Destroyer depth charge thrower locations

ArnoldAmbrose

Gidday All, I'm currently building a small 1/600 scale model of the 'O' class destroyer HMS Onslow and I have a question regarding her depth-charge throwers. All references I've seen state she had four of these throwers (and two stern chutes) but they don't say where they're fitted. The drawings I have and photos of other models seem to show only two locations, at the hull edge either side between the aft deckhouse and the 4-inch AA gun bandstand. My question if anybody knows is this: was it likely that two throwers would be placed close together in those two locations? The drawings (and they're very small) seem to hint at this but drawings can be wrong. I've not seen any photos that clearly show those locations on HMS Onslow.

If anyone has any info on this I'd be grateful for your advice. Thanks in advance. Regards, Jeff.

As a leader, ONSLOW had a wider after deckhouse, and therefore there wasn't room for throwers abreast it - notwithstanding some references, she had one thrower each side, just forward of the deckhouse.  Plenty of references around - eg http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/books-plans/ship-craft/21-rndd/z-06.jpg.  Each thrower had stands for three charges in their arbors ready for reloading.

• Thanks 1

All my reference books say only two and this is what I see in various photos so I'd be interested to know which references say 4.

Anyhow this is what the source document says on this question:  

Onslow DC

Edited by dickrd
  • Thanks 3

Gidday guys, thanks for your responses. 

@Our Ned that's pretty much the drawing I'm working from and yeah, the wider deckhouse doesn't leave much room there for the throwers, so two makes sense.

@dickrd that looks rather conclusive. The references that say four throwers are Wikipedia and the like. Maybe they took the particulars from another of the class and assumed that all of them were the same. I found when researching the light AA armament of HMS York a few years ago nearly all references said the same thing, verbatim. That suggested to me that one reference was a copy of another and not an independent reference, so perhaps the same happened here.

Anyway, thanks for your help with this. I made two sets of four last night so now I have plenty of spares for future builds. 🙂 At 1/600 scale they're rather small and simple. They're not fitted yet, that can be done later.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1