M4A3 HVSS 105 - The Culebra Beach Wreck

8 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Why can't you starve in the desert ?...

'Cos of all the SANDwiches there... 

What do you get if you cross a pig and a witch, with some sand? - A ham sandwich... ;)

I've actually gone and bought a new compressor, a cheap n cheerful one this time, runs hotter than the surface of the sun, you could heat your whole house with it lol, but we can work round that, and I've actually done some airbrush work, I'm getting a bit tired of stipple painting, nothing too colourful as yet, so don't get too excited, just some suspension/wheels work, that kinda thing.

;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

What do you get if you cross a pig and a witch, with some sand? - A ham sandwich... ;)

I've actually gone and bought a new compressor, a cheap n cheerful one this time, runs hotter than the surface of the sun, you could heat your whole house with it lol, but we can work round that, and I've actually done some airbrush work, I'm getting a bit tired of stipple painting, nothing too colourful as yet, so don't get too excited, just some suspension/wheels work, that kinda thing.

;)

I have a 10 inch box fan next to mine to keep it cool. Ive never had it overheat since I started using it. If you cant find the box fan a couple of computer fans one on either side would probably work ? 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2022 at 18:05, Bertie Psmith said:

Didn't you blow up the last one?

Yep, I fired it up a while back, I had a sneaky feeling that I might need it soon, it ran for about 10 mins then snapped the pump shaft, It was a fairly good one, mainly because it had a very large tank on it, so it could run an airbrush in relative peach and quiet for a bit before the pump kicked in again.

On 24/05/2022 at 18:34, Pig of the Week said:

You could always try an "environment friendly" compressor solution, ie a footpump set up, say operated by the Mrs.. You can tell her it's great aerobic exercise ( if you've got any kids you could hook them up to it too.. )

We joke, but the worlds gone crazy, so you just give it a few more years, compressors will be banned and we'll all be back to large air tanks and foot pumps, then they'll ban airbrushes because one woke tulip accidentally shot thinners in their eye, or some such nonsense... 🤣

On 24/05/2022 at 19:20, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a 10 inch box fan next to mine to keep it cool. Ive never had it overheat since I started using it. If you cant find the box fan a couple of computer fans one on either side would probably work ? 

That is my exact plan yes, I'm gonna run a cold air blower next to it, and hopefully that will cool things down a bit ;)

This thing below is the mini monster that I bought, It's a Badger BA1000, and to be fair the build quality seems to be fairly high, it's well made at least, it has a moisture trap and a pressure gauge that actually seems to work, it holds pressure, it has two silly airbrush holders, it's painted black, and it makes more noise than a little angry yappy dog, what more could you want? Well, to answer that, maybe some larger fins on the pump housing casing to dissipate heat better, but anyway, it's cheap n cheerful and will do the job for now, I will test it to destruction...

Badger%20BA1000.jpg

How about a live version of the last song, let's call this the compressor song, my cute little new compressor will be listening to this quite a lot, whether it likes it or not, and if you have a decent PC rig with a good sound chip and some good speakers, then this is well worth a listen, but if you're on a lap top, then probably best not to bother.

When the sax kicks at 6:00, it's like listening to the planets talking to each other, close encounters of the third kind, and when the drummer kicks at 9:45, all hell breaks loose...

Edited by Cerberus
Update
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

large air tanks and foot pumps

my first airbrush (Humbrol external mix suction fed rubbish) was powered by a lorry tyre under my bed. Rolling it downstairs one day to fill it at the garage, it got away, knocked a gas fire off the wall and nearly smashed the front door down. I don’t remember it after that…

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

a couple of computer fans

One of my other hobbies, plastic models are not the only things that get built on my bench, every now again all my model making gear gets packed away into large plastic boxes, and then all hell breaks loose on my latest favourite PC case purchase, and things tend to get adjusted somewhat, which normally involves a Dremel with a circular cutting blade and a god awful amount of mess, mostly with the intention of aiming for better airflow through the case, but the PC mods have taken a back seat of late because graphics card prices have gone insane (again) It's a bit hard to get interested in building PC's at the moment.

Front%20Panel%20Mod.jpg

And people wonder why it takes me so long to get anything done with the old model making nonsense, I have far too many hobbies, that's my problem I think, all fighting for limited time, well, that and the fact that I'm lazy, drink far too much tea, and waste far too much time listening to music, and doing silly build logs, but sometimes I just get bored with messing around with plastic kits, and then I just go do something else for a few months, or years, lol

;)

Edited by Cerberus
Because, I like writing stuff in the edit box :)
  • Like 2

That was my first compressor and it was a good little workhorse. It will do you a good service. My only tip is to get some plumbers tape for the hose joint. 👍

Thanks for the War On Drugs too.

