HK Models Avro Lancaster 1/48

Colin W

Realising time is running out now to get this done. I have clipped the wings on to get the upper camouflage pattern marked out. Certainly 'big' now!

IMG_20220525_133746062 (2)

Wings and tail are only clipped on revealing the excellent engineering of this kit.

• Like 11

I spent most of yesterday afternoon and this morning masking then about 20 mins painting the green.

IMG_20220526_110256216

Tonight a quick strip to reveal something like what I am aiming for

IMG_20220526_145803483

The wings and tail are still not fitted properly.

I will have to finish the masking and paint the turrets soon.

• Like 10

Well after a lot of time spent masking and a minimal amount of painting I have finished the 3 turrets. All now ready for assembly.

Turrets

I ordered some decals from the big H last weekend but no sign of them yet. Once they arrive I'll choose the final layout and have this finished, hopefuy before the deadline!

• Like 9

I had to split the upper turret again as the initial assembly didnt fit inside the glazing. Not clear on the instructions but there's ony 1 way to build this.

The new decals from Hannants finally arrived . The first 2 sheets are from Xtradecal, the last is the Kits World stenci set. This must have been intended for the Tamiya kit as its actualy less comprehensive than the kit decals. 

IMG_20220608_185312326

Kit decals

IMG_20220608_194351449

Actually the kit decals are quite good.

None of the roundels were the correct size with the Xtradecals being the best fit for colour. I used these but they were printed slightly out of register and left a white rim around one side. They also crinkled under the applicatioin of Future.

IMG_20220609_055516691

Aftera bit of fettling I ripped them off and decided to paint my own on the upper wings. The fuselage effect is less noticable so these look OK.

Current state of the model is  like this...

IMG_20220609_192057538

The red is to be painted on the wings once the blue is dry and then the stencils from the kit can be applied. Then I can start to weather like a 100 mission bomber would have looked!

• Like 9

Progress is quickening as I get closer to finishing this.

All the decals and stencils are now on and I've started the weathering as befits a plane with 100 missions on the clock.

Patches of lightened and darkened primaty paints covered with a dark wash and started to appy some 'Smoke' to the exhaust areas.

IMG_20220611_170514570

• Like 9

On 6/13/2022 at 9:21 AM, Mancunian airman said:

A local aircraft to me: 625 at Kelstern  . . . looking really good

Indeed, the blurb with the decals says 625 Sqn RAF Kelstern Lincs, Apri 1945 with 93 missions and 7 from "Op manna"=100 Ops.

Op manna was the dropping of food to German occupied Holland in 1945.

I chose this AC as it has a Kiwi on the nose and hence must have a New Zeaand link but so far it has eluded me as to what it is. Wiki says there were a coupleof Aussie pilots in the squadron but I'm sure they woud not paint a Kiwi on their planes. Based on the expression 'I support New Zealand and whoever is playing Australia', the feeling is mutual.

Here is the model today. Weathering is quite heavy as would be expected from a plane with 97-100 missions. I'll pop the wings and turrets on plus all the areials next. This should be easy but with temperatures hitting 29 degrees and no A/C modeling inside is not too pleasant at the moment.

IMG_20220616_202520542

Colin

• Like 7

I'm quite close to finishing this now with just aerials and turrents to add. I see though that we have a 2 weeks extension so I might have time to build the armament...

IMG_20220617_175721188

• Like 8

I took advantage of the exceent fit to pop the wings off to allow me to work on the sections separately. This has made it a ot easier to work on the 'exposed' engine.  The engine bearers are made from plastic rod and chanel painted green. I am just adding the red coloured wiring.

The turrets are finally complete and the extension of th e build time has allowed time to build a full bomb load. The bombs were excellent needing only a light wipe with a 800 sanding stick.

The radar and dome are also in the picture.

IMG_20220620_094530099

The chosen scheme has a radar for which the kit incudes the radome but since half is transparent and there is nothing inside, I thought I would knock up a simple dish from the spares bin. It will be hard to see, even if you turn it over and look hard with a torch.

Here is the dish mounted under the rear fuseage and waiting for the cover to be fitted.

IMG_20220620_094709042

• Like 6

Well I'm calling this done. Just scraping in before the original deadline thanks to Fathers Day and a rail strike giving me enough free tome to polish off the last few items and get it done.

A really excellent kit delivering every opportunity for a great model. I have to admit to a few mistakes and I dont really understand why you get 4 engines but no support cradle but they are very welcome to add interest and provide the opportunity for a bit of scratch building.

So here is PB150 CF-V of 625 Squadrom RAF Kelstern Lincolnshire, April 1945, after 93 operational missions and 7 food drops into Holland. Obviousy chosen for the NZ link which was clarified by Peter Mossong as being from PO TG Wilson RNZAF, who completed 22 ops in PB150, completing his tour and being gazetted for the DFC, eventualy returning to Auckland.

IMG_20220621_135219339

IMG_20220621_135240917

IMG_20220621_135307105

Who remembers the days when we always got a full load of bombs?

IMG_20220621_135343754

I'll take some more pics for the gallery but its a bit too big for my normal set up!

Colin

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

Looks to be a lovely finish but those two items on the top of the fuselage behind the canopy are not wartime and probably copied off PA474 . . . .

are you sure? Its very hard to find definitive information about aerials and beacons.?

The finished model is posted in the galery but here are a few more pictures

IMG_9609

IMG_9596

IMG_9606

The 1/48 Avro collection.

IMG_9639

Thanks to those who commented and contributed to the build.

Colin

• Like 5