M4A3 HVSS 105 - The Culebra Beach Wreck

Culebra%20Beach%20Seaweed.jpg

We are in trouble now, my better half has ordered a stencil/masking kit to do the yellow and green graffiti on the side of the hull, plus the white and black nonsense on the turret, very much like the picture above, we are calling it a birthday present, but I sense danger and troubled waters ahead, the emotional female brain is now financially involved in this project, and she will probably damn well expect it to be finished, and probably in short order as well, that notion alone strikes the fear of god into me, plus, she sure ain't gonna stand for any of my silly arty farty nonsense. those eyes will just roll...

See what turns up in the post...

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
whatever
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

When I saw that large, new and slightly unbelievable picture

When I first clapped eyes on this picture I thought.. omg luminous green seaweed/algae/slime all over the wheels and suspension as well! It looks good, but I think the front plate will be hard enough as it is, but I'm going to put a short length of track on this side, you are right, It needs that bit of track sticking out the sand I think.

;) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Postman Always Rings Twice

The postman has actually delivered something nice for a change, normally he just spams me with junk mail, like an email account gone bad, but this time he shoved something useful through the letterbox, and to be more specific, the Flamenco Beach (Culebra Beach) masking set that I mentioned above has turned up, and it seems, on first inspection/quick gander to be very good, which it has to be said shocks me a great deal because I'm used to AM stuff being a little bit... rubbish sometimes, rubbish is probably a little bit harsh, hit n miss, let's just say hit n miss, It's even the right scale, which shocked me even more, because they do a 1/48th version, and it didn't seem to specify on the website which scale you were actually buying.

I've not done a lot of actual model making these past couple of weeks (no surprise there then) I've been as sick as a dog, bed ridden for four days with man flu, mostly making a complete drama out of it to be honest, and milking it for all it's worth, I've been lucky for the past two years, with not so much as the slightest sniffle, then the first week of May rolls around, summer breaks loose with some glorious sunshine, there's gardening to do, things to cut, a model to build and I get the lurgy, but such is life...

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Masks2.jpg

Pictures above, I have absolutely no idea who Uschi van der Rosten is to be honest, but I have however heard of Miracle Masks, who it would seem produced the masks, with old Uschi just being the designer I think, not sure, he has a website which seems to have quite a large selection of masks and stencils, maybe focused more on the aero side of things? Really not sure...:hmmm:

Picture below, the mask set contains everything for the most famous version of this Sherman, so yellow and green spiral graffiti for the hull, and fishbones for either side of the turret, plus a few other bits n bobs, and it has to be said that the instructions are living a little on the vague side of life, but who needs instructions! Blokes don't need instructions! (famous last words) 

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Masks.jpg

In terms of actual work, I've done very little (see above) But I have made a start on sorting out the turret and the upper hull, both of which needed their chaos texture adding using Mr Surfacer Dissolved Putty and some very fine wood dust, I've used artistic license again for most of it, but not as crazy as the lower hull, this time I tried to keep things a little more restrained and follow pictures a teeny tiny little bit, the upper hull got a third pass with a Mini-craft tool and small rotary burs just to clean off some last sharp edges, and then the inside of the upper hull got absolutely murdered in a desperate attempt to remove all the Tamiya moulding marks/pin marks and stuff, because of the very open nature of the model it's very easy to see the inside of the hull, so it all need sorting out, sooner rather than later.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Texture.jpg

Pictures below, the gun breech that I scratch built ages ago has been fitted at long last to the inside of the turret, It does quite a good job of just catching the eye through the open hatches to give the impression of at least something being inside the turret, then it all got stipple painted in the same way as the lower hull, and some slight dusting added as well, and on the right, the inside of the upper hull got the same stipple paint process as everything else has so far, plus this time I added the vague remains of the sponsons (just in the front section for now) before I painted anything, so was able to blend them in better this time around.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Hull%20and%

And that's about as far as I've got for now, though I am working on it a lot more, and I know I said that the wheels and suspension would be next, but I got a little carried away with the turret, stipple painting and stuff, and then things just spiralled from there, and the turret really needed sorting out now because I bodged it ages ago with fine grit/sand on the inside while experimenting with textures, and it ended up looking god awful, it doesn't look much better now to be honest, but it's a lot better than it was that's for sure.

Culebra%20Beach%20Turret%20Texture.jpg

(I scratched a turret from dairy milk chocolate :rolleyes:)

Picture above, If you think of this as a pre shade layer very much like spraying on a coat of black surface primer then it starts to make a little more sense, you just have to get past the fact that the turret is a horrible chocolate brown colour, well for now at least, but anyway, some wheels and suspension work is probably up next as it all badly needs to go back on sooner rather than later.

