PK-064: HMS Kelly (built as HMS Kimberley) +++ Finished+++

Hi all.  It's time to open up the thread for my second contribution to the Group Build - the Revell re-pop of HMS Kelly.

AVvXsEhU4FKOyNG2BuyrXpe8IOQdXUF1Pz8CEiHS

The kit also includes optional parts, decals and painting instructions for one of Kelly's sister ships, HMS Kipling.

Not satisfied with this, I intend to build mine as HMS Kimberley.  The main reason for this, is that most of my wife's family are called Kimberley (surname that is - not forenames ;)).

AVvXsEifNneCFseAv2KfpKfOpQzXuVjf6eKEb6pd

Inspired by @psdavidson's HMS Ariadne build, I've also bought an Atlantic Models PE set.  I've got the same HMS Ariadne set (there being none available for K class destroyers), but I'm optimistic that I should still be able to use quite a bit of it.

AVvXsEj-qgWlvfaLfk01cUYwaZAIJDfTCuGyQ1qP

Before I can start the build, I've got to work out precisely how HMS Kimberley was equipped, relative to Kelly and Kipling. 

I've found some photos of Kimberley wearing dazzle camouflage (which I'm planning to replicate), so I'll need to make sure that the fit-out corresponds with that particular time in her career.

Cheers

• Like 10

Nice to see this wee ship being built Cliff and best of luck with the PE application.

Now as family names go when I first met the future Mrs RL, I soon realised that her middle name, her sister, two cousins and probably all their pets had the same middle name of "Jane". When I found this out I assumed that somewhere in the family tree there must have been a "Jane" who was either famous or quite special to them. So when I asked the obvious question "Who is this Jane person" you can imagine my utter surprise when she said "no, no one, I think they just liked the name" !!  What a weird lot I married into, should have read the tea leaves there and then! 

Cheers. and best of luck.. Dave  

• Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all.  I've just got back from a week's holiday and managed to sneak Kelly/Kimberley into my suitcase.

Prohibited from taking any modelling items that were 'smelly', I had to limit myself to cutting and sanding.

I didn't get much spare time, but was able to start drilling out the portholes.

AVvXsEjVd65B-mh5PPrvxTxPxXb2ZtrQB-3qco_p

I've successfully done this before on a 1/500 warship, but it proved to be much more difficult in 1/700.  My spacing is not perfect (but to be honest, neither was Matchbox's), but should look OK when not being stared at ;).

Cheers

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 05/03/2022 at 07:31, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice to see this wee ship being built Cliff and best of luck with the PE application.

Now as family names go when I first met the future Mrs RL, I soon realised that her middle name, her sister, two cousins and probably all their pets had the same middle name of "Jane". When I found this out I assumed that somewhere in the family tree there must have been a "Jane" who was either famous or quite special to them. So when I asked the obvious question "Who is this Jane person" you can imagine my utter surprise when she said "no, no one, I think they just liked the name" !!  What a weird lot I married into, should have read the tea leaves there and then! 

Cheers. and best of luck.. Dave  

It could have been worse Dave, there might be a family out there with "Tarzan" as a middle name, if indeed the universe is balanced  :whistle:

Great stuff Cliff, apologies for the thread hijack :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/20/2022 at 9:07 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Great start Cliff and good luck with that tiny PE.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  It looks like I won't be using that much of Ariadne's PE set, mainly because the two ships (Ariadne and Kimberley), share absolutely no common armament apart from their depth charges.  This did surprise me a little!  Still, I'll be able to use the handrails and mast improvements which should provide the greatest visual impact :).

