Combrig HMS Victoria 1/350

Progress on the upper deck. After shading and sealing it with some clear varnish, I finally finished masking it. I am sure every modeller has a task he is not keen on - masking is one for me. The most intricate parts on deck have masked over and will be painted by hand. One part I am nor sure about are the small round openings in the deck for coal. What were they made of - wood? Brass? Steel? I also added a picture of all the parts finished so far, giving an idea of the colors.

p?i=5b3cbb2810e10e1f6d04f2e7165c1952

p?i=e7c99affae16f1733562eb327214f3f7

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Micha_Pol said:

One part I am nor sure about are the small round openings in the deck for coal. What were they made of

I guess you mean where the coal was poured into the bunkers ?

I would imagine steel.

Brass or wood would be too soft to stand the wear.

Jon

Steel. I see different problem. Both props are the same, they shouldn't be since they were turning in opposite directions. Left one anticlockwise and right one clockwise. So these are both right props.

Edited by Michael M
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Michael M said:

Steel. I see different problem. Both props are the same, they shouldn't be since they were turning in opposite directions. Left one anticlockwise and right one clockwise. So these are both right props.

I agree. Just an other one of many oversights by Combrig, who did not bother to model two different screws. There is, unfortunately, no way for me to change this. Cutting off the blades and repositioning them will surely result in a mess. Making my own 2 screws entirely from scratch is also beyond my skills, unfortunately. I will have to just stick with it and call it "artistic license". BTW the screws and their relative angle are still clearly visible on the wreck, which is cool.

p?i=2a31477e5c35b4cbb87fd2acd7a7fa0f

Edited by Micha_Pol
  • Like 3

I have now finished the airbrushing work on the hull; while a ton of cleanup will be needed in many places, I am overall quite happy with it. It already conveys the beauty of Victorian ship colors. I have placed all the parts done so far to give a general idea of the layout, although nothing has been glued in placy as of now. There will be some light wash on the white parts to give depth and some very careful drybrushed highlights on the black ones.

p?i=22a6dfd8d9a7e17d359c8db218cc941c

p?i=40fb804675fb84041cc7eb3c93de6059

p?i=65576363e8f4dfad484bd485448777e8

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, Micha_Pol said:

Cutting off the blades and repositioning them will surely result in a mess.

Why not cut off the pointy bit (well I don’t know what it’s called), stick it on the other side and then drill a hole where the pointy bit was.

Jon

8 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Why not cut off the pointy bit (well I don’t know what it’s called), stick it on the other side and then drill a hole where the pointy bit was.

Jon

Because it will not change the rotation at all. Here is one screw turned around - nothing has changed, sadly. 

p?i=0a06c068fbb14ba2a2ca6c09add6ccf2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Micha_Pol said:

Just an other one of many oversights by Combrig, who did not bother to model two different screws.

Gidday, it's an annoying habit of Airfix too, although some of their kits have both. But not for HMS Hood so I scratch built my own. They were quite large, 7.5mm across. For the smaller ships they're too fiddly for me.

I have a couple of photos that show how I made them if you wish. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

Because it will not change the rotation at all. Here is one screw turned around - nothing has changed, sadly. 

Ah, I see. :doh:

I was just looking at your photo.
Jon

• 2 months later...

After a Modelling break (I painted tabletop miniatures instead) I am back working on her Majesty Victoria. I cleaned up the paintwork on the hull and glued on most parts that I had painted. Unfortunately I had massive problems with one of the paints, which resulted in a grainy, uneven coat of paint on the hull sides. It´s ugly, but I have to live with it. Next step will be sealing the hull and applying some inks/shades to show off the detail on the white ares. Probably some light drybrush on the black areas for the asme purpose. I will also work on the boats. Next, I shall have to finish the ATB guns (12 left) and start the much-dreaded task of building the boat-carrying structure.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

16 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Oh what an interesting choice of subject. It will be fascinating watching it grow.

Thank you. I love late 19th century warships, unfortuntely this is subject that has mostly been ignored by plastic model manufacturers, Turret and barbette ships are especially rare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Micha_Pol said:

Thank you. I love late 19th century warships, unfortuntely this is subject that has mostly been ignored by plastic model manufacturers, Turret and barbette ships are especially rare.

Ignored too by the makers of wooden models 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Ignored too by the makers of wooden models 🤷‍♂️

I was thinking more of the sail-less steel warships of the late 19th cent. like HMS Devastation, French battleship Charles Martell, HMS Powerful, SMS Victoria Louise etc. Not sure there would work out wel as wooden models...

I was thinking more of the sail-less steel warships of the late 19th cent. like HMS Devastation, French battleship Charles Martell, HMS Powerful, SMS Victoria Louise etc. Not sure there would work out wel as wooden models...

It can be done but it wouldn't be an easy build. There are 1/200 scale wooden models of Bismarck and Prinz Eugen on the market already.

More work done. I added the funnels, the cable reels and ventilators. I also made the turret ready for painting, it will recieve the same blue stripe as the hull so the barrels stay off for masking. The chain railings by Northstar models are beautiful but rather thin, I think they turned out well. 

p?i=2bffd7cee1c5eea842e3676d166c6f6c

p?i=4c6eec1517a064371d5d94dcc89401f2

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...

Finished building Victoria´s only mast. Apart from the two platforms, it is completely scratchbuilt. In fact, even those wore wrong, being done with a flat bottom instead of the "cone" they should have. The yardarms were bought from Master Model (they are great), while the rest was made from wood, brass rod ground to a narrow tip, medical needles and copper wire with some PE from various sources attached. Again, Brien King´s book provided crucial information. The mast carried three 47mm guns which I have already finished. They will be added last.

p?i=70ec71ba1f00261a99b0b54a7090cf3b

p?i=eb21c8cfa3ce74b9958e55e5045f1a53

• Like 13

I also painted the (only) turret, which still lacks the shading. I am happy with the way the blue stripe turned out, much better then on the hull. Also test-painted one of the two large steamboats, it´s beautiful. The littles screw has fallen off and has been stored away, I shall attach it once the boat is ready to be attached.

p?i=f0660c8cd00fb2ca412ad208e1e116a4

p?i=d34794facc061260a7dcf7090956f3f8

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

You know the song "Battleship Chains" from Volbeat´s "Seal the Deal" album? Well, here they are, battleship chains. In fact, it seem the Victorians were awfully worried their ship may drift away, since there are plenty of Anchors. Four anchor hawses (that the term?), but HMS Victoria never seems to have used more then 3 anchors. The kit came with PE chains, but I think they look very fake at 1/350 so I bought some "real" ones instead. The ship also had two small and two medium sized anchors attached to the hull further aft for good measure. I also painted the mast, it will recieve some washes but the colors are all there.

p?i=3386cbc3448c6e0ff579fdf488aa0307

p?i=c1f3fecde8bdabcdcb0968676e4e7d97

p?i=c61c6c2aec3f1916d3c04aea7bebcc04

• Like 12