• Thanks 1

Other hobbies eh, you build computers? you're cleverer than wot I am for sure :)

I tend to go for things with big parts for sossidge fingers, like elderly cars, ie a morris minor that needs putting together again ! I've been butchering guitars a bit recently too...

The new compressor looks good anyway, would it be worthwhile attaching an improvised receiver tank to it, you could turn the infernal thing off for a bit then ?

• Like 1

Hi Matt. Just been catching up with this thread and I have to say, if you pull this one off, it'll be stunning (and different). So far, it's looking spot on. You've really captured the rusty hulk look.

John.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I'm lazy

Really? I see a lot of work being done...

13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I just go do something else for a few months, or years,

...and that sounds like a prediction. 

Maybe you are averse to finishing things? A lot of us are.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stef N. said:

That was my first compressor and it was a good little workhorse. It will do you a good service. My only tip is to get some plumbers tape for the hose joint. 👍

I did check a few buyer reviews online before I bought it, but I value your opinion far greater than the random bots on the internet, so thanks for this, I shall remember that the hose joint might need tape in the future ;)

And to be fair to little cutie, which is my new name for this Badger compressor, It is well made, seems to have high build quality, will be more than fine for what I need at the moment.

12 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

would it be worthwhile attaching an improvised receiver tank to it, you could turn the infernal thing off for a bit then ?

I was thinking the same thing, hook it up to a bigger tank, maybe a future project, is there a compressor building section on here? Could end badly, with lots of this... :frantic:

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Matt. Just been catching up with this thread

Hello John, thank you for the kind words, hope you are well and good, It's nice to see you back on the forum :)

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Really? I see a lot of work being done...

If I had to describe myself as a model maker then I would say I'm lazy yes, but lazy used in a good way, slightly positive maybe, lazy can be good I suppose sometimes, makes you take a step back and think about things.

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

...and that sounds like a prediction. 

Don't worry, I was just waffling about hobbies n stuff, I have every intention of finishing this, I'm intrigued to see what it ends up looking like, and I'm still having lots of fun with this whole rusty wreck thing, It's something different, there's still plenty of fuel in the tank yet ;)

8 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Maybe you are averse to finishing things? A lot of us are.

Finished? I don't know, maybe you just gotta be fuel efficient, run at 55 for a while, and save some for the end, maybe?

I don't know much about model making, but I know one thing, once you start running on fumes, It's game over, you might as well just go do something else. 

Matt

;)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I was thinking the same thing, hook it up to a bigger tank, maybe a future project, is there a compressor building section on here? Could end badly, with lots of this... :frantic:

Many years ago I made a tank for a mate's compressor, we used an old fire extinguisher and I simply welded a couple of bits of tubing into it as an inlet and outlet as I recall.... no doubt the wokesters will say its "terribly dangerous" etc etc 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

we used an old fire extinguisher and I simply welded a couple of bits of tubing into it as an inlet and outlet as I recall....

Welding, that's a skill that I always regret never learning how to do, I think being able to weld is a lot more useful than being able to build a PC to be honest ;)

22 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

= efficient. 👍🏻

So when I fail miserably to get an update out this week, which is looking highly likely to be honest, I can just blame it on extreme efficiency :D

I'm working on the wheels/tyres and suspension at the moment, it's all going back on now whether it likes it or not, but it's taking longer than I expected, mostly still messing around with those separately moulded tyres and going round and round in circles with tyre colour, NATO black, with a thin black wash seems to be where I've ended up...

;) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Welding, that's a skill that I always regret never learning how to do, I think being able to weld is a lot more useful than being able to build a PC to be honest ;)

So when I fail miserably to get an update out this week, which is looking highly likely to be honest, I can just blame it on extreme efficiency :D

I'm working on the wheels/tyres and suspension at the moment, it's all going back on now whether it likes it or not, but it's taking longer than I expected, mostly still messing around with those separately moulded tyres and going round and round in circles with tyre colour, NATO black, with a thin black wash seems to be where I've ended up...