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
Because I just love edits
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The Postman Always Rings Twice

The postman has actually delivered something nice for a change, normally he just spams me with junk mail, like an email account gone bad, but this time he shoved something useful through the letterbox, and to be more specific, the Flamenco Beach (Culebra Beach) masking set that I mentioned above has turned up, and it seems, on first inspection/quick gander to be very good, which it has to be said shocks me a great deal because I'm used to AM stuff being a little bit... rubbish sometimes, rubbish is probably a little bit harsh, hit n miss, let's just say hit n miss, It's even the right scale, which shocked me even more, because they do a 1/48th version, and it didn't seem to specify on the website which scale you were actually buying.

I've not done a lot of actual model making these past couple of weeks (no surprise there then) I've been as sick as a dog, bed ridden for four days with man flu, mostly making a complete drama out of it to be honest, and milking it for all it's worth, I've been lucky for the past two years, with not so much as the slightest sniffle, then the first week of May rolls around, summer breaks loose with some glorious sunshine, there's gardening to do, things to cut, a model to build and I get the lurgy, but such is life...

Masks%20Start%20Rev.jpg

I should warn you, I've been messing around in MS paint quite a lot, I only ventured in to trim a few pictures and ended up loosing countless hours making complete nonsense, but anyway, I have absolutely no idea who Uschi van der Rosten is (or if I even spelt any of that correctly) I have however heard of Miracle Masks, who it would seem produced the masks, with old Uschi just being the designer I think, not sure, he has a website which seems to have quite a large selection of masks and stencils, maybe focused more on the aero side of things? Really not sure...:hmmm:

Pictures above, the little cutie got censored I'm afraid, I really didn't fancy a perma ban for accidently breaking site rules, I have no idea as to whether ladies in bikinis are allowed, so played it safe, picture below, the mask set contains everything for the most famous version of this Sherman, so yellow and green spiral graffiti for the hull, and fishbones for either side of the turret, plus a few other bits n bobs, and it has to be said that the instructions are living a little on the vague side of life, but who needs instructions! Blokes don't need instructions! (famous last words) 

Mask%20Set.jpg

In terms of actual work, I've done very little (see above) But I have made a start on sorting out the turret and the upper hull, both of which needed their chaos texture adding using Mr Surfacer Dissolved Putty and some very fine wood dust, I've used artistic license again for most of it, but not as crazy as the lower hull, this time I tried to keep things a little more restrained and follow pictures a teeny tiny little bit, the upper hull got a third pass with a Minicraft tool and small rotary burs just to clean off some last sharp edges, and then the inside of the upper hull got absolutely murdered in a desperate attempt to remove all the Tamiya moulding marks/pin marks and stuff, because of the very open nature of the model it's very easy to see the inside of the hull, so it all need sorting out, sooner rather than later.

Postcards%20Work%20Start.jpg

Pictures below, the gun breech that I scratch built ages ago has been fitted at long last to the inside of the turret, It does quite a good job of just catching the eye through the open hatches to give the impression of at least something being inside the turret, then it all got stipple painted in the same way as the lower hull, and some slight dusting added as well, and on the right, the inside of the upper hull got the same stipple paint process as everything else has so far, plus this time I added the vague remains of the sponsons (just in the front section for now) before I painted anything, so was able to blend them in better this time around.

Postcards%20Work%20Fin.jpg

(I got the cut wrong :rolleyes:)

And that's about as far as I've got for now, though I am working on it a lot more, and I know I said that the wheels and suspension would be next, but I got a little carried away with the turret, stipple painting and stuff, and then things just spiralled from there, and the turret really needed sorting out now because I bodged it ages ago with fine grit/sand on the inside while experimenting with textures, and it ended up looking god awful, it doesn't look much better now to be honest, but it's a lot better than it was that's for sure.

In the spirit of chilled out, takin it easy and... what's the rush? 

Matt

;)

Sooooooooooo what your saying is ..................it's not done yet  .......................... now come on old bean you really are pulling the pud now knuckle down old chap and lets see some bikini clad lady bits there's a good chap, not like you have an excuse now is it .... i even did that tutorial you wanted, now i wana see it put to good use :yahoo:

Tanks ok spose looks a bit rusty though (oh wait that's the point):P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Sooooooooooo what your saying is ..................it's not done yet  ..........................

