1: 48 scale Sword Lightning T5 XS458 LTF RAF Binbrook 1988

My next Lightning is a Sword T5 as used at Lightning Training Flight, RAF Binbrook in 1988.

XS458-9

I will be following the same process as I did on XM995 which is detailed on another WIP. When I get towards the end of a build there is often a lot of waiting time after each stage of detailing, why not start another Lightning?

I will only show details / photos of any stages I didn't show d on the XM995 build.

20220303_110343

The wings and fuselage need careful removal from the sprue. I snip them off with snips well clear of the parts them trim back carefully with a scalpel. I then tidy up with an emery board.

20220127_164613

The wheel wells were painted at this stage and the undercarriage fixing points were drilled out, one is too shallow and the other is non-existent

Holes were drilled out on each fuselage half for exhausts and the ATGB.

20220303_104327

20220303_104347

20220303_104354

Red Top Tip

When building the Sword Lightnings, having faced the challenges and overcome them, don't leave it too long before benefitting on your learning by building another one!

• Like 1

Update on XS458...

The wings are now together and test fitted to each fuselage half.

20220311_140858

The flaps have a lot of runner feeds on which means a progressive trimming process as described on the wings above ie. Snips, scalpel then emery board to finish off. 

20220309_132341

Red Top Tip

The flaps do not need to be fitted at the stage when you glue the 2 halves of the wing together with  the danger of fixing them permanently!!! They can be eased into the wing after the wing parts are set by fitting the thick end into the wing and carefully flexing the small end into the wing.

20220311_140858

LightningBoy

Edited by LightningBoy
Typo

Progress on hold whilst the finishing touches are put to XM995 (see WIP)

The fuselage halves have had the cockpit and intake trunking fitted and weights added in the form of nuts from the Pound Shop.

20220317_003233

Now to progressively glue the 2 halves together, bit by bit.

Red Top Tips

Pad out the nose weight with BlueTac to stop it separating when all the fuselage is glued together.

It is virtually impossible to see down the intake on a Sword Lightning, next time I'm going to fix some weight in front of the No1 Engine compressor;

LightningBoy