;) 

My father tried to teach me how to weld when I was trying to restore an old Beetle. He was a terrible teacher (to him you just "did it" because he'd been doing it for 40+ years and it was a tacit, unteachable skill by then), and I was a terrible pupil (I hate not being able to do things) so it didn't go very well. I got a spark of weld in my ear, I could HEAR the sizzling flesh in my ear as it burned and I was yelping in pain, he laughed and said "welcome to welding". I'd stick to building PCs, you get the odd nasty cut from a sharp case edge, but you never get to hear your own flesh being burned :)

Tyres on an old rusty wreck by the shore will be interesting. I'd expect them to be a bleached-out grey under the sun, but then black when they're wet.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Ned said:

He was a terrible teacher (to him you just "did it" because he'd been doing it for 40+ years and it was a tacit, unteachable skill by then)

He sounds like the joiner I used to work with when I was an apprentice, very old school, throw you in at the deep end, and see if you sink or swim, "either do a job properly, or don't do it at all." he would say quite a lot, learn through your mistakes, while the they laugh at your mistakes, it was a different world back then, a better world maybe? though I tended to regard him as a good teacher, I kinda like old school ;)

17 hours ago, Ned said:

laughed and said "welcome to welding"

🤣

17 hours ago, Ned said:

I'd expect them to be a bleached-out grey under the sun, but then black when they're wet.

That's exactly what the pictures show yes, grey when stood in the sun, black when sitting in the water, I've gone in the middle because I can't decide whether to put this in water or on a dry beach, I kinda figure that I can adjust things later maybe...

Matt

• Like 1

I was planning to get an update in this week, but that's not gonna happen now, I've been far too lazy/efficient this week doing the suspension and wheels, or at least making a start anyway, trying to get stuff painted and ready to put back on, I missed my deadline by a country mile, or two, but still, there are now far less sticky things stuck in the sticky things holder, due to things that were stuck on sticks having been glued to other things that were also on sticks, It's slow progress, but it's progress, that's the main thing, and if you plan on doing a rusty wreck, then don't do a HVSS Sherman, far too many wheels, it can get a bit tedious to be honest, especially if you have separately moulded tyres in the mix as well.

M4A3%20HVSS%20105%20Flamenco%20Beach%20S 

Maybe next week there will be wheels on my wagon again, who knows...

Matt

;)

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I was planning to get an update in this week, but that's not gonna happen now,

What an interesting way to introduce your update Matt. Very creative writing.

Yep sometimes things go slowly but they wheels is still rollin' along. 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

your update

I just thought it might be wise to post a picture that shows I'm still working on this, and still very much interested in getting it done, after all my waffle about other hobbies and running on fumes n stuff like that, which might give folks the wrong idea.

And on a slightly unrelated note, the Modelling News have just announced that Takom are doing a 1/16th Willys Jeep, which I think is damn good news, because it will make for a very good barn find/rusty wreck/abandoned thing vignette in my humble opinion, they are saying that it's due out in September, so we now have a sort of finish deadline for this build maybe, because I'll be getting one as soon as I can, hopefully, I quite fancy a barn find Willys Jeep in 1/16th scale :D

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2022/05/beep-beep-whos-got-keys-to-my-16th.html#more

Matt

;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

I just thought it might be wise to post a picture that shows I'm still working on this, and still very much interested in getting it done, after all my waffle about other hobbies and running on fumes n stuff like that, which might give folks the wrong idea.

And on a slightly unrelated note, the Modelling News have just announced that Takom are doing a 1/16th Willys Jeep, which I think is damn good news, because it will make for a very good barn find/rusty wreck/abandoned thing vignette in my humble opinion, they are saying that it's due out in September, so we now have a sort of finish deadline for this build maybe, because I'll be getting one as soon as I can, hopefully, I quite fancy a barn find Willys Jeep in 1/16th scale :D

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2022/05/beep-beep-whos-got-keys-to-my-16th.html#more

Matt

;)

I think it looks great. It's being released with Andy's Hobby headquarters. He's also done a 1/16 Sherman.

Sneek peek at the start of this video:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StuartH said:

I think it looks great. It's being released with Andy's Hobby headquarters. He's also done a 1/16 Sherman.

Thankyou for that Stuart, I agree, it looks good, I watched his video on the 1/16th M4A3E8 that he's doing in collaboration with Takom, so yeah a 1/16th Willys Jeep makes perfect sense to launch at the same time, I've always liked Andy's Hobby Headquarters, he has a huge amount of enthusiasm for model making, an incurable positive attitude, which makes him a damn good bloke in my book, "Go big, or go home." made me smile ;)

A 1/16th Easy Eight is very tempting indeed, but it does kinda depend on the price tag, which might also be "Go big, or go home" 🤣

We shall see 

Matt

• Like 1