PK-133 Westland Wessex HU5/HAS31 - Finished

With two in the gallery another almost finished and a fourth on the way, I thought it worth breaking out another one. This time it's an early Revell, but still Matchbox branded Westland Wessex. It's been in the stash a long time and as can be seen it was an absolute bargain, even when I got it. 

resized_5ec01a24-8b29-4db6-b19c-fe4e7dd5

The kit is on three grey plastic sprues which do have a fair amount of flash and mould lines on them but nothing that can't be dealt with. There are alternative parts, mainly the nose and exhausts for a Royal Navy HU5 or a Royal Australian Navy HAS 31. 

resized_9ff93478-0aa6-4ea7-9b31-bafa4f41

Single clear sprue with the parts shaped OK but a little on the thick side, albeit reasonably clear. 

resized_7e0f966e-51fe-4887-8400-e378d490

A single massive sheet of instructions

resized_0b81ca75-0d2e-4af4-9f03-0abd2cdc

and colour call outs and transfers for both versions. 

resized_65d16472-9fed-451f-8c5a-45160a8f

The transfers look OK albeit not quite up to modern best standards. I have however, used these Matchbox/Revell transfers from this time and they generally work fine. I do have sufficient in the stash, as well as a couple of Italeri Wessex's I can raid if need be. I'll  be building the HU5 as I like the colour scheme which is a bit different from most FAA schemes. 

• Like 5

Excellent, another Wessex in a nice Revell owned era box. Those decals look quite matt, however I'm sure they will still be usable. Just apply a nice gloss coat before and after their application. Then work out the final overall sheen after that. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave  

• Like 1

Thanks for the support @Rabbit Leader, @bigbadbadge, @Galligraphics, I'm hopeful this will turn out well. I did have one part built before but had problems with it. It's ended up in a shelf of doom after my attempt at removing paint was disastrous. The moulding on this one isn't that great, I don't know if it was the original MB mould or it deteriorated when Revell got it. It's not quite as crisp as most MB plastic but nothing that can't be sorted out, although the plastic is quite hard. I've started by getting some paint on. 

resized_1f92a7bb-7c41-429e-93c0-38ad757f

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Wessex is coming along. Som so far the sub assemblies done. 

resized_3a9e5ff1-453b-463a-9f61-f01ce041

and the interior all painted up and inserted. The harness made up from some strips of Tamiya tape. 

resized_760e7cdd-aea8-493f-b597-5c846488

resized_c3b18de0-2291-41d3-896c-ff6c3c58

• Like 3

Fuselage closed up and som elf the large parts added. 

resized_d3f33178-2564-4f45-804e-1ae7fea5

resized_c9a29a4e-0633-400c-b308-744c14cb

and then lots of smaller pieces added. 

resized_35cf78a9-d544-48a6-890e-8db01f01

The windows masked off and once the canopy is on it'll be time for paint. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looking really sharp, I do hope that canopy is nice and clear so you can still see that interior 

Cheers Pat 

It is Pat, a little bit on the thick side, but lovely and clear. The side windows are also separate so I might leave one open. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 11:53 AM, Galligraphics said:

Looking good :clap:

Thanks, it's building up to a nice looking Wessex. 

The fuselage is pretty well finished and has its first layers of Light Stone on. I'll mask the demarcation for the underside before painting the dark Green. 

resized_f2bd03dd-e398-4902-8f46-11466ef2

• Like 5

On 3/25/2022 at 2:30 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

The Wessex is looking really great 825 and that stone / green scheme is certainly a good one. Nice progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, I've now got a few coats of green on which looks really dark in comparison to the Light Stone although it is the right colour and never looks this dark when used with other schemes. Hopefully once the transfers are on will even things out. 

resized_0f164f87-8566-4d20-bf0f-f25889f6

On 3/25/2022 at 6:51 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice indeed, recently purchased the Italeri kit and already have a Frog Wessex too so one will be one in blue and yellow from HMS Centaur in Aden.  

