M4A3 HVSS 105 - The Culebra Beach Wreck

Still Living By The Sea

My lazy carefree, whatever, whenever sorta mood continues it would seem, I did maybe think that doing the suspension and wheels might knock me out of my chilled out lazy mood, but no such luck, even after putting the wheels on, and taking them off again for about the fourth time, basically going round and round in circles with two of the wheels that I really couldn't decide whether I liked or not, it doesn't really matter all that much, as I'm still using artistic license like it's going out of fashion (which it is) But I should really pat myself on the back for a change, I've successfully completed another modelling related task, and that doesn't happen all that often these days, so make the most of it.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Damaged%20Wheels.jpg

Picture above, this is what the suspension and wheels looked like back on page...whatever, at the time, I just threw the wheels on wherever I could, and as quickly as I could, just for a quick picture, and the other side was only partially done if I remember correctly, so it's fair to say that things don't look much like this anymore, and this time I've made an effort (not much effort) to transition the corrosion and carnage towards to the front, as this is kinda how it is on the real thing, so we get more tyres and slightly less damage at the back, and then all hell breaking loose towards the front.

Wheels%20Suspension.jpg

Picture above, the Dragon separately moulded tyres turned out to be a god send to be honest, making the job of destroying the tyres a lot easier, and talking of tyres, I went round in circles with those as well, with regards to the colour, and finally settled on Tamiya NATO black, which is...grey, and then gave them a heavy wash of black, which made them...more black than grey, but anyway, if you look close, you can spot a Tamiya wheel mixed in with that lot of Dragon wheels, I was butchering wheels at such an alarming rate that I started to run out wheels, the Tamiya wheel got put in the back row because they don't match well.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherm%20Hull%20Turret

Pictures above, and we end up with this, basically heavily damaged and corroded HVSS suspension on both sides of my very brown/orange rusty looking Sherman tank, some of the wheels on the left hand side will be buried in sand on the base, and so they won't be visible, so they don't really matter that much to be honest, It depends if I decide to bury the damn thing in sand I suppose.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Side.jpg

Picture above, all looking very dark and moody in this one due to my terrible picture taking ability, but you can just about see the teeny tiny rubber tyre that is hanging from one of the larger return rollers, it was a lot of messing around doing that to be honest, and wasn't really worth the bother I don't think.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Sides.jpg

Picture above, this is what happens when you go a little overboard with rusty dusty using very light pastels and sand that has been through the mortar n pestle, but don't worry, nothing is fixed in place, it mostly just brushes off again, and after looking at these pictures I maybe wish that I had stayed with Tamiya NATO black, which would of left the tyres with a much more sun faded and bleached look, which I think I prefer to be honest, but I suppose I can always lighten them up later if I want.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Wheels.jpg

And that's about it for now, picture above shows that I'm still messing around trying to learn how to do sun baked sandy patches with artists oils, without much success, I've managed to do two that I actually vaguely like, It seems to be very hard to get consistent and repeatable results, all a bit hit n miss, with more miss than hit, but anyway, I'm starting to quite like this load of old rusty nonsense now, It's growing on me, the base is also growing as well, things were getting a little wibbly wobbly with the wheels on, so the base got bigger, and I have a cunning plan for that base, that might, or might not involve sand... :hmmm:

What's next? Some engine bay work probably, but I haven't done anything model making related for ages, so it might be a while before there's another update.

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
added pictures
  • Like 15

It's going to take a little bit more than plastic padding, some wet and dry and an engine transplant to get that back in working order Matt.:D

I'd say that was some excellent work that you've done there on the corrosion. First class.

John.

• Thanks 1

@Pig of the Week I'm gonna make you a sandpit, that white plastic base, glaring at the camera, its got sandpit written all over it, you just watch... :D 

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

old rubber left on the beach. Tyres I mean.

You have a very mischievous sense of humour Bertie ;)

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's going to take a little bit more than plastic padding, some wet and dry and an engine transplant to get that back in working order Matt.

I think it's fair to say that you wouldn't be happy if it turned up on the back of a low loader at your restoration yard on a Monday morning yes :rofl:

Thank you for the kind comments, much appreciated, and thanks for all the likes that folks have dropped over these ten pages, I've not done much work really to be honest for ten pages, apols for that, but it's just a mess around build log, so I suppose it doesn't really matter that much.

