North American P-51D-10 Mustang "Petie 2nd", 453rd Museum build #1 - Tamiya 1/48

finito8

Here's my latest off the bench, the well known "Petie 2nd" Mustang (a P-51D-10, to be exact) flown by Lt. Col. John C. Meyer, as part of the 8 Air Force, 453rd Bomber Group (in detail, 487th Fighter Squadron, 352nd Fighter Group), whose museum this model is intended for. This is my first entry for the museum, the second will be a P-47D Thunderbolt, which I still have to begin working on.

Back to this, the kit is the Tamiya one dedicated to this subject, in 1/48 scale; the only aftermarket addition was the Eduard PE set for the cockpit. Some minor scratch building was involved too, namely:

- the gunsight reflectors, from thin acetate

- the oxygen hose inside the cockpit, using thin copper wire winded around a thicker wire

- the tail wheel arm, from a steel paper clip

- the main struts brakelines, again with copper wire

- the Pitot pipe, from brass tubes(because I lost the kit part in the process, it didn't really need to be replaced :banghead: )

- the machine gun barrels, again from brass tubes

- the tail light, from clear sprue

- the main wheel wells back wall, from plasticard

- piping and cabling inside said wheel wells, from various wires

I also filled in (with PPP) most of the wing panel lines, according to the process used on the real bird to guarantee the lamina flow. I tried to keep them slightly visible though, as can be seen in period pics.

Insignia and letters were airbrushed, using masks that I designed and cut with my Silhouette Curio, while the serials, stencils and all the rest came from the kit decals. Metallic paint is mainly Tamiya Gloss Aluminium from a rattle can, decanted and airbrushed. Variations were obtained with AK Xtreme Metal Chrome and Vallejo Silver. All other paints used were Lifecolor, Italeri and Tamiya acrylics. Weathering done with a mix of black tempera wash, oil wash and oil dotting (the latter only on blue surfaces), and some Tamiya Smoke liberally airbrushed on the metallic areas.

The build thread is here:

Here are some pics:

finito9

finito10

finito35

finito11

finito12

finito13

finito14

finito15

finito16

finito17

finito18

finito19

finito20

finito21

Some shots of the interiors - they are over-exposed, I preferred going that way rather than using the flash

finito22

finito23

finito24

finito25

finito26

finito27

Exhausts detail

finito29

and machine guns

finito30

finito31

Undercarriages

finito33

finito34

And some from underneath

finito1

finito2

finito3

finito4

finito5

finito6

finito7

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

Dayam, that's a sweet Mustang! Colonel Myers would approve, methinks! You got the 'sit' of the canopy correct, which is not done on so many builds, and you also fixed the  incorrect wheel bay rear wall/main spar- bonus points! All that great modeling and you didn't put in the plumbing for the external tanks? Shame, shame, shame! (Just kidding- that's a  model of which you should be proud! :like:

Mike

Scratching my head looking for the venturi you mentioned replacing- did you mean the underwing pitot tube? :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done Giemme, I doubt any of mine will ever be this good but wont stop me from trying. 

Cheers Dennis, thank you! :thumbsup: 

54 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Dayam, that's a sweet Mustang! Colonel Myers would approve, methinks! You got the 'sit' of the canopy correct, which is not done on so many builds, and you also fixed the  incorrect wheel bay rear wall/main spar- bonus points! All that great modeling and you didn't put in the plumbing for the external tanks? Shame, shame, shame! (Just kidding- that's a  model of which you should be proud! :like:

Mike

Scratching my head looking for the venturi you mentioned replacing- did you mean the underwing pitot tube? :hmmm:

Thanks Mike! :thumbsup: Credits go to Tamiya for the sit of the canopy - they got it correct, I just followed :) 

And yes, I meant the pitot tube, thanks for pointing that out, now I fixed the description in my post :thumbsup2: 

As for the drop tanks plumbing: you got me there, I've been lazy :D  Actually; even if I didn't mention it, I've been thinking all along the build if I should mount the drop tanks at all, considering that there is a chance I'll have to ship the model to the museum rather than bring it there in person. Even using a fast carrier, it's quite a trip from Italy to England, and the tanks are only attached by two tiny fixing points. So I put them together for sport, let's say, and to test the painting and weathering I was going to use on the main AC. When I made my mind up and decided to mount them, they were already painted, and I was afraid that adding the plumbing would mess the painting up. As I said, lazy.... 