Great work on yours.

Chris

I've got an Italeri Wessex in the stash as well Chris and am thinking about a Falklands conflict one. Though the blue and yellow scheme is a good look as well. 

• Like 4

Masking off and some touching up done. Ready for most of the transfers now. 

resized_0f164f87-8566-4d20-bf0f-f25889f6

• Like 4

On 3/29/2022 at 11:20 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff @825

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat. Sorry haven't posted anything for a few days. Things have been a little busy with work and having to devote some time to look after Mrs 825 who has been a bit poorly. On the mend now thankfully. 

Today I removed the masking from the cabin windows and got some of the transfers on. Now really looking like a 1960's Commando carrying Wessex. Overall went on fine but a lot of care needed for the yellow strips around the windows. I've only done one and will let it dry before dealing with its partner. 

resized_979ed6d9-53ae-412e-b3f3-94c79f98

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 11:09 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Looking great, and please to hear Mrs 825 is on the mend :like:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat. Mrs 825 is definitely on the mend as she is now telling us all what dhould be done. Whether one thinkinks the right way forward or not. 

• Like 1

Now there's been a bit of a hiatus I apppreciate, looking after Mrs825 then a weekend in the south of France to watch a bit of rugby. And then a full in week at work including a day, which should have been my recovery day, overseeing a vaccination clinic for kids. Actually quite enjoyable as between doing my professional job in the clinic I spent giving out biscuits to kids who had just had their COVID jabs. 

By and by I have spent a bit of time on the Wessex, finished the transfers and got the wheels on. The tail wheel took an inordinate amaount of time to work out. The instructions are not very helpful! Anyway here's where we are. All the transfers on, the undercarriage and wheels sorted.   

resized_d4403b67-4d64-4d07-b821-203dfb9a

It's certainly a Walter, and looking like the Wessex I remember from Bulwark.  A wee bit still to do, mostly the rotors and a few other bits. I'll do the transfers on the blades to make sure they're reasonably OK.  Then not much to do to get to the gallery. 

resized_9bffe63b-c231-48e3-bf41-7db4e5c0

• Like 6

Nearly all the final parts on. Some paint touching up done before a coat of varnish. I think the originals were finished in matt but I think I'll use some Satin as the all seemed to be kept very clean. If anyone knows otherwise then please let me know. 

resized_53e9f1e2-3507-4941-9a41-f57978ad

resized_363f1637-43b6-423b-996e-78d4f2df

The rotors almost finished. The tail rotor transfers were a pain and I'm not 100% I've got the positioning of the coloured bands on the main rotors correct but they are all consistent. A bit of trimming will be needed and then I'll see if I can pull it all together with some varnish. 

resized_41e76e70-d54b-40ec-b552-f27d6fb7

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 10:31 PM, bigbadbadge said:

This looks lovely 825, it's really coming together well.  Glad to hear Mrs 825 is getting better too.

Chris

Thanks Chris. On the home stretch now. I gave the whole airframe a coat of Satin varnish to pull it all together. I know it should be a matt finish but all the photographs I've seen show these aircraft kept in pristinely condition, even on active duty so I thought a Satin finish was probably a better scale effect. Canopy unmasked and the side windows attached along with the flotation devices. 

resized_a00ca9dd-3173-4293-a273-38c1f4f1

resized_004072bf-b0f5-4da1-b168-a4987d84

The main rotor assembled which took a lot longer and was more fiddly than expected. I broke one of the supports of the basket shaped piece under the rotor and had to replace it with a sliver of plastic card. A couple more were needed to get al the parts to meet up. Also the square hole for the rotor post required opening up in the parts too. 

resized_a25acd14-42bf-4e91-8c25-c9075bfe

The transfers on the flotation devices to go on, the windscreen wipers, which are already painted and then the rotor needs some varnishing and we'll be done. 

• Like 3