That about sums it up yes, but on the bright side, this time it was only 2 weeks later, instead of 3 weeks later, you see, I'm speeding up, gaining momentum... 🤣

The tutorial was awesome yes, thankyou, I'm not looking forward to doing a figure to be honest, but needs must, as they say, a vignette needs a figure or two, and that's next on my shopping list, hunt down some bikini girls and see what turns up in the post again ;)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I've sussed your strategy. You are going to use this as your entry in the Entropy GB, next year. It's the only way you'll finish one by the deadline. 🤣

I must admit the thought did cross my mind, but nope, I'm starting to like this build log, so I'm gonna just plod along here, doing that 2/3 week later thing, doing my own thing, talking nonsense, spending far too much time in MS paint, and chilling out, that kinda thing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I must admit the thought did cross my mind, but nope, I'm starting to like this build log, so I'm gonna just plod along here, doing that 2/3 week later thing, doing my own thing, talking nonsense, spending far too much time in MS paint, and chilling out, that kinda thing.

Your thread is like reading Dickens. I never know where it's going next, there will be some gems along the way, and the one thing I can be sure of is that there's no point rushing.

Under The Pressure

Are you bored with rust yet? You got to be bored with it, even I'm a little fed up with it, and I'm the one having lots of fun doing it, but still, there is light at the end of the tunnel, most of the model is now painted a vaguely rusty and dusty colour, so hopefully things can move on to the more colourful and fun side of things soon, like the graffiti and,.. stuff, but first I need to perfect the fine art of baked on sandy patches, which are proving to be more problematic than anticipated, I sorta thought that they would be very easy to do, and probably would be if I did them the right way, but me being me, I'm making a meal of it, but anyway, I've made a start, mostly on the turret, and I need to do a lot more on the upper and lower hull to make everything blend together better, it's all still work in progress, and a lot of fun, mostly just chilled out stuff painting (badly) with oils.

Paints%20Used%20so%20Far.jpg

The mortar and pestle in the picture on the right is simply for creating a very fine pastel dust, when you run very fine builders sand (sharp sand) through a beige coloured mortar and pestle you get a very good sandy coloured dust, which is damn handy for a build like this, but anyway, the upper hull and turret got hit with the same stippled coats of Daler-Rowney (heavy body) burnt umber acrylic mixed with a medium rust coloured pastel chalk, It needs two or three coats to get a good base coverage, which takes some time, but not too bad to be honest as it's fast drying stuff, then I just left it for a day or so, ready for some pastel and oil washes.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20First%20and

And talking of washes, the picture on the left shows a medium rust pastel wash using Tamiya X-20A thinner as a kind of fixing agent, applied mostly all over, but in a varied way so as to create a faded patchy look, then it got zapped with a hair dryer for a few mins to dry it all, and then another wash, this time with oils, mostly Windsor and Newton Cadmium Orange (water mixable) this was applied very sparingly and only in certain areas, not an all over wash like the first one, this wash was done quite a few times to try and build up some colour, and because it's a lot of fun.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Turret%20Te

Pictures above and below, now my terrible attempts at sandy patches can be seen, though It does have to said that the camera is showing these as almost bright white, which they are not, they are a very light sandy brown colour, and were done with Naples Yellow, but It is fair to say that they need quite a lot more work, they need the high spots picking out with a much darker colour, and a lot more blending in work, It's all still very much work in progress, and about the only thing I'm happy with at the moment is the sandy patch around the gun barrel.

Flamenco%20Beach%20Sherman%20Turret%20Te

But anyway, the main reason for chucking some paint on it was to check the surface texture, to get a rough idea of whether it's in the right ball park or not, and in that regard I'm fairly happy with how the texturing turned out to be honest, there is a certain element of complete random chaos going on, and I'm very happy with how the turret turned out, plus the lower hull turned out reasonably well, and the upper hull maybe not so much, It maybe needed more chaos corrosion on the front plate, but then the front plate will hopefully be getting a layer of seaweed/slime/algae nonsense at some point, so it probably doesn't matter that much.

M4A3%20HVSS%20105mm%20Flamenco%20Beach%2

Picture below, the whole thing now badly needs a coat of varnish and then a dark wash needs to be applied to darken it all down a bit, all the weathering effects have lightened it up quite a lot, and as can be seen in the picture the engine bay badly needs to be sorted out, it's a focal point, a very big focal point to be honest, and therefore needs some work, It badly needs some interest adding in the form of old junk metal, some more detail adding maybe, engine mounts, that sorta stuff, and a big pile of sand for the crabs to play in, this might be the next job I think, but not sure, I keep mentioning the wheels and suspension but then never get round to doing them, so that might be next...