Matt

;)

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 3:08 PM, Cerberus said:

it's just a mess around build log, so I suppose it doesn't really matter that much.

Nope. We are here for the process not the result. Granted, that's because we've all given up hoping for a result...

Curiously this log echoes the slow chemistry of rust itself; nothing seems to be happening for years and years, you take many holidays in Culebra, and suddenly you notice the beautiful colours as a half-ton hatch breaks off and falls on your naked foot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/06/2022 at 17:45, Bertie Psmith said:

Granted, that's because we've all given up hoping for a result...

It's got a fairly good chance of getting finished I think, If I just keep plodding along, throwing some time at it now and again ;)

On 09/06/2022 at 17:45, Bertie Psmith said:

you take many holidays in Culebra

I do yes, I feel like I need a 2 week holiday after every update, lol

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
Note to self, don't post fast show vids, lol

White%20Patches.jpg

Here's a big clue as to what might be coming up next, I've made a start on the white patches on the turret, and some other stuff, couldn't decide whether to simply mask these and do them with an airbrush, or whether to hand paint them, on the real thing they are rough as old boots, paint slapped on with a big brush kinda thing, so I figured that hand painting them might be better/look rougher, and airbrush work would maybe look too neat n tidy, so I hand painted them, and they still look neat n tidy, so I might as well just airbrushed them, maybe I should of got drunk first...

M4A3%20105%20Graffiti.jpg

Let's be honest, @Bertie Psmith is never gonna be happy until some colour and graffiti turns up on the beach, so this might be next, unless things go badly wrong, then I'll be repainting things, and trying again, or doing engine bay work, or sandy patches, or a sand pit...

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
Because you can write nonsense in the edit box, which amuses me greatly
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

White%20Patches.jpg

Here's a big clue as to what might be coming up next, I've made a start on the white patches on the turret, and some other stuff, couldn't decide whether to simply mask these and do them with an airbrush, or whether to hand paint them, on the real thing they are rough as old boots, paint slapped on with a big brush kinda thing, so I figured that hand painting them might be better/look rougher, and airbrush work would maybe look too neat n tidy, so I hand painted them, and they still look neat n tidy, so I might as well just airbrushed them, maybe I should of got drunk first...

M4A3%20105%20Graffiti.jpg

Let's be honest, @Bertie Psmith is never gonna be happy until some colour and graffiti turns up on the beach, so this might be next, unless things go badly wrong, then I'll be repainting things, and trying again, or doing engine bay work, or sandy patches, or a sand pit...

Matt

;)

Are you going to do 'year after the graffiti' version. More opertunity for weathering 😉

Andrew 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, APA said:

Are you going to do 'year after the graffiti' version. More opertunity for weathering

I'm undecided and really not sure yet to be honest, I like both versions, fresh paint/graffiti and heavily weathered paint/graffiti, they both have their positives and negatives, plus I'm kinda working on the basis of a no plan, plan, winging it, making it up as I go along, because that seems to working quite well so far, but having said that I do really like the pictures that show the white patches on the turret as a very vivid orange, where the rust has completely taken over the white, very much like the first picture in the build log, that counts as heavily weathered, so everything else would have to be weathered the same, so I'm kinda leaning in that direction ;)

Culebra%20Orange.jpg

This is a good example, I much prefer the turret patches when they have gone very orange from all the rust and corrosion, It just seems to blend better with all the other rust and chaos that's going on, white paint patches (even when weathered) are very harsh/bright, but do provide good contrast to all the rust, it's swings n roundabouts, really not sure yet, I'm just just laying down white to start with as that's probably best if I want half decent yellows and oranges.

21 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I am the very soul of cheerfulness.

You are indeed yes, and what do you think @Bertie Psmith with regards to fresh graffiti or heavily weathered graffiti? I would be very interested to hear peoples thoughts on this, because it seems to me that there are several different ways to go with this aspect of the model, the no plan plan is only gonna get me so far, I suppose sooner or later I have to decide on something.

Matt

;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

what do you think @Bertie Psmith with regards to fresh graffiti or heavily weathered graffiti?

I found the white sections awfully clean. I thought you'd gone nuts and were going to start over. 😱 I think the real tank would have looked equally weird with clean bright graffiti contrasting/clashing with the almost 'iron ore' effects of the machine. However, I don't suppose they undercoated with Curerust, or used quality paint so the horrible newness wouldn't have lasted for long, would it? I think you might find it satisfying to weather the graffiti etc to within an inch of its life along with the metal. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I found the white sections awfully clean. I thought you'd gone nuts and were going to start over.

