PK-306 MG TC

zNqLDMD.jpg

Now, that I am nearing completion of the Me 410, I have already started with the MG, studying the instructions, cleaning parts, dry fittig components. The rubber tyres are as stiff as hard plastic.

8z2WRuC.jpg
wTbpJxH.jpg
9fuZjJd.jpg
hKouupb.jpg

She will be black with red interior as shown above. The radiator will be red too, but I am thinking about the wheels, red or silver?

• Like 8

Absolutely delighted to see another MG TC joining us. @CliffBhas a lovely completed one in the Gallery.

Wheel colour entirely what you fancy, coloured wheels seem to be all the rage with @Black KnightKnightand his pals, my mum and dad's TC had silver wheels.

Best of luck with this one.

Cheers Pat

I have a feeling that the TC originally had silver painted wheels.  For what it's worth I prefer silver painted wire wheels to chrome plated wires.

I have primed most parts. Normally I don't with enamals, but I want a smooth finish of the gloss black. The doors have got a bag (?) and will get a lock later.

tKIUEB8.jpg

I have dechromed the wheels, using Drano, a drain cleaner. The tyres are very hard and the internal diameter is too small for the wheels. So I had to sand the rims at the outside until the wheels fitted into the tyres.

T4FUx2n.jpg

Next steps are the engine (red) and putting the body together before airbrushing.

• Like 6

On 05/03/2022 at 12:23, paul-muc said:

The radiator will be red too, but I am thinking about the wheels, red or silver?

Radiator slats should match the interior trim and TC wheels were always painted silver, never chromed. Body-coloured wheels were pre-War.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with the tyres on an old Protar motorbike kit. Although the wheel rims are two separate sides - like a split rim-the tyre was too tight and inflexible to let the sides meet in the middle. I gave one a long dunk in hot water and found a former of suitable diameter, pushed the tyre on and let the whole thing cool. Definitely put a bit of life back into the vinyl tyre and the rims pushed in nicely. 

These old vintage cars are great, and none nicer than an MG. Lovely 😀👍

• Like 2

The paint job seemed to be good so far, but ....
When removing the masking tape I took also off a bit of paint along the wheel arch on the left side. I am repairing that now with brush and sanding, but perhaps I have to airbrush that part again.

Wnezv2X.jpg
ywYNJuY.jpg
qmayrNY.jpg
5xa1LuM.jpg
tS1ha4S.jpg

@rob Little

I have sanded the rims further down. Now they fit.

• Like 6

Another little point on colours, if I may?

The gearbox casing should match the cylinder block and head, but the conical clutch bell-housing was bare aluminium.

Early cars had grey engines and gearboxes, later ones red. Also early cars had grey scuttles (a different shade!) while later ones were body colour. The change-overs took place about the same time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Very nice progress Paul and looking good in black/red. 

However, I'm not sure that the horizontal engine is exactly right for the MG :winkgrin:!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting for the sun to come to take some photos. But now with cloudy skies and snow in the air I have used a flashlight for illumination. The parts of the body aren't yet cemented together. I wanted to show the frame with the motor first. For the chrome stripes I have used Molotow Liquid Chrome.

z59Zm4L.jpg
SJsuUo6.jpg
mQCA0me.jpg
8R0sFoH.jpg

Now she already looks a bit like the reference car in the title.

• Like 7

I would like to say "Finished", but the most difficult part is still ahead. I want to replace the spokes of the plastic wheels by wire (copper, 0,15 mm). That means 16 spokes at the front, 32 spokes at the back.  Brandy has shown with the SSKL that this is possible. And those wheels are much more complicated.

jq5RDXS.jpg
DoODNBd.jpg
wRozgLK.jpg
ZKUKRO9.jpg
IBU2Apk.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

This was my attempt with homemade wire wheels, not very convincing.

ySE9QbT.jpg

The wire has been glued to hub and rim and that is not so exact as with drilled holes. So, when I got light problems with my eyes and when I thought of nine further hubs and rims I stopped it and made the others in the traditional way which is oob. The spare wheel should not be used but all in all she is finished now.

OsG8tTZ.jpg
D1XmLeC.jpg
8DFqBZT.jpg
FGLqlhV.jpg

• Like 7

Love these Matchbox MG's and this is another that has turned out brilliantly. Very well done Paul, you should be very proud of that, a model fit for display in anyone's cabinet. 

Cheers, thanks for your contributions and well modelled.. Dave