US Interior Green WW2

franky boy

:worms:

(Oooh looks what's just been opened.....)

In all seriousness though, It's one of those questions on colour that has a whole heap of answers! The sort of question on quiz shows "We asked 100 people..." you'll get 100 answers. I've just done a quick search on the forums using the search term "Interior Green" and there were 84 pages of return, refined to US Interior green, and a more manageable 5 pages came up :- (copy and paste this into your browser)

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q="US interior green"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=23&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Personally, I don't use Humbrol (can only use acrylics, and they stopped 226 in the acrylic line) so cant testify to the accuracy, but I have used Vallejo. and Xtracrylic and they seem ok. Someone did do a comparison chart on BM a while back, might have been in the paints sub-forum under the Tools & Tips section. At present I use Tamiya paints, and one of their recommended paints in a kit was XF-5, bit dark, but looks ok! I'm not one for total accuracy anyway (especially if it cant be seen), and besides none of my kits get exhibited, and no-one else in my house is a plane nut so no else knows the difference!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

:worms:

(Oooh looks what's just been opened.....)

In all seriousness though, It's one of those questions on colour that has a whole heap of answers! The sort of question on quiz shows "We asked 100 people..." you'll get 100 answers. I've just done a quick search on the forums using the search term "Interior Green" and there were 84 pages of return, refined to US Interior green, and a more manageable 5 pages came up :- (copy and paste this into your browser)

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q="US interior green"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=23&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Personally, I don't use Humbrol (can only use acrylics, and they stopped 226 in the acrylic line) so cant testify to the accuracy, but I have used Vallejo. and Xtracrylic and they seem ok. Someone did do a comparison chart on BM a while back, might have been in the paints sub-forum under the Tools & Tips section. At present I use Tamiya paints, and one of their recommended paints in a kit was XF-5, bit dark, but looks ok! I'm not one for total accuracy anyway (especially if it cant be seen), and besides none of my kits get exhibited, and no-one else in my house is a plane nut so no else knows the difference!

Thanks Ed 

I thought it would be the proverbial can of worms. I’ve always used Gunze Aqueous, H55 I think it is, but my old jar has run out and they’ve apparently changed the colour a bit. I’ve found a tin of Humbrol 226 in the paint drawer and wondered if it was goer as it is labelled interior green.

Thanks again

James

It depends - there is no single "interior green". If you look at the work done by Dana Bell (sorry don't have the link to hand), each manufacturer seems to have their own approach to interiors. For example, I'm currently working on a Vindicator, and in this case Bronze Green (Humbrol 75) seems to be a reasonable choice.

Hu 226 might be a reasonable match in some cases.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It will depend upon the aircraft.  What are you wanting to do?  (Not that I know which ones H226 is good for, but somebody will.)

Hi Graham

I was thinking P40N and a Bearcat. 

James

From the P-40N Erection/Maintenance Instructions:

Cockpit green: The finish referred to herein as "cockpit green" shall be compounded using the following materials:

Zinc Chromate Primer – AN-TT-P-656

Tinting Paste – M-542

Color shall conform to ANA Bulletin No. 157, Color No. 601[sic], "Interior Green". (error: should be ANA 611)

For the Bearcat, see here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/233584-f8f-colors-on-the-bearcat/

Here are some cross-reference charts for military aircraft colors: https://jpr-guide.tripod.com/index.html

The chart for ANA suggests Humbrol 226 for Interior Green.

Edited by Space Ranger

Curtiss used a locally-sourced "interior green" that was (at least to my eye) greyer/browner than standard, I usually mix it from yellow zinc chromate and a brownish olive drab.  From what I can see via the internet, H226 is drabber and not quite as green as Interior Green, so it might be an acceptable match for a casual build.  I'd be tempted to add a touch of yellow to it for highlights.

My guess is that by the time Bearcats were rolling off the production line, Grumman had access to proper Interior Green.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Curtiss used a locally-sourced "interior green" that was (at least to my eye) greyer/browner than standard, I usually mix it from yellow zinc chromate and a brownish olive drab.  From what I can see via the internet, H226 is drabber and not quite as green as Interior Green, so it might be an acceptable match for a casual build.  I'd be tempted to add a touch of yellow to it for highlights.

