THE ELEPHANT, ITALY 1944 - COMPLETE

Evening all.......finally finished the Elephant......:thumbsup:.. It's been on the bench since March 2019, nearly as long as it took to design and build these things in the first place....:laugh:

I'm still pondering some additional dried splashed mud or not.....I need to be in the right frame of mind to not over do it, if I do at all.

Anyway, here she is with a figure to give it some scale.

Cheers all....:yes:

Simon.

p?i=2158091f3dc1d6695aff3e0e58497261

p?i=e97d2c146a700549dae8979fad4caf12

p?i=5221b8cf1cbf328e52ed396438644381

p?i=e7c0471196a57100149e2e5f69350d7c

p?i=8844e55113bbe368625d6c610a181470

p?i=3f9d28b253fbba43a44ceb06160f8c37

• Like 50

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Top, top modelling. Wonderfully painted and the figure highlights what a monster it is. Bravo. 👏

1 hour ago, edjbartos said:

Beautiful work Simon, another cracking looking model with lots of lovely details to look at...👍

Ed

Thanks both........took some time, but I'm very happy with the results. Intend to take it to MAFVA meet tomorrow for the rest of the member's to take a look....

• Like 1

Very impressive painting and weathering Simon, the figure really does give the tank some scale. :like:   After re-reading the build thread I must remove my digit and build mine with that lovely (but expensive) Atak zimmerit

• Thanks 1

Cheers Bob, yeah the ATAK isn't cheap, even more so since Brexit and COVID. I have though set myself a challenge on the next required build to do my own Zim'. Never done it before, so will have to do some trials first. Do you have this Dragon Elephant, or another make?

Regards

Simon.

7 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Do you have this Dragon Elephant, or another make?

I have a couple of Dragon Elephants and a Ferdinand in the stash.  As I said, I just have to get round to building them. 🙄

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to THE ELEPHANT, ITALY 1944 - COMPLETE
22 hours ago, StuartH said:

Stunning work. The level of realism to the finish you've achieved is off the charts. 

Mud effects are absolutely perfect  👏 👏

Thanks Stuart. Mud effects are something I've steered away from in the past not wanting to mess up a final project, but took the full plunge on this one with pigments. I'm yet to try mud effects from MIG which I picked up recently. Maybe on a King Tiger I'm working on at present.

22 hours ago, LeeM said:

Excellent finish. A superb piece. Pity not on a diorama.

Thanks Lee, and yes I do have to take the plunge on a diorama at some point this year. I might get my present project off the bench and have a go. Better when the warm weather comes as it can be a messy affair; so outside could help.

17 hours ago, junco said:

Seen this for real today, excellent finish, hopefully Simon will bring along when our Mafva club attends some shows this year?

Neil

Hi Neil, cheers mate and yes it will make and I hope a couple of finalised projects been wanting attention over the last couple of years. See you at the next meet.....:yes:

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have a couple of Dragon Elephants and a Ferdinand in the stash.  As I said, I just have to get round to building them. 🙄

Hi Bob, I might invest in the Ferdinand and do the Kursk version at some point if I see one for a good price. Make one of them the first one you kick off after all the chores you've been saddled with.........

And a general thanks to all who've dropped by and commented.......:yes:

That really is very good Simon,

I think the weathering is just right and the damaged fender is very nicely done. The figure certainly helps to give an idea of the size of these things.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Bob, I might invest in the Ferdinand and do the Kursk version at some point if I see one for a good price. Make one of them the first one you kick off after all the chores you've been saddled with.........

I must finish off some of my started projects first, Simon, but you know what that is like...Then there is the M3/M4 GB starting soon that I have a couple of entries for. :unsure:

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I must finish off some of my started projects first, Simon, but you know what that is like...Then there is the M3/M4 GB starting soon that I have a couple of entries for. :unsure:

I'm exactly in the same place Bob, I've set myself the task of finalising......let me count....1,2,3, mmmmm 4, 5............12 :unamused:  yep 12.......love to know where they all bloody came from :o

Some may just get retired to the salvage yard to be broken up for parts.

I must look out to see if there's a suitable GB I can look at......at least it gives me an excuse to start a new kit....:laugh:

:yes:

• Haha 1

Hi Simon, 

A terrific model!, the authentic vehicle is very interesting, and you have made the kit look very much like a real one, full of detail and nuances of tones, something solid and consistent.
And the figure is the icing on the cake. really well done, I would love to do something like that, and I'd settle for at least half...lol.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Simon, 

A terrific model!, the authentic vehicle is very interesting, and you have made the kit look very much like a real one, full of detail and nuances of tones, something solid and consistent.
And the figure is the icing on the cake. really well done, I would love to do something like that, and I'd settle for at least half...lol.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Francis, thanks for that....appreciate it, and makes the effort worth while. Three years in the making, but a good subject to experiment on as it has broad large areas to try things out on........as good as the Hunting Tiger. My advice to anyone is experiment, experiment and try out different mediums.......on this I started using liquid watercolours......mixed with matt varnish and airbrushed. It's more of a transparent use of colour rather than paint which can hide effects and colours beneath.....learnt a lot also with pigments to create the mud on wheels and lower chassis......might try some different next time than using only pigments to build up heavy mud deposits.

Anyway, that's enough of my ramblings..........thanks again mate.....:yes:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I must look out to see if there's a suitable GB I can look at......at least it gives me an excuse to start a new kit....:laugh:

If only there was an Elephant/Ferdinand GB coming up. :wicked:  That would kick start my build.

I tried to finish off an early Porsche turreted KT that is 90%+ done, but I cannot find where I put the tracks for safe keeping. :shrug:

IMG_1243

They are the Fruil early 5 part links, I assembled them and was waiting for burnishing fluid to come from Poland over a year ago.  One day I will open a box and there they will be,

I bet I will have run out of burnishing fluid when that day arrives. :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1