The Black Devil's last stand: Erich Harmann's Bf 109G-6 in JG 53

Hello guys,

After building the small Airfix Spitfire Mk.Ia in 72nd, I decided to go back to one of my favourite scales, 1:32.

This time it's the turn for the Revell 1:32 Bf 109G-6. Markings will come from different sources: The heart with Ursula's name, so distinctive on each of Hartmann's aircraft, will be from the Academy 1:48 Ta 183. Lower wing crosses will be from the Hasegawa Bf 109G-6 (the ones with the black outline). The chevrons are from the kit decals. Tulips and yellow markings will have to be painted.

Real life photo of the aircraft:

dWbmVwI.jpeg

Here are the first in-progress photos:

eRuZLzf.jpeg

vL1hnf9.jpeg

hMdIMK7.jpeg

Propeller done:

fVMMx15.jpeg

• Like 5

I've painted the cockpit parts with Revell 78 Tank Grey (it should be the lighter colour 77 Dust Grey, but they're very similar).

This is the first time I add the IP decal to a raised detailed part. Microsol was brushed over it to make it conform to the bumps.

2bwx8SM.jpeg

XvWtIM7.jpeg

4rEIMUS.jpeg

6zlLdPZ.jpeg

18p7mc5.jpeg

• Like 4

Instrument panel looks good...

I'd suggest some careful trimming and dry fitting of all the components that make up the forward cowls. It has been a while since I did one but I recall the tolerances were quite tight. I may even have taken a couple of bits of the internal support structure away to get a better fit of the side and top panels.

It's a good, mostly very accurate kit but requires careful construction. Look out for the quite finiky undercarriage legs as well.

Matt

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mattlow said:

dry fitting of all the components that make up the forward cowls.

Hmmm, I didn't dry fit anything, but the fit was pretty good.

I did find that Revell didn't bother to mark the holes for the bulges to be opened when installing them over the side panels.

17 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Look out for the quite finiky undercarriage legs

I don't understand why Revell made the kit with a three-part landing gear instead of a single strut for each main gear. Maybe to pave the way for the lighter loaded Bf 109G-2?

Ready to glue the cockpit and close the fuselage halves. Revell forgot to mark the holes for the bulges to be opened, so if you have this kit, pay attention to that.

9si1kKp.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello guys, I'm proud to say I've done more progress on Hartmann's 109.

Here's the fuselage closed.

mBHgMqm.jpeg

Cowling added.

xtv1pSP.jpeg

You can see here I built and painted the wheels, one of the most time consuming parts on any model.

GjidTyZ.jpeg

That's it for now.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 2

Hello guys, 

I began painting the kit. I started by painting the lower tulips in black and white, and then the yellow for the lower cowling. Once those were dry, I painted the white, which took some coata to cover properly. The squiggles are in RLM 75. 

u0pPtUi.jpeg

bN3UXjm.jpeg

Here you can see the colours applied. This is by far the most complex camouflage I've ever painted. For now. It's also my favourite.

bnlHVw6.jpeg

qx3RiWz.jpeg

dCxSOpS.jpeg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1