Bravo November to Join RAFM

Max Headroom

Apart from conversions to Mk2 and then Mk6 she is in her original shell. Hopefully they get her out of Odiham's main gate without mishap, as has happened to a few that have been low loaded out of there.

8 hours ago, hairystick said:

That's odd. The front of BN was at Hendon when I visited in '16.

That might be something made up to look like ZA718. We did something similar when I was on 18(B) Sqn, in that there was some sort of formal do I think at the RAF museum at Hendon and the people there wanted ZA718. Unfortunately ZA718 wa on a major servicing down at Fleetlands. So another Chinook was flown down there and some stickers were applied in the right places so that it looked from the outside as if it was ZA718(BN). These stickers were then removed when everyone had gone for the flight back to Odiham.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

That might be something made up to look like ZA718. We did something similar when I was on 18(B) Sqn, in that there was some sort of formal do I think at the RAF museum at Hendon and the people there wanted ZA718. Unfortunately ZA718 wa on a major servicing down at Fleetlands. So another Chinook was flown down there and some stickers were applied in the right places so that it looked from the outside as if it was ZA718(BN). These stickers were then removed when everyone had gone for the flight back to Odiham.

There was also an ex US Army -C nose dressed up as BN. Not sure if it’s still at Hendon.

Trevor

But the Battle of Britain Memorial flight is about the 2nd world war not the Falklands !!

5 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Because she is the one with the most pictoresque history among RAF Chinooks. Cheers

Jure

That's why she's going the Cosford.

3 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, tweeky

Falklands, Afghanistan, Iraq, probably also other minor deployments. Besides, Chipmunk is part of BBMF, too. Cheers

Jure

The reason the Chipmunck is on the BBMF is for one reason only and its nothing to do with the 2nd world war, the reason for the Chipmunk is The modern day RAF have NO tail dragging aircraft (not even as a trainer) so the There two Chippy's are there to give the required training to new pilots to the BBMF and also to keep the current BBMF pilots "currant" with tail dragging  A/C.

One of the two Chippy's is a cold war veteran having been stationed in Berlin in aerial photography role.

Mark    

Edited by tweeky
typo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Mark, obviously we disagree on that question. It hardly matters as I will not get my wish. Still, I very much like Bravo November. Cheers

Jure

So XM607 and Humphry too Should they be part of the BBMF?

If you add A/C like ZA718 to the BBMF surely this dilutes what the BBMF's is about. Its bad enough having the Lanc on the BBMF. 

Edited by tweeky

21 minutes ago, tweeky said:

. Its bad enough having the Lanc on the BBMF. 

Dakota ?

In any event it’s all a bit academic when Her Majesty’s Treasury is looking to cost cut. The Sparrows and the BBMF will do well just to survive and keeping costs down while profiles up is their only route to staying off the endangered list. 

Either that or my £120 million lottery win can keep them afloat. Nurse the medication is wearing off again ………

IIRC there were suggestions - almost certainly not official - that (in 1992) the Vulcan become part of an RAF Historical flight along with, probably, deluded ramblings that they could add a Phantom, Jaguar, Harrier and Buccaneer ala Swedish Historic Flight - if only.

At least as far as Vulcan is concerned that made sense at the time. In 1992 XH558 was flying as a part of RAF Vulcan display flight (and two other Vulcan bombers had been kept in high-speed taxi condition) eight years after the type had been retired from regular service. Cheers

Jure

On 3/8/2022 at 1:23 PM, tweeky said:

So XM607 and Humphry too Should they be part of the BBMF?

If you add A/C like ZA718 to the BBMF surely this dilutes what the BBMF's is about. Its bad enough having the Lanc on the BBMF. 

Cant help but notice you are holding on a bit tight 😀...all this jibber jabbar doesnt really matter it was a innocent harmless idea by someone who presumably speaks Serbo Croat as a first language...besides if you are going to be picky Humphrey is a Mk3 Wessex and is in the Fleet air arm museum....not that I'm a fan of FAAM but that is where it belongs which of course is your point about BN ....only you could have put it a bit more politely....maybe I've misread your drip in which case apologises 😘

• Like 2

Shame that BN isn`t filling the gap made by the Merlin leaving Hendon and joining the other helicopters in that corner of the hangar.  Hopefully it is just going to Cosford for some TLC

• 3 weeks later...