SAMI woes

HartDeco

20 hours ago, ckw said:

The problem with builds and other topics on this (and for that matter most other forums) is the 'noise' factor. What we see here is a sort of conversation, with lots of people chipping in - and as in real life conversations, going off on tangents. In many of the more popular 'works in progress' you might be lucky if you get 1 pertinent (i.e. directly related to the build progress) post in 20. Now that's fine in the context of a forum discussion, but it makes reading the whole thread a but tedious once completed. What would be brilliant would be if the build posts - and the more relevant comments - could be edited down into an article. But that's a lot of work.

Of course that's the role the editor plays (or should do) in a printed magazine - produce a product that's a pleasure to read. In the context of a forum, even if someone was willing to do it I can image all kinds of arguments and complaints from people who's posts on a given topic had been edited or ignored.

Cheers

Colin

I agree with you about the "noise" - but at the same time it is part and parcel of a forum.

I wouldn't want it taken away; it has entertainment value 😆 and more often than not somebody chips in with more info on the subject at hand 😉

When I really like a build I save it as a PDF then edit the entertainment out 😎

A quality modelling magazine (often) has better structure, possibly useful source material, and a short, funny commentary column (Remember Tailpiece? Rereading it still makes me smile)

Good building articles to a consistent high standard - possibly four or five complete with good WIP pictures. Articles with (pretty?) pictures of the finished model are generally speaking uninteresting . ten such articles are not better.

So - given all of the above and including good source material a scale modelling mag should still be attractive 😁

About source material - while it is possible to find good material on the Internet a good article with good scale drawings and well researched colour profiles is still an structured source. Most modellers do not have a compulsion to document every nook and cranny to the last rivet before starting a build like some of us do. One such source article may give enough info and inspiration for that elusive next project 😜

Cheers, Moggy (the librarian's cat)

Edited by Moggy
typo
  • Like 2

I agree Moggy that the 'noise' is often what makes a forum topic interesting.  For me there is still benefit in both online and magazine information, I use both. 

My preference for a magazine build article is one which describes both the good and bad in a kit.  Ideally it should  mention any oddities. oversights or errors in the kit moulding and instructions and suggest how the author dealt with those. Some WIP shots to add interest to completion photos are good.

I find simple stick part A to part B efforts tedious; I can read the instructions myself. Nor do I care for interminable yap about which shade of this or that proprietary paint was used. I'd rather hear more about what the writer thinks shows the model kit in its most realistic manner - often worn or faded schemes are appropriate, How to do those can be intriguing. I also like to read of a writer's occasional mistakes - and see some less than perfect models. It heartens me = I'm not the only idiot out there !  Done with humour it can be entertaining. 

• Like 5

I'm obviously slightly biased here, but I would say that there seems to be space for both 'online' and 'onpaper' still. 

The diversions and byways that online build threads can meander down are, of course, part of the charm, and can be entertaining and informative too. They can however also add length and often some amount of tedium to proceedings, especially if things boil over or become so totally off topic as to confuse. There is also the issue of potentially interesting threads that go on at a pace for a while and then simply die because the OP has lost interest in the build or just can't be bothered to post (and it can be arduous to try and maintain a constant flow of updates).

The print magazine still presents the reader with a complete, self contained article, that's hopefully edited well to make it germain and engrossing. At SAM we prefer articles that have as much work-in-progress as possible because we are aware that online can often be a better place to post large numbers of pictures of the finished model, and we'd rather use the space we have to tell a more balanced story.
The quality of the article can only ever be as good as what's submitted, although (and I speak from experience) while it's impossible to make a better model for them, it's perfectly possible to polish a contributors words. If the modelling is good then the text can always be made to match. That's kind of what the editors job is - along with selecting the articles too - it's to ensure that a contribution is displayed to the readers in the best way. People often say they are no good at writing and that's what puts them off submitting items to a magazine: but if you think about it - that should put people off posting online too. You shouldn't let it though - we always say 'just tell us what you did and why'. We can then make that into an article. 

At Guideline Publications we always pay, and pay on time. And we always publish, and publish on time.  That's why we have a queue of people that want to write for us, and what we print is interesting.

