpH-L9fePF

Front bottom done.  I've still to turn the indicators orange and maskol the lights ready for spraying.  I had to use thread for the winch rope and make a hook from plastic card.

Pinging pin marks!

y4mb24KsW-LMoe2MjbRU2aQeChtcfEn8t4pxeOiT

Nothing is glued in yet, but on a trial fit of the rear doors they don't open fully like the real thing which can be locked open.

y4mSFAt6PUMdfPHXB-XpO9X-h5mR6pw0PRa60-j6

I'm certain that on the one I drove the racks were the standard spring loaded ones mounted vertically as I remember thinking it was odd that the barrel stuck out over the top of the door.

I've not got around to grinding off and replacing the seatbelts yet

I've just finished mine I had alot scratch building to to do and relocation of parts n adding the cables tarps some net bags from masking tape etc the water cans are US type not British so watch out for this luckly I had Geckos new wimik with them I casted a load off as even though the US ones are preferred by the British there's just no sign of them being stored on any jackels I've seen! I'm building the new TSV coyote now it's stunning few wee issues of fitting to new Hull with suspension being tighter to fit but easy to get it fitted wee trim n sand here n there! I got Gecko models figures and weapons and bags set you get tonnes of goodness for £15 everything fits in door racks etc the coyote needs to be lacked out however for the ammo boxes I've noticed you don't get enough side's for all the Granade ammo boxes to be able use them all so there's about 6 to 8 just non usable from both kits! I don't know how to post my builds here I'd love to show you what I've done! My jackel 2 is almost finished just finer detail painting the fire extinguishers I'm trying to find pics off as no decals for them unfortunately out that massive decal sheet!

11 hours ago, Modeler8522 said:

Does anyone know what the curved bar is used for that rotates just behind drivers head to his right? It's not on the kit it's not on some real vehicles but is on the coyotes I'm building both kits just now the coyote is great but parts abitty more tight n meed trimmed to the jackel 2 as they called it jackel 1 kit lol the hub caps on the coyotes wheels aren't are good detail either very shallow compared to the jackel kit's 

I've wondered that myself - it looks really handy for handing the solar shower from.  Maybe @Das Abteilung may know?

11 hours ago, Modeler8522 said:

I've just finished mine I had alot scratch building to to do and relocation of parts n adding the cables tarps some net bags from masking tape etc the water cans are US type not British so watch out for this luckly I had Geckos new wimik with them I casted a load off as even though the US ones are preferred by the British there's just no sign of them being stored on any jackels I've seen! I'm building the new TSV coyote now it's stunning few wee issues of fitting to new Hull with suspension being tighter to fit but easy to get it fitted wee trim n sand here n there! I got Gecko models figures and weapons and bags set you get tonnes of goodness for £15 everything fits in door racks etc the coyote needs to be lacked out however for the ammo boxes I've noticed you don't get enough side's for all the Granade ammo boxes to be able use them all so there's about 6 to 8 just non usable from both kits! I don't know how to post my builds here I'd love to show you what I've done! My jackel 2 is almost finished just finer detail painting the fire extinguishers I'm trying to find pics off as no decals for them unfortunately out that massive decal sheet!

Mine is still stalled - I got side-lined by the BMTP and the Mark IV tadpole paint job.  It was such a slog I need to summon some enthusiasm to finish the painting.  I've done some tape baskets, and plan to add some tissue paper and PVA covers.  The water jerrycans on mine are definitely British ones - although they are missing the second smaller cap on the other side.

As for posting, there is a thread in the FAQs.  Why not start your own WIP?

The only model I can remember that had decals for the fire extinguishers was the Meng Warrior.  I long ago gave up trying to find any and made my own.  If you print out the design on normal paper, give it four coats of varnish, you can soak the back, gently scrap off the excess paper once it softens and use decal fix to attach.  I've made green and red for which era I'm doing.  Here's one on my Academy 510.  

y4mEHaV6Iikf2Us2_nGA-GqTkVwlBqmQE5bHe56i

Bill

• Like 1