My guess is that by the time Bearcats were rolling off the production line, Grumman had access to proper Interior Green.

Curtiss and Bell did either mix or got a proprietary mix for their cockpits and interiors; the Curtiss green having a yellowish cast and the Bell green having a more blue-grey cast. My fellow Texan Mike, aka @Space Ranger is also correct that interior or cockpit green was basically a mix of yellow zinc chromate and the tinting ;paste, which IIRC was black; based upon the amount of black added, the resulting interior green, aka ANA 611, could and did vary quite a bit, but as Dana Bell has pointed out, there is no record of a supplied paint sample being rejected in WW2...sooo mix away!

I use enamels and the Modelmaster ANA 611, interior green, and the old (read best!) Humbrol 226, U.S. interior green are very good matches for interior green, ABA 611, FS 34151. Gunze Mr. Color 303 US interior green, FS 34151 is also a very good acrylic. There are several other paint suppliers that offer this color, but the ones I have listed are the ones I have and have used. I also mix my own, as many others have done, by combining YZC with black until I get the desired color. The Bell interior green  is a little harder to mix, as it has a blue/grey cast

Mike

Yes, Grumman did use the ANA 611 interior green for the Bearcat, including the inner surfaces of the gear doors; IIRC parts of the wheel bays were also interior green- you can read  Tommy  Thomason's Tail Hook Topics website article on Bearcat colors for everything a modeler needs to know. See the link below. 

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/07/f8f-bearcat-wheels-and-wheel-wells.html

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the "Curtiss finish specifications S-517 - all export airplane -1939" and "S-615 - P36 and P40 airplanes", in the EMM P-40F , Curtiss

gave the following formula for interior finish paint called "cockpit-green" or "yellow-green finish"

·         zinc chromate primer                    1.0 gallon

·         enamel, black                                 0.1 gallon

·         aluminium paste grain 320            4.0 ounces

·         toluol                                              2.0 gallons

In the EMM of P-40N, the aluminium paste was removed and it was tinted to match "interior green ANA 601"

• Thanks 1

I just checked my brushed sample of Humbrol 226 against the ANA 611 sample in Monogram's camouflage book.  226 needs a small amount of white or cream as it is too dark and green to meet the standard. Certainly too dark as is for a model interior.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike Starmer said:

I just checked my brushed sample of Humbrol 226 against the ANA 611 sample in Monogram's camouflage book.  226 needs a small amount of white or cream as it is too dark and green to meet the standard. Certainly too dark as is for a model interior.

Yes, it is kinda on the dark side;  To be honest, my original tin has only been opened, stirred, and sprayed once to see how well it matched my FS595a chip chart, but I have saved it for any 1/48 models I build, as I think it's OK for the larger scales.

Mike

• Like 1

I can't claim this is to be a panacea but on my P40 and my current F6F-3 I've used Colourcoats ACUS09/Interior Green and it looks OK to me and does the job in terms of it being the right colour green that it should be.

Of course others who are looking for far greater accuracy may well, and will, dig considerably deeper to get an exact match by type/manufacturer/year of production etc.

Regards

Colin.

Hello guys,

I studied an Airacobra, which is in its original paint. The green colour in the cockpit and on landing gear legs is darker and more olive than Hu 226. I created my own mix using Hu 150 as a base. Correct colour shade NCS S7020-G70Y looks like this:

spacer.png

Hopefully this is of interest.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

Hello Seawinder,

this is P-39Q-15-BE, AAF serial no. 44-2664. What do you think? Bronze Green or something else? Mike (72modeler) suspected, that the colour might be "Bell Green".

Cheers,

Antti

3 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Seawinder,

this is P-39Q-15-BE, AAF serial no. 44-2664. What do you think? Bronze Green or something else? Mike (72modeler) suspected, that the colour might be "Bell Green".

Cheers,

Antti

I'm afraid I don't have an answer that's more than speculation. One question hard to answer: what exactly was "Bell Green?" According to this thread, it was just a local variation of "Interior Green," presumably some sort of Zinc Chromate/black mix:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69013-airacobra-bell-green/

• Like 1