Brewster B-339D Buffalo - USAAF

Hello everyone

Here is the first of three Mark I Models 1:144 Buffalo kits I have completed this weekend.
It represents 3119, with the 5th Air Force, US Army Air Force, in Australia, autumn 1942. This was the last B-339D for the Dutch East Indies which had been kept by the manufacturer for trials and was on its way there together with several B-339-23s (export F2A-3s) when they surrendered and the shipment was diverted to Australia and taken over by the USAAF. Most of these were temporarily transferred to the RAAF throughout 1942 and were returned the following year.

0402-01.jpg

For some reason I have failed to discover, Mark I Models presents the option as "3120". I have managed to ascertain that "3-120" was used by the ML-KNIL in the Dutch East Indies and that none of the Dutch Buffaloes made it to Australia. 3-119 was the only B-339D used by the USAAF. Also, contrary to the instructions, this machine retained the Dutch scheme so I painted it this way (see my B-339C completed two months ago). I had to paint the "19" at the end of the serial number.

0402-03.jpg

0402-08.jpg

Additions made to the kit were: the roll bar in the cockpit plus belts on the seat, the missing exhaust pipes, the wing pitot as well as the radio wires. The kit was fully painted and varnished by brush.

0402-06.jpg

0402-13.jpg

0402-11.jpg

0402-14.jpg

0402-16.jpg

0402-17.jpg

0402-18.jpg

Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.
Miguel

Edited by Mig88
Correction
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

The little Buffalo was quite a small aircraft, but compared to the coin in the picture, it looks tiny, but in 1/144 it will be er, tinier!

its a model I’d like to make in 1/72.

yours is looking great, it’s not easy to make such a tiny model but it looks good!👍

• Thanks 1

Awesome little build! I've made one 109 in 144th, very fiddly. Have another built up for my wife to paint. Might try a few more, they are rewarding little builds. Though the painting I do find a little frustrating at that scale.

👏👏

• Thanks 1

On 06/03/2022 at 18:18, arfa1983 said:

That last photo with the euro coin I was like, "whaaaaat?"

I seriously thought that was 1/72 or even 1/48.

On 06/03/2022 at 18:34, Wulfman said:

Lovely job on the Buffalo !

Wulfman

On 06/03/2022 at 21:12, Markh-75 said:

The little Buffalo was quite a small aircraft, but compared to the coin in the picture, it looks tiny, but in 1/144 it will be er, tinier!

its a model I’d like to make in 1/72.

yours is looking great, it’s not easy to make such a tiny model but it looks good!👍

On 06/03/2022 at 23:59, Murewa said:

Awesome little build! I've made one 109 in 144th, very fiddly. Have another built up for my wife to paint. Might try a few more, they are rewarding little builds. Though the painting I do find a little frustrating at that scale.

👏👏

Go for it!! :thumbsup:

On 07/03/2022 at 10:32, Sky Keg said:

Wow that thing is tiny!!!!  Very nice Miguel.  :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you very much to all. Watch this space for the other two soon 😉.

Miguel

• Like 1

On 12/03/2022 at 15:57, Andy Young said:

You've had a busy weekend Miguel!. Your eyes must be hurting from all those painted canopies - very well done. It's nice to be able to build a collection in 1/144.

Cheers, Andy

🤣🤣🤣

Thanks a lot Andy.

Miguel