Don't worry I went nuts years ago, when I started throwing instructions in the bin and started regarding the plastic in a kit box as nothing more than a starting point, that might, or might not get finished one day, so I tend to to do erratic jumps towards another starting point, or in other words, I'm not so keen on gradual continuation, so I just fired up another starting point, which starts with horrible glaring white patches getting painted all over the place, and then we roll with it and see where it takes us...

Example - stipple painting the hull and turret with fast drying thick Acrylic was nuts, right? But if you roll with it, and see it where it takes you, then sometimes the results can be surprising, not half bad even, it certainly surprised me anyway, I had no idea that such a simple painting process could give not half bad results, and add texture at the same time, so I learnt something.

19 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I don't suppose they undercoated with Curerust, or used quality paint so the horrible newness wouldn't have lasted for long, would it?

No, the horrible newness is not gonna last long at all, it all gets painted over the top of existing rust and corrosion, plus the whole tank is getting washed by sea water every day, the white patches on the turret turn into very vivid orange patches, and the yellow and green on the hull side seemed to last a little longer, but at some point got overpainted with more graffiti, mostly name based stuff.

But anyway, the no plan plan is this - they started with bright vivid colours, so I'm gonna start with bright vivid colours, and then just roll with it, see what happens ;)

Matt

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Locked and Loaded

I think now's maybe a good time to simply hand the model over to a four year old child suitably armed with brightly coloured paints, and then let them take it to nursery for a play day, or if you want to put it another way, now's a good time to fire up yet another starting point and paint some bright white patches all over this rusty wreck of a Sherman tank, and at the same time let's try and forget that all the previous starting points/work is still unfinished, we are now layering unfinished work on top of...unfinished work, you can call me a cynic if you want, but I have a gut feeling this maybe ain't gonna end well, or some things/jobs will just remain unfinished...

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Colour%20Ba

(repeat picture, sorry, will explain later)

Anyway, I decided that I wanted bright vivid colours all over this rusty wreck simply because the graffiti guys (artists?) started with bright vivid colours, so it seemed like a good place to start, but unbeknown to me my Tamiya paints had already decided that the words bright and vivid were not in their job description, and instead tended to favour washed out looking nonsense, so I sacked the both of them (both yellow and orange) and hired some Winsor&Newton artists oils instead, and it has to said that this one decision has now caused an ever spiralling number of problems that I might, or might not discuss later in this post.

Orange%20and%20Yellow.jpg

Picture below, Tamiya yellow and orange got layered on top of the base white patches in the appropriate places but just resulted in washed out colours (mainly the yellow) and to be fair to Tamiya paints both yellow and orange are notorious for being a little bit troublesome, maybe white was not the best thing to start from, I'm inclined to blame my lack of painting ability rather than the Tamiya paints to be honest, anyway cadmium yellow and cadmium orange were quickly layered on top of the Tamiya paints and this resulted in much better/brighter vivid colours, to the point that you could maybe dazzle a rabbit from three miles away, but of course the downside is that the artists oils take a lot longer to dry, I really should of just stuck with acrylics or even enamels to be perfectly honest.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Colour%20Pa

(I did at least achieve bright and vivid colours if nothing else... :rolleyes:)

Picture below, the white patch on the upper hull near the engine deck is for the MMIX graffiti that will be added at some point when I can be bothered, and will then get weathered down so that it is barely recognisable hopefully, I'm not keen on it but it adds a bit of interest I suppose, and yellow patch on the rear plate will morph into the Culebra flag at some point (hopefully) and will also get heavily weathered, and the WTF? graffiti that should be where that yellow patch is will have to be moved somewhere else, but I'm not sure where yet.

Picture below, the orange patches on the turret had their edges feathered in to give them a more weathered look and make them look a lot less precise, this was done with the base burnt umber acrylic and a teeny tiny brush, and these feathered edges still need to be blended back in with a pastel wash to bring them back to a lighter shade of brown/rust, and then the sandy patches need to be overlaid back on top, and all of the colour patches on the model will be feathered in like this, when I get round to it.

