F-35s flying fully 'zipped up' for the first time

Alan P

F-35As have been flying within hostile radar reception without Luneburg reflectors for the first time.

2022-03-04_10-29-59

https://theaviationist.com/2022/03/02/f-35-without-reflectors-over-poland/

This is something of a risk...the 'raw data' RCS is usually kept hidden from potential enemy ELINT sources. 

Disclaimer: I imagine Israel has done this before having already used the jet in combat, but this is the first public reveal that I know of.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, junglierating said:

You know I am surprised the US DoD have released this ...still interesting 

It shows a confidence in the capability that they're willing to show a potential adversary exactly what they'd be going up against. It's a 'come at me bro' move that hopefully will send the required message!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

A good reference for modellers! (I'm still waiting for a good B model in 48th though)

Israel have used their -35's in a recon role / elint capability for quite a while now.

It has been interesting seeing Rivet Joint aircraft patrolling the border areas and there must be a massive amount of info being gathered in serveral different guises.

Also, the standing locations of Voyager and KC- platforms would indicate that there are a lot of aircraft of all types, needing to be refuelled...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hairystick said:

It has been interesting seeing Rivet Joint aircraft patrolling the border areas and there must be a massive amount of info being gathered in several different guises.

Also, the standing locations of Voyager and KC- platforms would indicate that there are a lot of aircraft of all types, needing to be refuelled...

Nice to see that tankers and reconnaissance/intelligence gathering aircraft from several NATO nations have been on those stations - also sending a  message = we stand together (again, at last !). I suspect there may be quite a few lurking aircraft, not visible - and then occasionally popping up with ident before going dark again.

My RAF contacts 'cannot possibly comment' of course !   A consistent patient message is what is needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hairystick said:

I'm still waiting for a good B model in 48th though

Good luck with that! Who's going to grasp that particular nettle 🤔 it's a nightmare to design, Kitty Hawk did a pretty good job considering (egregious tooling problems aside!)

5 hours ago, AV O said:

Wishful thinking - but it will no doubt reassure the domestic population whom it's aimed at. People don't necessarily want the facts, they want to hear what makes them comfortable.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AV O said:

Is this a parody site 🤔 If it is, it's hilarious.

This is wishful thinking. Since this system was first used offensively in 2014, the F-35 has been progressively updated with a countermeasure to render the effects negligible. Also, Murmansk-BN doesn't jam GPS or satellite comms, that's a different (much shorter-range system).

I call BS.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Nice to see that tankers and reconnaissance/intelligence gathering aircraft from several NATO nations have been on those stations - also sending a  message = we stand together (again, at last !). I suspect there may be quite a few lurking aircraft, not visible - and then occasionally popping up with ident before going dark again.

My RAF contacts 'cannot possibly comment' of course !   A consistent patient message is what is needed.

Non NATO as well, I saw a Swedish Air Force Gulfstream IV running a pattern last night just west of the Belarus/Ukrainian border. Normally he stay’s out over the water just west of Kaliningrad. I wonder if they got permission from NATO to train ? Or are they actually trying to assist NATO ? 

56 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Non NATO as well, I saw a Swedish Air Force Gulfstream IV running a pattern last night just west of the Belarus/Ukrainian border. Normally he stay’s out over the water just west of Kaliningrad. I wonder if they got permission from NATO to train ? Or are they actually trying to assist NATO ? 

The Swedes have very good reasons to want to find out as much as they can about the Russian processes being used here ; they frequently have to deter Russian intrusions, whether they happen in error or deliberately.  Military fighters recently, submarines and surface vessels in the past. So this matters very topically for Sweden. 

Given the close professional relationship and respect between the Swedes and elements of NATO, probably this will be co-ordinated even if only informally - after all that would be the sensible minimum, if only to avoid clashes. 

Since Russia is being so, understandably 'over sensitive' just now, I am also sure no-one would confirm that anyway.

• Like 2

Everyone is taking advantage of the red systems "lighting up" and displaying what they have to play with.

Intel gathering and electronic signature diagnostics will be a very busy occupation at the moment. Sending a message via courier pigeon will be coming back into fashion soon...

17 hours ago, AV O said:

Along with RT, they make two of the most unreliable sources of "news". A bedtime fairy-story would have more reliable info in it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Swedes have been flying that same pattern daily since at least 2 weeks before the invasion started. The Finns have also had their Learjet flying in the Baltic up and down that narrow band of international airspace between them and Russia. As @hairystick says everyone in the region is taking advantage of the opportunity to listen in.

Duncan B

10 hours ago, Duncan B said:

The Swedes have been flying that same pattern daily since at least 2 weeks before the invasion started. The Finns have also had their Learjet flying in the Baltic up and down that narrow band of international airspace between them and Russia. As @hairystick says everyone in the region is taking advantage of the opportunity to listen in.

Duncan B

I believe you, it waa just the first time Ive seen them go feet dry into Poland. Normally when I see them they are out over water near Kaliningrad. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2022 at 9:25 AM, John B (Sc) said:

The Swedes have very good reasons to want to find out as much as they can about the Russian processes being used here

Don't forget that their weapons industry likes to know about any threats, so they can devise new measures/countermeasures to update any existing weapons platforms or build into new systems.

It also seems that downed aircraft and weapons that didn't go "bang" (along with those captured by the Ukrainian Tractor Regiment) are supplying wonderful amounts of information to western nations...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hairystick said:

It also seems that downed aircraft and weapons that didn't go "bang" (along with those captured by the Ukrainian Tractor Regiment) are supplying wonderful amounts of information to western nations...

'Tis ever thus - all the best 'military secrets' get exposed quickly once used in action !   

It certainly seems that rather more of Russia's kit is going AWOL for re-use or examination than they might have hoped! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

dont believe what they say these days... 

never could really, 

But as far as that F35 going, the current government is how shall we say, more in line with the RED countries then they are with the Blue countries in terms of plitical feeling.