15 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Now that's a Mustang worthy of a museum. Great job.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Ciao

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Cheers Dennis, thank you! :thumbsup: 

Thanks Mike! :thumbsup: Credits go to Tamiya for the sit of the canopy - they got it correct, I just followed :) 

And yes, I meant the pitot tube, thanks for pointing that out, now I fixed the description in my post :thumbsup2: 

As for the drop tanks plumbing: you got me there, I've been lazy :D  Actually; even if I didn't mention it, I've been thinking all along the build if I should mount the drop tanks at all, considering that there is a chance I'll have to ship the model to the museum rather than bring it there in person. Even using a fast carrier, it's quite a trip from Italy to England, and the tanks are only attached by two tiny fixing points. So I put them together for sport, let's say, and to test the painting and weathering I was going to use on the main AC. When I made my mind up and decided to mount them, they were already painted, and I was afraid that adding the plumbing would mess the painting up. As I said, lazy.... 

Thanks Bill, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Ciao

For your next Mustang!

Mike

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/p-51d-drop-tank-plumbing.55401/

This Mustang is based here where I live, and is a beautiful restoration- the 108 gallon 'paper' tanks are reproductions cast from an original tank.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Jack_M._Ilfrey

• Thanks 1

That’s really Museums quality. It turns out fantastic! Your puttied wings are spot on !  And your cockpit invites to take place and have a ride!

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Cheers

Andy 

• Thanks 1

On 06/03/2022 at 22:12, russ c said:

Great looking Mustang there, really nice work

Thanks Russ. much appreciated :thumbsup:

On 07/03/2022 at 02:17, 72modeler said:

For your next Mustang!

Mike

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/p-51d-drop-tank-plumbing.55401/

This Mustang is based here where I live, and is a beautiful restoration- the 108 gallon 'paper' tanks are reproductions cast from an original tank.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Jack_M._Ilfrey

Great links Mike, thank you! :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

That’s really Museums quality. It turns out fantastic! Your puttied wings are spot on !  And your cockpit invites to take place and have a ride!

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Cheers

Andy 

Thank you Andy, way too kind! :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, mullac2001 said:

Fantastic work , very well done

Thank you! :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful measured and detailed work as always my friend.  Bravo that man. 👏👏👏 Great RFI pics to boot. 

Thanks Johnny, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Ciao

On 08/03/2022 at 10:13, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Absolutely stunning result! I will look out for it when I next visit the museum!

Thank you! :thumbsup: Wait till it gets there, though: it won't be before June :) 

On 08/03/2022 at 16:57, Markh-75 said:

Excellent detail! fabulous build, better than 1st class that's for sure! I have Petie 2nd as a diecast, in fact I have four 352nd 'Stangs, all die cast.

Cheers Mark, thanks - glad you like it :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's really well done.

Thanks Bertie :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

Impeccable Giorgio.  Really like the oil work on the blue nose; and the finish generally come to think of it; and the build per se come to think of it…. :D

Way too kind, Steve  - glad you like it :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Really enjoyed the WIP Giorgio, and this RFI is the icing on the cake. A truly fabulous build in every way.

You should be very proud of this one!

Terry

Thanks Terry :thumbsup: I'm pretty happy with it, I hope Jim at the museum will be too :) 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic Mustang Giorgio, I love the subtle finish and the contrast of the lacquer wings to the NMF fuselage. I hope to one day return to the Old Buckenham museum and see this there!

Cheers Cookie, I'm so glad you like it! :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Just beautiful! 

16 hours ago, Roberto said:

Really beautiful!

Thanks both! :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Impressive Mustangery Mister G

:mike:

Such a fine paint job !!

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

What's up now ??

A bent wings bird ???:evil_laugh:

CC

Thank you Alain, much appreciated :thumbsup:

I have already been building two bent wing birds for a while now, just not the kind you mean.... :winkgrin: But sooner or later I'll tackle the Corsair too :)  I still need to do my second museum build, first, and I'm not as good at multi-tasking as you are :shrug:  :D

Ciao

• Like 3

On 14/03/2022 at 16:25, Spookytooth said:

One very very very nice Mustang you have built there Giorgio.

Well worthy of placing in a museum.

Big pat on the back for this one mate.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks for the appreciation :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

Flipping awesome as ever! A great addition to the museum’s collection.

Rob

Way too kind Rob, thank you! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1