I'd say it's better to have modelling available over a range of media than try and limit it to a few. Each has its advantages and each has its limits. Don't let a few rotten apples put you off either- you also get them online anyway just as you do in the real world.

cheers

Jonners

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

At Guideline Publications we always pay, and pay on time.

Just to confirm Jonners words.

I have been an infrequent contributor to SAM for the past seven years after a bad experience "elsewhere" and that has most definitely been my experience with both Neil during his brief return and Gary since with not only payment being made 'on time' but an invitation to submit my Invoice always arriving well before publication date (eg earlier this week for the next issue due out towards the end of the month) with payment more often than not made before the magazine actually hits the shelves.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Des said:

Just to confirm Jonners words.

I have been an infrequent contributor to SAM for the past seven years after a bad experience "elsewhere" and that has most definitely been my experience with both Neil during his brief return and Gary since with not only payment being made 'on time' but an invitation to submit my Invoice always arriving well before publication date (eg earlier this week for the next issue due out towards the end of the month) with payment more often than not made before the magazine actually hits the shelves.

I have the same experience with SAM magazine. Never had to ask for money and, like you said, it's already in my account before the magazines hit the stores. Fortunately, most if not all other magazines I contribute too, are in the same corner as SAM.

René

• Like 2

On 13/04/2022 at 17:07, Moggy said:

When I really like a build I save it as a PDF then edit the entertainment out

Exactly - but scale this up to all of BM, and its clear that a lot of work would be needed to turn BM content into a 'magazine'

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against the 'noise' - it is all part and parcel of BM and helps make it an enjoyable place to visit, but it wouldn't really work as part of a magazine article.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 3:27 AM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

while it's impossible to make a better model for them, it's perfectly possible to polish a contributors words

dammit

• Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any other magazines other than SAMI/SMMI which accept your built kit photos? I have tried some. They ask for build steps too. Then there are other who dont even respond to queries. 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:07 PM, HartDeco said:

I have the same experience with SAM magazine. Never had to ask for money and, like you said, it's already in my account before the magazines hit the stores. Fortunately, most if not all other magazines I contribute too, are in the same corner as SAM.

René

Lucky you! 👍:)

1 hour ago, stalal said:

Are there any other magazines other than SAMI/SMMI which accept your built kit photos? I have tried some. They ask for build steps too. Then there are other who dont even respond to queries. 

Most, if not all magazines want to publish a full build instead of photos of a finished model only.

René

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stalal said:

Many magazines will have something such as a 'Write For Us' link on their website providing directions on how to contact them and/or perhaps even setting out their requirements for contributors.

Buying print or download copies of the magazine to read will give a feel for their house style and the type of features that they print.

Alternatively some publishers provide free download samples of their products such as this from Guideline for their May 2022 issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling  - https://online.fliphtml5.com/mlju/afjs/  -  while not providing full articles it does give a page or two from each that provides an introduction to their particular style.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Christopher Jenkins said:

Sorry if this topic has now bored everyone silly, but has there been any further about SAMI/SMMI? I haven't received my subscription copies for three months, and even the pathetic excuses from the subscriptions department have now dried up. Any developments...? 

Nope, nothing since their promises to sent latest magazine with FREE 14.99 BOOK, which was DELAYED due to the unforeseen additional POSTAGE charges which they did not account for. TBH i dont think we will see them again.

• Like 4

On 04/06/2022 at 13:26, Christopher Jenkins said:

Sorry if this topic has now bored everyone silly, but has there been any further about SAMI/SMMI? I haven't received my subscription copies for three months, and even the pathetic excuses from the subscriptions department have now dried up. Any developments...? 

There is no "Subscriptions Department". It's all one bloke who doesn't know wrong from wrong.

On 04/06/2022 at 13:56, Hardtarget said:

Nope, nothing since their promises to sent latest magazine with FREE 14.99 BOOK, which was DELAYED due to the unforeseen additional POSTAGE charges which they did not account for. TBH i dont think we will see them again.

And even better, half the stores that did receive these issues, didn't have books in them. Great bit of false advertising there. To be honest, I'm glad they're gone - such a bad scar on the modelling community. 
Glad the Phoenix guys got out of there and are doing their thing now - Glory to Phoenix!