M4A3%20HVSS%20105mm%20Flamenco%20Beach%2

I'm 60/40 now to almost liking it, so that's progress right, and I have to be honest, It's a lot of fun to work on, It's fun to just keep making little changes that make it worse, and then make little changes that make it better again, trial and error, work in progress and not even vaguely close to being finished, and I find it funny that about 95% of the model is painted but I haven't used an airbrush yet, and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing, or a bad thing... :hmmm:

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
Because it's 1am again
  • Like 11

I think that it's coming along spiffingly. Well done so far! 

Do you think it's time to get some of the bright paint on the thing? Don't spend too long on rust colours now because you are going to almost have to start over when the paint is on and must be chipped faded eroded stained streaked balanced blended...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jack Klugman said:

Your tank really does look like a rusty relic of WW2

Well as long as it looks very old, and very rusty, then I'm a happy chap, so thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated :)

15 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Looks bloody good to me... Are you going to find some very fine real sand to use for the, er.. sand ?

As a kid I used to play with my tanks etc in a big tray of Gran's budgie sand to represent the desert :)

Made me smile a happy smile, memories of childhood and sand pits, playing with quickly thrown together old models, I think we have all been there ;)

Thank you for kind comments, and I had to google budgie sand, lol, never heard of that before, but yes, I'm on the hunt for a very very fine sand, almost like powder, I can make some, but it takes forever, preferably rich tea biscuit colour as well, then I don't need to paint it... :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Do you think it's time to get some of the bright paint on the thing? Don't spend too long on rust colours now because you are going to almost have to start over when the paint is on and must be chipped faded eroded stained streaked balanced blended...

Thank you Bertie, and with regards to the bright paint (the graffiti) Yes is the answer to that, I agree, best to get that on earlier rather than later, but first I have to go backwards, I skipped some construction work because I just wanted to get some colour on it, to see what the texture looks like, and I'm more than happy with the texture, which is a good thing, because the texture is the only thing that can't be changed, improved, but now I have to go back and finish the construction, the engine bay is a very big focal point, my eyes tend to look at the turret first, then the open engine bay, and there's nothing there, so that needs sorting out.

Engine Bay

Hunt a good picture for an M4A3 engine bay, look at what would be good to add, keeping it nice n simple, maybe some old engine mounts, a little bit of floor detail, the rusty remains of the old fluid tanks at the front, and the old drive shaft that is in the bottom of the engine bay, then add some old junk bits of metal and a lot of sand, and it's job done for the open engine bay.

Should of been done long ago, but it wasn't because I was in a rush to see what the texture looked like with paint on top, and then I got a bit carried away, as you do, so the colourful graffiti will just have to wait for a bit longer... they do say that patience is a virtue, but then they say a lot of things, and that don't make any of it true.

Matt

;)

Edited by Cerberus
Because I'm now addicted to edits
  • Like 2

And while talking of very old and very rusty things, apparently this (picture below) is sitting on/in a beach in Grimsby somewhere, I'm not sure what it is, but it's British that's for sure, maybe a Cromwell? or Comet? It has to be a C something, but whatever it is there is not a lot left of it, and how exactly it got there I have no idea, if it still had a turret it would make for a damn nice model I think, It's a bit like the very rare RAM that's up in the hills of Buxton, Derbyshire that sadly also has no turret, but still, it's a good example of extreme chaos corrosion and carnage ;)

British%20Tank%20Grimsby.jpg

Edited by Cerberus
Update
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Thank you for kind comments, and I had to google budgie sand, lol, never heard of that before, but yes, I'm on the hunt for a very very fine sand, almost like powder,

Model railroad depts. in hobby shops carry some items like this but Ive found super fine sand online as I was looking for black to match the beaches on Iwo Jima. Look for super fine decorative sand. 

https://www.amazon.com/Capcouriers-Craft-Sand-Decorative-Natural/dp/B08BXYXKYT/ref=asc_df_B08BXYXKYT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459583264214&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4942767434258069977&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021610&hvtargid=pla-969469866713&psc=1

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 10:27 PM, Cerberus said:

I'm on the hunt for a very very fine sand, almost like powder, I can make some, but it takes forever, preferably rich tea biscuit colour

Pigment powder or hard pastels (which are easy to crush)?

