IBG 1/35 Scammell Pioneer FINISHED

JeroenS

I went ahead and glued the cab to the chassis. It always gives a nice feeling of progress.

20220413100850-b40cd18f-me.jpg

It was a bit of a struggle though. In the end I had to shave some material off the underside, and I had to cut off the fuel tank so that will need replacing. 

20220413100851-ffb761c4-me.jpg

Shouldn't be too hard to do. I think I'll attach the recovery bed after that so I can spray a clear coat over the whole thing, then finish up the work on the cab and such. 

• Like 6

Hi all, tonight I glued the recovery bed in place, and I re-attached the fuel tank. 

20220414213205-88737bb7-me.jpg

20220414213204-aeb3da7a-me.jpg

Roof still dry fitted. I can do touch ups now, and glue the toolbox in place on the right side of the cab. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

That's bright 🕶️

Yup... Although the pictures show it brighter than it actually is.

20 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Thanks H, good to see you here!

Cheers Dude. You know I like to copy your homework 😆.  I have a little van project in the pipeline, once I’m over the Man Flu 🛏😴

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I started out yesterday morning with the thought of maybe getting it over the line. I started out by completing the interior, putting the windows in and such. 

20220508214204-f39d7de5-me.jpg

20220508214205-4a988c0c-me.jpg

Then I glued the roof in place. As you can see there was an imperfection in the paint on the bonnet. There was a dust fleck and I gently sanded it and tried to touch up with a bit of paint which of course didn't work. Also, I wasn't happy with the join of the roof and the rear cab wall. So I thought I'd quickly do some masking, get out the airbrush and touch up those spots. And then procedeed to completely bugger the paint on hood and cab. I don't know where my head was but fairly sure it wasn't where it should have been! Let's say I wasn't happy with what I had done. So no finish, in fact I didn't even touch the model until early this evening when I sanded the bonnet and upper rear cab wall as best I could. 

Masked way more carefully this time and reprimed and resprayed. 

20220508214205-859a584f-me.jpg

20220508214206-576f76cc-me.jpg

20220508214206-1f6e856b-me.jpg

I'll do a gloss coat tomorrow and take off the masking tape then. Hopefully no paint in spots where it shouldn't be. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I feel your pain with the paintwork Jeroen.  The price you pay for being a perfectionist!

And I'm only a mild case 🙂 

• Haha 1

I sprayed some gloss clear during a tea break earlier this afternoon and just pulled all the tape off. 

A bit of yellow paint went under the tape, but surprisingly little and it can be easily fixed. 

20220509154725-4c12fbe9-me.jpg

Now, I'm not going to let better be the enemy of good on the Scammell anymore and move on, I'm happy with this. 

20220509154725-14061e12-me.jpg

20220509154726-2c1f442a-me.jpg

Just a few bits and bobs left, and of course the crane itself which I'll need to wire up. 

• Like 5

It's on wheels. I was a bit enthusiastic when sanding the tyres flat and had to figure out which to put where, but luckily it worked out OK in the end.

20220509195319-9cd1e63c-me.jpg

The wheels were gloss coated after paint, then sprayed with Windsor and Newton's Matt Varnish. It was the first time I used it and some wheels got a little too much, which only showed up when it had dried. So now I know that a once over is more than enough to flatten things out really nicely. 

20220509195319-b541cd5b-me.jpg

The left rear wheel is good, while I gave the middle one too much. I'll weather the tyres a tiny bit so it should end up fine.

Anyway, it's starting to look like the impressive beast that it is. 

• Like 5

I still had some mojo left so I went ahead and installed the crane, including cables which I made up out of .10 lead wire. 

20220509214603-d1e80620-me.jpg

20220509214603-19b825e5-me.jpg

Very close now. 

• Like 5

Brilliant job Jeroen

There used to be one of these abandoned in an old garage, locally many years ago.

When the site was cleared for housing I always hoped someone had rescued it, thanks for bringing back the memories.

Before that as a nipper, they used to use these in tandem to haul big electrical transformers from the factory locally

IMG_6377

Cheers Pat

• Like 7

• JeroenS changed the title to IBG 1/35 Scammell Pioneer FINISHED

That's really nice, especially in the civvie scheme

I'm sorely tempted to add one of these, even though it's not my preferred scale, one in 1/24 would suit me better :) 

Only thing IMHO that it needs is some decals with Joe Bloggs breakdown service or suchlike to really make it stand out 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Only thing IMHO that it needs is some decals with Joe Bloggs breakdown service or suchlike to really make it stand out 

Thanks Ian, and of course you couldn't be more right. I looked through my box labeled "Decals" earlier in the build and couldn't really find anything suitable. But then I looked in my cabinet again, with the Scammell standing next to a 1/24 Bedford Wrecker... they're about the same size. So I started decal hunting again and .... I found my leftover Bedford decals (from 2 builds, including that wrecker) in another box! 

So I used some of those and they're a good match. I just put them on so they're still drying and in need of some more Microsol but I think they have the desired effect. 

20220519200237-928aa1d6-me.jpg

20220519200237-ec48eab0-me.jpg

20220519200237-96dbb257-me.jpg

I'm sorely tempted to add one of these, even though it's not my preferred scale, one in 1/24 would suit me better :) 

Well, don't let the scale put you off. 

20220519201348-f9fbf502-me.jpg

The thing is massive. And besides, I've seen you building 1/20 scale stuff as well, so there's really no excuse for not building in a different scale 😉 

• Like 6

That is so much better (not that it wasn't good before) it just sets it of completely now :) 

You are correct, I do build in different scales occasionally, like the 2 Matchbox 1/32 cars I did, but I tend to stick to 1/24 for my rally stuff and most F1 happens to be 1/20 

It's just that as I've got older smaller scales have become more fiddly with old eyes and ex rugby playing fingers that have been broken too many times to remember ;) 

Looking at the last pic though, it's quite big. I've just started the Bedford LWB dropside for this GB, so I might get a Scammel at some point :) 

Thanks

Ian :) 

I've just started the Bedford LWB dropside for this GB

You did? Oh I missed that, I'm going to check it out. Built one for a Blitz Build. So cool, these Bedford kits. 

• Like 1