• Like 9

On 6/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, Christopher Jenkins said:

It's really sad that the 3 magazines that are (were?) run by them landed where they are now. The quality and content used to be very good but that all seems to be history now. I feel sorry for all the people that renewed their subscription and won't receive any magazines anymore.

René

• Like 6

I’m now a Phoenix convert. The magazine quality is the best I’ve seen in a magazine for a number of years, and the content varied. 
My local WH Smith’s had 6 copies of SAMI’s May issue in (you know, the one with "FREE" book!). I popped in the same branch, over the weekend, and the same 6 copies are on the shelf. 
I have heard that the owner of SAM Publications has gotten into to trouble with their distributors, and Smith’s, over false sales figure claims. He actually sent me a "copy" of the sales spreadsheet, trying to persuade me to contribute to SAMI, because all was good. 

• Like 5

On 6/7/2022 at 5:41 PM, Wee Beastie said:

I’m now a Phoenix convert. The magazine quality is the best I’ve seen in a magazine for a number of years, and the content varied. 

Unless perhaps one has actually seen an RAF Hawk ?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Des said:

Unless perhaps one has actually seen an RAF Hawk ?

What do you mean exactly? The Hawk by Vini is a great build. Everyone's build styles are different but it still looks like a Hawk and is a respectable build. What's your problem with it exactly? The publication is still outstanding with it included..?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Warwolf said:

What do you mean exactly? The Hawk by Vini is a great build. Everyone's build styles are different but it still looks like a Hawk and is a respectable build. What's your problem with it exactly? The publication is still outstanding with it included..?

15 minutes ago, Wee Beastie said:

I have thanks. Trying to work out the relevance though. 🤔

The wings - mentions that the kit parts are undersized and wrongly shaped (not easily remedied with any kit) but no mention that the very obvious multiple wing fences as supplied with the kit parts and were retained for the build were not fitted on RAF aircraft and that the four pylon fit as modelled was not used in UK service.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Des said:

The wings - mentions that the kit parts are undersized and wrongly shaped (not easily remedied with any kit) but no mention that the very obvious multiple wing fences as supplied with the kit parts and were retained for the build were not fitted on RAF aircraft and that the four pylon fit as modelled was not used in UK service.

I hope the quality of a magazine isn't being rated by the accuracy of the kits built in it. 

René

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Des said:

Problem is, not every one builds to the most accurate of details. I will for Hunters as that's my passions but most people just build for building. If it looks like a Hawk, it is a Hawk 🤷🏻‍♂️

22 hours ago, HartDeco said:

I hope the quality of a magazine isn't being rated by the accuracy of the kits built in it. 

René

Agreed.

Edited by Warwolf
  • Like 4

On 07/06/2022 at 17:41, Wee Beastie said:

My local WH Smith’s had 6 copies of SAMI’s May issue in (you know, the one with "FREE" book!). I popped in the same branch, over the weekend, and the same 6 copies are on the shelf. 
I have heard that the owner of SAM Publications has gotten into to trouble with their distributors, and Smith’s, over false sales figure claims. He actually sent me a "copy" of the sales spreadsheet, trying to persuade me to contribute to SAMI, because all was good. 

I'm willing to give them a go. The quality of the magazines seems good and the issues do appear to be coming out regularly! One wonders how it is that Phoenix can make such a good a go of it, while SMMI/SAMI are clearly floundering, if not actually defunct.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Christopher Jenkins said:

I'm willing to give them a go. The quality of the magazines seems good and the issues do appear to be coming out regularly! One wonders how it is that Phoenix can make such a good a go of it, while SMMI/SAMI are clearly floundering, if not actually defunct.

That's not too difficult to explain. The owners/editors of Phoenix have a ton of experience producing scale modelling magazines and the contributors have all switched from the dark side to Phoenix.

René

• Like 5

5 hours ago, HartDeco said:

That's not too difficult to explain. The owners/editors of Phoenix have a ton of experience producing scale modelling magazines and the contributors have all switched from the dark side to Phoenix.

René

Exactly this. All us contributors have abandoned MAM/SAMI for all the previous reasons seen in this thread and others which I won't go into. 

Andy and the team know how to run a mag and produce a mag, unlike the owners of MAM/SAMI who only did it for the money (that's literally what we were told at one point). 

Phoenix 4 life yo 🤙

• Like 6