I've now finished drilling out all of the portholes and have started some assembly (although most of the superstructure bits are only dry fitted at the moment).  There have been no nasty surprises, although I will need to use a little filler at the stern

AVvXsEiO3NhwX_zLifTN-j7GqQS05mpOI2ZDdgcu

Initially I had trouble getting the parts to stick together - my usual Tamiya Extra Thin was proving to be totally ineffective.  I'd also noticed that the plastic had an unusual matt feel to it.  Eventually it dawned on me that the kit's previous owner had sprayed a thin coat of primer over all the parts and sprues!  The colour of the primer is almost exactly the same as the grey of the plastic, so even when tidying the parts up I hadn't noticed :banghead:

Cheers

• Like 5

You don't say why you were surprised, but the heart of the matter is that Kimberley and the other Fleet destroyers were primarily designed for surface action, and hence the preferred 4.7" guns in low-angle mounts.  The minelayers would avoid surface action at all costs and their main threat was enemy aircraft, so they were fitted with the preferred 4" guns in high-angle mountings (actual dual role in other ships).  To say more would require a considerable article, but various reasons for these decisions can be found in various histories of these ships, and British destroyer histories in general.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Graham Boak, I really appreciate your input which has given me a little more insight into the relative roles of these two ships.  The truth is, I'm way out of my comfort zone here!   I'd hoped that there would've been more standardisation between similarly sized RN ships but, IIRC, not even the secondary AA armament was the same in this case.  It will be interesting to see just how much of the Ariadne PE fret I am able to use :winkgrin:.

Cheers

Light AA varied considerably depending upon what they could get and what stage of the war it was.  From a  quick look, it seems that you do get a 4-barrel pom-pom (or two) which would carry across, I'm not sure what else.  I don't see any single oerlikons.  You could also have Lewis guns or single-barrel 2pdr (pom-poms),  Kimberley probably had a 3" AA gun in place of the aft tubes, at some time, most destroyers did.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

It will be interesting to see just how much of the Ariadne PE fret I am able to use

I'm wondering the same, the difference being that I'm actually building Ariadne :doh:

Looking good so far

The rails and mast details should contribute to the overall appearance even if the guns don't make an appearance

/P (typing around a cat)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

A bit more progress to report, as I've assembled a few more bits like the main armament and the Carley floats.

I've also added my first bits of PE - replacing the yardarms.

Here are the 'before and after' photos!

P1120895.JPG

P1120896.JPG

Cheers

• Like 6

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks great Cliff, I hope the funnel hasn't been snaffled by the carpet monster in the second photo :wink:

Cheers Pat 

LOL.  and I'd tried sooo hard to get those two photographs to be identical :banghead:

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

It really is time that I got back on to this one (tick tock).

Thinking about how I would fix the PE handrails, I decided that I would need some kind ledge to butt them against.  So I've stretched some sprue and glued it around the outer edge of the deck.  It's very fine, but should hopefully be sufficient to locate the PE.

P1130011.JPG

Cheers

• Like 6

I've identified a couple of other areas where I can use the Ariadne PE.

P1130012.JPG

At the top you can see the PE depth charge rack (c/w charges made from plastic rod).  Alongside it, is the original kit part.

Also, there are thwarts for the ship's two open boats.

I think this ends my opportunities for more construction at the moment, so it's time for some painting :)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a landmark today, as I finally got the masking tape off.

P1130030.JPG

Just a few more fiddly bits to add, plus of course the dreaded PE handrails!  I might also give it a subtle, streaky wash to give some depth and to soften the 'newness' of the paint.

Cheers

• Like 6

I'm calling this one finished for now :)

In truth, I still need to add some pennant numbers (once I've sourced or made some), but that can wait!

P1130032.JPG

Thanks again to all of you who have supported this build and, of course, to Dave and Pat for handling the monumental task of hosting so well.

It's been a fantastic Group Build - well done fellas! :cheers:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• CliffB changed the title to PK-064: HMS Kelly (built as HMS Kimberley) +++ Finished+++

Wonderful job Cliff

This GB has been really special in so many ways  especially seeing so many maritime subjects being built and on display in the Gallery.

Congratulations Cliff, and the base sets it off to a tee :worthy:

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1