And it's at this point in the build that all hell broke loose paint wise, paint masking hell to be a little more precise, and it has to said that any smart cookies who are still reading this will already know what the problem is - you can't put masks on top of half dry oil paints and expect them to stick well, plus we are working on the curve of a turret, and the surface is incredibly rough from all the texturing (the masks would work a lot better on smooth surfaces) but whatever, I waited about a week and a half for the oil paint to dry, and that was not even close to being long enough... 🤣

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Fishbones.j

(It's all very glossy because it's oils, so will hopefully get matt varnish at some point)

So, long story...long, the turret fishbone graffiti on this side of the turret is a mixture of hand painting and masking, I managed to get the mask to stick for just long enough to go in there and outline it with black artists oils (I never learn my lesson, but I figured it would be more stable and have less chance of seeping under the mask, there was no way in hell the mask was staying put for long enough to do any airbrush nonsense) And then I just infilled with some delicate brush painting, made a cup of tea and lost the will to live... and It all still needs to be weathered in, faded, dusted over, nothing is finished, or even remotely close to being finished for that matter, I basically just have colour and a reasonable fishbone graffiti, I'll sort the rest out later.

And long story short - I'm having problems with masks, and it's all my own fault... :doh:

And this build log is now on a new Google blog mainly for picture hosting - Culebra Beach

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
Removed stuff for a change
  • Like 11

I also think it is looking good Matt.

Not tried either and maybe a bit late now, but some people use lighter fluid with oils and there is also VMS oil expert. Both are supposed to massively speed up the drying process when using oil paint.

George

• Thanks 1

Mask or freehand, it really looks the poodles privates. The whole thing is already looking as though it's spent the last 70 years on a beach. Great work Matt.

John.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is looking superb. I love the contrast between the rust and the bright vivid colours. I guess we're not used to seeing/working with bright colours on an armour model but you've done a great job 👏. I always find painting to be the most fickle/temperamental stage in this hobby.

Will make for a highly interesting and eye-catching model when finished so stick with it! 

(I've also heard good things about VMS oil expert....their products tend to be excellent).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jack Klugman Thank you Jack, much appreciated as always, I vote for more Katsu in your build log  :)

On 01/07/2022 at 07:55, Geo1966 said:

but some people use lighter fluid with oils and there is also VMS oil expert. Both are supposed to massively speed up the drying process when using oil paint.

Thank you George, I'm using W&N water mixable oils (their words not mine) I tend to call them water soluble, and I'm not sure whether drying enhancers work with them, I'll try and find out at some point, W&N list them as having a dry time similar to regular oils.

@Bullbasket Thank you John, appreciate the comments, It would of been faster to just freehand them, which is all I kept thinking about while I was trying to mask them lol, still, lesson learnt ;)

On 01/07/2022 at 18:12, StuartH said:

I guess we're not used to seeing/working with bright colours on an armour model but you've done a great job 👏. I always find painting to be the most fickle/temperamental stage in this hobby.

Thank you Stuart, the plan is to whether it very heavily but at the same time I want very bright colours, because then it will look unusual, kinda strange/different, not sure how it will pan out though, and yes same here I find painting the most likely aspect of the hobby to cause road rage, round n round in circles in a love/hate relationship with the model sometimes I think. 

On 02/07/2022 at 22:01, Pig of the Week said:

going to be stunning and unique

Thank you Mr Piggy :)  I'm aiming for unique/different, something not seen that often, anything else that crops up along the way I'll consider a bonus.

On 01/07/2022 at 20:25, Bertie Psmith said:

The tank is looking brilliant but you sound so miserable about it. Are you in need of a break?

Thank you Bertie, at the risk of sounding like Oddball, that last post did have a fair amount of negative vibes yes, remember I said that I'm a lazy model maker? I always look for the path of least resistance, well, I tipped slippery oil all over my path of least resistance, and I knew it was the wrong thing to do, while I was doing it, and I tend to just dish out the rough with the smooth, and then hope there's a funny side to the things I do sometimes.

Do I need a break? No, I got loads of energy for this yet, a few more updates of colour nonsense, then we make a sandpit stand, for no other reason than it will be something different, make something from nothing, how hard can it be to make a sandpit (famous last words) that can be a little break ;)

But anyway,

You will be glad to hear that there will be no more messing around with pictures matching album covers, or music nonsense for that matter, just normal regular updates.

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

You will be glad to hear that there will be no more messing around with pictures matching album covers, or music nonsense for that matter, just normal regular updates.

No more music? But I've just thought of something funny to link to your graffiti pictures.

• Haha 1