20 hours ago, Cerberus said:

fine sand, almost like powder, I can make some, but it takes forever, preferably rich tea biscuit colour

y4mwdvI4Wpn7jk3B8ybK1v9w12aBIqa_FeGl-hgF

These are particles from a clay soil field near to me. When the rains wash it onto the farm track they sort it by size, as you see it's rather fine. The rule behind it is graduated in mm. I could send you a packet of it if you wish but....

y4mPyUtfZkJAOBJblzPsG1KqFWVpfIaiMvzcuIgQ

But perhaps we are getting fixated on making sand out of sand? This is sanding dust from pearwood, hence the orange hue, but if you have any biscuit coloured hardwood to hand and an electrical sander you can make your own.

On 21/05/2022 at 00:46, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Model railroad depts. in hobby shops carry some items like this but Ive found super fine sand online as I was looking for black to match the beaches on Iwo Jima. Look for super fine decorative sand. 

Thanks for the link Dennis, decorative sand, I shall remember that, I have at least heard of decorative sand, but never used any for model making as yet, I'll go hunting for some of that, and I also use a file for pastel chalks, I tend to use an old needle file, that gets them down to a fine dust real fast ;)

On 21/05/2022 at 19:36, Bertie Psmith said:

But perhaps we are getting fixated on making sand out of sand? This is sanding dust from pearwood, hence the orange hue, but if you have any biscuit coloured hardwood to hand and an electrical sander you can make your own.

We just did 8 pages on surface texture, now we could maybe do 8 more pages on making sand from...sand 🤣

But, on a slightly more serious note, with regards to wood dust, I am now a big fan of very fine wood dust for doing surface texture, when mixed with something else, something wet, like a dissolved putty, but I'm not so sure how good it would be to replicate sand, I'll just do the same as I did before, play around with lots of different stuff, and see what I like the look of best, trial and error, I'm starting to like trial and error to be honest, because I tend to learn quite a lot along the way...

Paints%20Used%20so%20Far.jpg

Pictures above, on the left is the paints and pastels used so far, and that's not a great deal to be honest, plan from the start was to keep it simple, and then things tend to be chilled out and stress free, which is all that matters for this build, if your doing a fun build, then the building should be fun, right? And the picture on the right, very very fine sand, run through a mortar n pestle, it grinds out the ceramic of the mortar n pestle and adds it to the sand, which then makes a very good weathering pastel/chalk for doing dusty rusty, cheap, easy, stress free, chilled out, just get the sand from the shed, and put some sing songs on ;)

Very%20Fine%20Builders%20Sand.jpg

Picture above, this is the sand I've been messing around with so far, It's fine builders sand used for paving and stuff, but us gardeners tend to like mixing it with soil and compost to increase drainage, for plants that like sandy soil, that sorta thing, hence I keep a bag in the shed, and If I filter out the very fine stuff then it's incredibly fine, but I'm still gonna go on the hunt for other options, and then just play around with stuff as before.

Matt

;) 

Edited by Cerberus
Update
  • Like 4

From what I remember, builders’ sand or coarse sand, is pretty chunky, whereas play sand is the thinnest I think. I use tile grout for soil. It’s pretty fine and has the advantage of fixing with just a drop of water or diluted PVA. I’ve only used a light grey and added washes of water colour and oil paints after, but is available in a variety of colours. It might be a good “sand” for you possibly?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Model Mate said:

From what I remember, builders’ sand or coarse sand, is pretty chunky, whereas play sand is the thinnest I think. I use tile grout for soil. It’s pretty fine and has the advantage of fixing with just a drop of water or diluted PVA. I’ve only used a light grey and added washes of water colour and oil paints after, but is available in a variety of colours. It might be a good “sand” for you possibly?

Used to set tile and worked in a Tile warehouse, grout comes in both sanded and un-sanded varieties. Just ask for the sanded if this is what you opt for. 

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Has she found out what you've done to it yet? 😆

Everything requisitioned from the kitchen for model making duties is done so on a,.. need to know basis, you gotta ask yourself, does she really need to know... 🤣

I'm a bugger for pilfering glass cups and china saucers for painting duties (out of habit from when I was a kid doing model making probably) I've got loads of those artists plastic palette things, but hardly ever use them...

32 minutes ago, Model Mate said:

Builders sand is very coarse yes, this stuff is a much finer version, it's intended use is for block paving joints, and then the ants just push it all out again, I've heard of play sand yes, I'll add that to my list, thank you :)

Now we have a list, lists are good, I like lists, well, better than plans and schedules anyway...

1) Budgie Sand

2) Decorative Sand

3) Play Sand

;)

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 1